Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to use TT3 maps on TTM?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to use TT3 maps on TTM?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZrednaZ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: How to use TT3 maps on TTM? Reply with quote

I've read here that it's supposed to be possible, but I can't seem to make it work myself. On the 'TTM Maps of Western Europe' CDs the maps just contain these large CAB-files that are useless when transferred to my phone. Is there some kind of extraction method that I'm missing here? 8O

/Zred
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. You need to run the installer program, and extract the maps onto storage card (doesn't matter which installer you run, or if this is the Pocket PC's storage card or the phone's storage card)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
ZrednaZ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When trying to run the installer:

"Your PC does not support the devices for which there are applications in this package. Please install the supporting software first and run Setup again. Setup will now end." Laughing Rolling Eyes
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ActiveSync must be present.

If it is not then this raises a few eyebrows here...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
BipolarChucker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little surprised by your response there lbendlin. Remember that we are in a TomTom Mobile forum and TomTom Mobile infact runs on Symbian Series 60 phones that don't require any form of ActiveSync at all to install the TomTom Mobile software in a Symbian based phone.

I own a Nokia 6600, if someone told me that buying the Maps Of Western Europe CD would allow me to have these maps on TomTom Mobile I would be tempted to go out and buy it. I have no need for ActiveSync on my PC because I simply don't own any devices that require ActiveSync. That's right, no PPC and no SPV!

Having acquired a copy of the Western Europe Maps on CD intimates no illegal activity, irrespective of the presence, or lack thereof, of ActiveSync on this users PC. Remember... Mobile... NOT Navigator.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BipolarChucker wrote:
I'm a little surprised by your response there lbendlin. Remember that we are in a TomTom Mobile forum and TomTom Mobile infact runs on Symbian Series 60 phones that don't require any form of ActiveSync at all to install the TomTom Mobile software in a Symbian based phone.

Not entirely correct. TomTom Mobile runs on Symbian AND on Windows Mobile Smartphone. The latter one requires ActiveSync to be present.

I have no expertise on the installer for Symbian (as you have noticed) - maybe someone else can help.

The TomTom Mobile forum is not just for Symbian based phones.!

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
ZrednaZ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, BipolarChucker... I've never needed ActiveSync for my 6600 until now. In fact, I still don't really need it. :P It apparently just needs to be installed for TomTom's satisfaction. However, installing ActiveSync off MS's website fired up the TomTom intallation program and everything seems to be working fine now. This is not only nice because I can install any European country I need, it's also good in the sense that it's saved me the cost of buying a new, larger MMC card. You see, the entire map of Scandinavia was included on my original 256 MB TT MMC card, filling it up to the bursting point with only a few MB to spare. Now I can choose to only have Denmark on the on the card, thus saving 220 MB which I can use for my other phone apps. :D
Swapping cards was already beginning to drive me insane, and I've only owned it for 4 days. Can't imagine the Nokia 6600 was built for constant card swapping, either.

Btw, a little question in regards to the TT3 map installer: When transferring countries you can choose between the countries themselves (obviously), but you can also choose to install a "+/-16MB map" or a "+/-32MB map".. What's that all about? :o
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are smaller map cuts - just parts of countries or regions.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Gadjet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just confirm what you're saying

If I buy Tomtom mobile and get it on my C500 I can then buy the Tomtom 3 European maps and use these on my C500 instead of My PocketPC, what about activation ?? 8O
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Activation is not the point here. The point is that you must legally own both products (which you plan to do).

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
BipolarChucker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:

Not entirely correct. TomTom Mobile runs on Symbian AND on Windows Mobile Smartphone. The latter one requires ActiveSync to be present.

I have no expertise on the installer for Symbian (as you have noticed) - maybe someone else can help.

The TomTom Mobile forum is not just for Symbian based phones.!

It was entirely correct, I simply saw no need to mention the fact that TomTom Mobile works on Symbian AND Windows Mobile Smartphones since this user quite obviously doesn't have a Windows Mobile Smartphone and therefore has no need for ActiveSync, much like myself. No point typing information that is of no use nor consequence don't you agree?

I realise you are just trying to defend yourself, however, you assumed that I wasn't aware of TomTom Mobile being designed for both Symbian and Windows Mobile Smartphones, quite a silly assumption considering the sheer number of posts regarding making TomTom Mobile operable on SPV C500s within this very forum. Surely you hadn't expected me to miss them?

If the truth be known, you still don't need ActiveSync on your PC to install TomTom Mobile onto a SPV E200, you simply insert the MMC card supplied in the box. At no point do you need to attach it to a PC with ActiveSync for TomTom Mobile to work!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point. Let's rephrase it then. ActiveSync is required for the average user as soon as you want to change the content of the MMC. Even if you use a card reader, the TomTom installer still expects ActiveSync to be present.

of course you can extract the maps manually but that's beyond what an average user would do

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Gadjet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Activation is not the point here. The point is that you must legally own both products (which you plan to do).

Of Course.

It's just that I've used the PPC TT3 for a long time an I bought both UK and Germany (due to frequent trips) and I wanted to move to TTM but could not see how I could get UK and Germay without buying two GPS receivers, having to buy another one is bad enough (I have an Emtac BT receiver already).

I'm now happy :D that I can use TTM on a C500 and get other maps of Europe - I'm sure the Tomtom FAQ actually states that you can not load other maps Question

I had to activate each map when I used it for the first time on the PPC and wondered about the TTM version, thanks for the info.

Phil

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: