Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator 3 - Bluetooth Stops Updating/Hangs/Freezes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator 3 - Bluetooth Stops Updating/Hangs/Freezes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Navigator 3 - Bluetooth Stops Updating/Hangs/Freezes Reply with quote

IPAQ 3870 ppc 2002 3.0.11171 with updated version of bluetooth manager

While driving with navigation on - the map stops updating, and the display at the bottom changes from distance to next instruction to the MPH. The software has not frozen and it is possible to go to the menu by tapping the screen, and return back to the navigate screen. However neither of these actions can restart the updating of the navigate display, and it remains stuck at a particular location.

The problem can be remedied by exiting the navigator application and restarting the Navigator program or switching the TomTom Bluetooth Transmitter off and on. The position then is quickly updated and starts working correctly.

This problem keeps happening, on a recent journey (Reading to London) it occurred about every 10 - 15 minutes. The problem occurs on most but not all journeys and appears to be random. The problem is completely random on the same journey - to and from work - about 1 hour - sometimes no hangs - sometimes several.

I have tried different map sizes, and am now running from the 128Mb map on a new 128Mb SDCard. I have experimented with different locations of the TomTom Bluetooth transmitter. I am currently running with recently downloaded TomTom traffic update, and this has made no difference to the reliability. Problem does not appear to be related to battry charge and occurs on full charge and low charge without any pattern.

The bluetooth connection between the IPAQ and my phone works completely reliable, and I feel there is some glitch in the Navagator program dealing with the TomTom receiver.

Problem also occurs after reset of IPAQ.

Any assistance with problem would be most appreciated - thanks.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably a processor load phenomenon, somewhat akin to the crashing that quite a few people have found with TomTom Navigator 3, Bluetooth GPS, maps on an SD card on an iPAQ h2210 - change any one element and the system works.

The iPAQ 3800 series have a very slow SD slot and the old Bluetooth stack in the Pocket PC 2002 ROMs isn't the most robust stack ever. TomTom Navigator 3 works the memory card hard (which will load the 3870 quite heavily bearing in mind its inefficient SD hardware) and I suspect this load is too much to keep the Bluetooth connection entirely stable. At this point, the inability of the old Bluetooth stack to recover the connection creeps in.

You may find things rather more robust if you buy a CompactFlash expansion pack and CompactFlash memory card for your 3870 - but I can't guarantee that will provide a fix.

Is there anyone else using such a setup on a Pocket PC 2002 3800 series who has any suggestions?

David
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you updated to version TT 3.07?

I experience similar symptoms at the beginning, but subsequent updates have cured it.
Jammer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread.
I have an iPaq 3870, Tomtom Navigator 3.03 and Fortuna Clip On.

I did have a few frustrating bugs in the ealry days.
But... now the whole kit runs superbly smoothly.

OK... it still freezes sometimes - it doesn't like having the Fotuna turned off... left for a while and then coming back to it.
On these occasions, a reboot fixes it.

I don't ever have any other programs running on the 3870 - maybe that's something you could try?
I purchased TTN3 with Bluetooh receiver for someone for use with an iPaq 1940. They used to have all sorts of problems - which 'seem' to have gone away by making sure that there is nothing else running.

The only problem I have is the backlight switching off. (Question posted in another thread.)
So... I have to have the backlight permamnetly switched on.
That's OK for me, as I don't use the iPaq for anything else.
(This problem never occured with Navigator 3.00 - something you may want to try out...?)

Hope the above is of some help.

And... also... a side question: from what I read on the Tomtom website, I thought I was right in thinking that Navigator 3.07 is only meant for specific models of Pocket PC? It says something like: please upgrade is you have one of the following models...?? Confused

From what I've read of your problems... I think I'll stick with what I've got and won't upgrade Navigator. Don't want to rock the boat. Smile
London
Currently testing Fortuna to see if it's any good!
pag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigator version started with 3.03 and is now 3.07t (442) which is the result of applying the traffic update in Dec04. The Navigator was bought in November 04.

Thanks for the responses. DavidW's response seems to make a lot of sense, and I suspect the performance of the 3870 is borderline for the successful operation of the program. I am pleased to hear from other 3870 owners who are using Navigator 3 successfully. The backlight problem mentioned does strike a chord with me, currently it is on automatic, and I wonder if the toggling on and off may be causing problems.

I plan to do a hard reset of the IPAQ and reload everything, I am also considering getting a 2nd IPAQ off eBay and might get a H2210. Is this model likely to be more successful? What models would guarantee success without breaking the bank?

Thanks in advance.
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have TT Traffic installed.

Maybe this is overloading your iPaq's processor/memory?
porkypig
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: TT3 Freezing Reply with quote

I've had this problem with TT3 on an XDA2 in use with low cost 512MB SD cards. I believe it is a problem with speed of data retrieval from the SD card.
A quick fix on route is to change to another map then back to the map in use, this will 'unfreeze' TT3.
To check your system remove the SD card and load a small 16mb into the PDA memory and see if the freezing still occurs.
If no freezing, it's probably the quality of the SD card that's causing the problem.
Mine works ok when running with a scandisk128MB card but not pny or bytestore 512mb cards.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best waqy i found stop this was make sure the receive all imcoming beams was switched off in the ir connection and in tt3 go to the properties and select poi at the top is a checkbox(show poi) un check this and exit tt3 then restart and try that.
everything is still there you just wont see the poi icon on the map so checkpoint will still work it worked on the 2210

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: