Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How good is the Navigon software?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How good is the Navigon software?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jammer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: How good is the Navigon software? Reply with quote

I'd like some feedback on the Navigon software.
It seems to be very well priced compared to the likes of Tomtom.

How does it compare?
It seems to have essential tools like Postcode finder - an essential item missing from Tomtom (nothaving to install a third party tool is much better!)

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jam
London
Currently testing Fortuna to see if it's any good!
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for asking Jammer.

I've had MN4 running on my iPAQ 4350 for a week now and find it pretty stable, it has had problems but usually when I switch it off at the end of a journey.

I have had experience of both TomTom and MN4 and I prefer the look and feel of MN4 (I know there are a lot of you who will disagree with me on this) once you get used to the screens it is a better application.

I do have concerns over it's reliability over long distances though. For some strange reason I keep loosing my signal and TMC for no reason. I've even set it up in the Conservatory with a fix for an hour to see if it can hold the signal but more often than not it looses it - attach an external antenna and this issue dissappears.

This morning I was on a trip to Leeds and for some reason never acquired a fix either on the way there or back - luckily I only wanted to use it for the traffic. I'll be happier when I get to the bottom of why this happened.

Chris
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jammer

Quote:
I'd like some feedback on the Navigon software

I use a Medion PDA that comes with a cut down version of Navigon v4.2
It works very well, unlike chrisW i have not had any problems with the software at all, being using since last November.

Not sure if the full version is different from mine as regards the postcode search, in the medion version you can only input the first 4 digits and not the whole code.

e.g. you tap One destination - Address - Town - then enter the first 4 digits - say b19 1 will come back as Birmingham (B19 1), West Midlands

If you then except that you can go to Show on map.

When searching for towns, roads, house number etc, it's found all of the places i've tried.

It has got the M6 toll as iv'e used it several times.

It sometimes has a problem at junctions, the map will flip 90 degs when in navigation mod, the voice instructions have always been correct as which way you need to turn, but if this is at traffic lights say, and you glance at the screen, makes you wonder if you herd correctly, as the map shows that you have already made the turn, this does not always happen, but have seen other posts on this subject.

Overall I am very pleased with it, but have not used any other GPS like this before, only an inbuilt unit in my wife's car.

Regards

PocketGps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: