Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Open letter to TomTom about address lookup (Navigator 3 GB)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Open letter to TomTom about address lookup (Navigator 3 GB)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DelBoyUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geraint wrote:
You can download it from http://www.digitools.co.uk/ukpostcode.php

In answer to your question, if you typed in LS16 9FP, it would not give you a list of all streets whose postcode started LS16 9.

Follow the URL above - it will tell you all aboiut the tool.

I use it and think it's great.

Spot on that, excellent app.

Fangio18
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have just upgraded to TT3 (V3.03) from TT2 but have yet to road test it but as I am on the road a lot it will get a good test.

I did not know about this forum before I upgraded Sad

God, I hope it works as I will be using it for work!

I am running a Compaq HP3970 IPAQ will I need any further updates? I am considering already trying this "ukpostcode" plug-in but I will try the TT3 first and see how I go besides if I do not get away from the PC soon my other half will remove my legs and therefore I will no longer need Sat Nav :D

I will post my road test of TT3 soon unless I get lost! Sad
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only update that should concern you as an iPAQ 3900 series user is the SD driver fix available from hp.com.

It applies to the latest (and presumably last) Pocket PC 2002 ROMs (2.10 on the 3970, 1.11 on the 3950), and improves SD memory card performance significantly. Do follow the instructions carefully - otherwise you can corrupt your Pocket PC's ROM.

If, like me, your 3900 series has been upgraded to Pocket PC 2003, the fix is already incorporated in the Pocket PC 2003 ROM. If you are still contemplating a Pocket PC 2003 upgrade, you need to act soon, as HP are discontinuing the upgrade kits at the end of the year.

The 3900 series are still good machines, if a little heavy. Mine was in daily use up until last week, when I finally replaced it with a new iPAQ hx4700.

David
rento
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fangio ur avatar really...

could you resize it so to un-hide the posts Twisted Evil
rento
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did try the 3.03 version which made no change at all to the way the map are extracted (Allegedly) 8)
But i have to admit that it seems impossible that tt3 is not able to extract maps properly; it should be its main task. I cannot believe that its developers have been so dum. And why the digital mapping company should have got it wrong... Their maps worked fine before.
My ultimate suspect is the middle process in which maps are converted to tomtom 3 maps. It must have caused a database corruption hence the deletion and misplacing of data. (i live in bedfordshire and tomtom 3 thinks is flintshire Laughing Out Loud!)
So again, the maps are trashed. Too expensive for tt to go back and redo the process? Probably, but is trashing is name.
Hello CoPilot!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did instead use the postcode finder, which works perfectely and found my address! ...I was beginning to feel lost. :D
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a bug that's affected TomTom Navigator back to at least version 2.02 with the part of the place name displayed in brackets - but this is purely a cosmetic bug. If, for example, you select a street in Marylebone in London, Navigator may well refer to it as Marylebone (Wigan) (I can't remember whether that's Navigator 2 or Navigator 3).

Apart from the uncorrected missing places (some were patched in 3.03, some weren't), Navigator 3.03 and upwards does have usable address lookup despite this cosmetic bug; you don't have to use a third party add-on to find streets.

There won't be new maps for Navigator 3 now - I would expect a new version of Navigator to emerge some time in the next 3-4 months, complete with new maps.

David
rento
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Is true i do not need pcode finder to find addresses, infact I use it to find addresses not implemented in the map. So... I was able to "find" (i mean locate really) my address, of course I could do that browsing... but for those other address which are unknown to me I could use the pcode finder so that i d know in what area I should expect to find the location.
feuh.. hope it makes sense.

BUT more the pot I ve found new maps for tt3 nav, I mean better maps.
The maps are claimed to be tt go maps and they work fine with tt nav 3.03.

I still have the flintshire hijack in it and it may still have some errors but it does have my address this time. Right now i feel a lot better about this product, specially after roadtested the Alturion software (dum dinosaur)

I am an happy bunny
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop! If you've "found" some TomTom Go maps and you don't own a Go, using those maps is in breach of the licence agreement governing your use of the TomTom Navigator software.

Whether you like the current situation or not, TomTom are shipping different map versions with their current products (Navigator 3 has the oldest maps of the current products). You aren't permitted to 'acquire' a later map from another product you don't own; doing so creates a liability for TomTom to pay a licence fee for the updated map to TeleAtlas, and they're not set up to do this.

I'm expecting a replacement for TomTom Navigator 3, with updated maps, some time in the next few months.

David
rento
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing U got me there... desperation has its madness!

Anyway I m still upset about the money I ve spent with tt 3 nav 4 months ago. Plus, the trick did help but doesnt satisfy me.
I am now decided to BUY a copilot 5 live. It claims to have 2004 maps! Also a previous post on this thread commented the product as being superior to tt3 nav.
The only draw back for me is that i have an ipaq 3950 (no bluetooth or gsm/gprs) so I wont be able to use the "live" bit of it unless some of you knows how i could link it with my p900 (bluetooth, web enabled smartphone).

By the way DavidW; are you actually going to sell the new maps??

If yes can you guarantee their reliability?

Thanks!
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't work for TomTom, I can't decide what they do and don't sell.

I do know that TomTom gave this explanation when they were asked about Go users copying apparently later maps from other Go users. The moderators and Pocket GPS World Team have a responsibility not to condone the breaking of licence agreements and similar.

For what it's worth, I think TomTom could improve their map upgrading policy; at the moment, their products have a range of map versions for fairly arbitrary reasons (there's two different map versions shipped with Go for the UK, both of which are later than the Navigator 3 Great_Britain map).

The licensing situation is that you get whatever is in your software pack, and that's it. There are no new maps available to purchase for TomTom Navigator 3 at present, and, like all maps, any maps that are part of a future upgrade are not guaranteed to be error free.

David
rento
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmmm
I think they should provide a trial version so that users could test maps.
Mapopolis is the only software that does it... and maps are really good. Dunno about the software itself though; couldnt make it work properly! Embarassed

Anyway its a shame that the best "looking" software (I think) has bad maps. Grrrr
alnero
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get up to date postcode imformation, you have to pay for it and pay regularly. The same if you want bang up to date navigation systems.The problem is houses and streets are always being built and postcodes are being changed or created and somebody has to survey all this and integrate it to existing map databases. And this costs a lot of money. I think satnav on some sort of subsription base is a better answer if your running a business. I bought a Mio 168 with ttn3, uk postcode and full speed camera software pre-loaded for £299.99 and it is fantastic for this amount. You have to be realistic though, up to date imformation does cost money.
Spudson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alnero,

Where did you get mio & ttn3 for £299? The best I've seen is £340.

Thx

S
alnero
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: MIO 168 +TTN3, SPEEDCAMERA, UKPOSTCODE Reply with quote

If you contact this dealer on ebay he will sort one out for you.. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5743806244#paymentinstructionstact
alnero
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: TTN3 Reply with quote

I bought a mio 168 with ttn3, uk speed camera and uk postcode, I think its brilliant. I know how to work round some of the search gripes. For £300.00 I cannot complain. If you want a live, constantly updated navigation system, :D :D then you have to pay a constantly updated subscription. I have had it for two weeks and I do 6-7 calls a day. Its worth every penny and more

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: