Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - not enough routing memory!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

not enough routing memory!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gary_the_tutor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: not enough routing memory!! Reply with quote

I have had my ipaq4150 & navman4410 with smartST v2 working fine with the all UK maps installed on a 512 card.

Iam going down south of france soon, so I put all the france maps on the card as well (still leaving 80mb free).

when calculating the route, it gets to about 98% then it tells me "not enough routing memory".

Thinking about this I took off all UK maps and did a route from Calais to the south. This worked it out fine untill I did a route demonstrator, where an error occured and shut the program down.

Even when I only put one area of France on the mem card, it and do a route in that area, it still will not do a route demonstrator.

Am I going to have a problem when I enter France?
Shoud I get another card for the France maps?
Should the route demonstrator work with all maps?

Looking forward to hear your response, as I am lost for ideas.

With thanks Gary!!!
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, are you running the latest SP for V2, I think it is something like 2.00.0036?

Second, you don't have to delete maps from your storage card. You merely have the ones you want to use 'selected' by ensuring there is a tick in the box to the left of the mapname and the ones you don't want to use 'deselected' - no tick.

Third, how much programme memory do you have on your iPAQ after doing a soft reset? Have you installed lots of programmes to your device's main memory? Can you tweak the slidebar to increase programme memory att he expense of storage memory?

If you want to tell me where your destination is (roughly will do) and which maps are active, I can do a comparison on my 3970, routing from the ferryport at Calais.

I have used my iPAQs in France, Spain and Portugal among other places with no untoward moments. It could be that when you run Route Demonstrator, you're trying to use just a bit more memory than the device has to offer.
gary_the_tutor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim

Thanks for your speedy sugestions.
The solution to the "route demonstrator" problem was indeed not having the latest updates. I was going on the Navman site for updates and low and behold it was telling me I had them. But I had only the 2.00.0029.

I had to re-install the software first, for it to give me the 2.00.0036. update.

The "not enough routing memory" still persists, but am I expecting it to do to much? As routing from Chesterfield, UK to Biron, Dordogne, France.

Maybe I should route from Chesterfield to Dover. Then from Calais to Biron, after unticking the maps not in use?

My main memory has 36mb free for programs from a max of 56mb total.
thought that should be plenty.

Thanks again
Gary!!!
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I loaded and activated the whole of France onto my SD card in my 3970 which, like your 4150, has 64Mb combined memory. I set a route from the ferry terminal at Calais to the centre, such as it is, of Biron. The route summary quoted 549.7 miles and I set the Route Demonstrator going, but at 61mph it's going to take some time to complete.

I didn't think that you could set routes across water in V2, so I'd set Biron as a favourite and do the navigation in two sections.

My iPAQ reports a total memory of 63.18Mb, split into 31.62 for storage (20.9 used, 10.72 free) and 31.56 Mb for programmes (17.04 used, 14.52Mb free)
sfi1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're trying to route from UK to france then you will get that error.
You can't route across the channel so i put in two destinations, the UK port and then treat the destination in europe as another journey (from calais or wherever).
I've always found the routing in europe bizarre so try and put the Calais to Biron route in beforehand and see the route that it comes up with. When you come to drive it it will be completely different (and worse). That has always frustrated me with this software.
gary_the_tutor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How am I to check what route the navman is taking me? as you say Tim on "route demonstrator" it will take hours.

On my PC I have "autoroute 2004" which shows me the route it has chosen.

Is there a way to see which route it will take me or is it pot luck?

Before I got the GPS I used "autoroute" and/or a good old fashioned road atlas, which worked well with my wife navigating (yes wife!!).

As this trip will take some hours, swaping drivers and the pasenger getting some shut eye, I thought the Satnav whould be ideal.

I do have a laptop with "autoroute 2004" and bluetooth. Would this be a better solution?

Thanks
Gary!!
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In map view, scroll to Calais. As I said, I used the Ferry Terminal, so zoom into it and then tap and hold the icon for it. A menu will pop up, the top option of which is "Set as departure..". Tap this, then scroll the map (zoom out a lot) to Biron (zoom back in) and tap and hold the screen at the point to which you want to navigate. The same dropdown menu will appear and this time tap the second option, "Navigate to..". At this point the route will be generated and you are automatically put into 3D Navigation mode. Pressing the right-hand rocker will put you into 2D Map mode, so you can then scroll along the route and see the roads which have been chosen for you.
sfi1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually the route provided this way is pretty good, just be prepared to ignore a lot of instructions on the actual journey when it deviates from it a lot. What i now do is create favourites between my departure and destination along the route to try and get it to stick to it. It's less than ideal and shouldn't really be necessary but does help.
gary_the_tutor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now found the route navman wants to take me. It differs slightly from autoroute 2004.
Not sure now, which would be the best route.
Both set to quickest, Autoroute is 14miles shorter.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the joys of alternative routing!
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try setting the preferences to 'Shortest' in SmartST.
see how that compares to AutoRoute.

Quickest is not always the shortest as the s/w will take the fastest roads which may not be the most direct route.

For instance, when I travel to Manchester from home, the shortest route is 16 miles and takes 45+ minutes, however the quickest route is 22.5 miles but only takes 30 minutes.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
gary_the_tutor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just like to thank you guys for all the help you have given me with the problems I encountered.

Maybe you have delt with them on more than one occation, which makes it great that you have spent so much time helping me out.

I will let you know how I get on in France and also keep checking the site.

Good work
Thanks again

Gary!!!
nbusbridge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a trip of that length I wouldn't have thought 14 miles here or there would make very much difference Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: