Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TeleAtlas to map 20 central/east Europe countries in 2005
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TeleAtlas to map 20 central/east Europe countries in 2005

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom/TeleAtlas Digital Map Data
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: TeleAtlas to map 20 central/east Europe countries in 2005 Reply with quote

November 05, 2004

Tele Atlas, a leading global provider of digital maps, is rapidly extending its European coverage eastwards. More than 20 central and east European countries will be represented in the Tele Atlas digital map data base during 2005. Added to the established European country coverage, this will take Tele Atlas European mapping to 40 countries. Extensive interconnecting road networks will be augmented by detailed street networks for many of the main population centres.

http://www.teleatlas.com/template_newsdetail.jsp?ctype=pressreleases&contentpage=1647.htm&clang=en&ccoun=uk
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While that sounds nice, TeleAtlas should concentrate on getting right the mapping of countries they currently have in their portfolio. For example, roads which haven't changed in ten years which still aren't mapped correctly, street names which appear to have been made up (I don't think even TeleAtlas can claim that calling Gay Road "Field Head" is a spelling mistake) and KFCs shown two streets away from their actual location hardly inspire confidence.....then of course there's searching by postal address; that would be a nice idea so why do they still make council area a priority?

My message to TeleAtlas would be not to bite off more than they appear to be able to chew.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting increasingly frustrated at TeleAtlas map errors - in some cases, they're introducing errors into map features that were previously correct. The TomTom Navigator 3 maps have one of the entrances to Hyde Park with roads not joined up so you can't navigate through it - I forget the name of the gate, but it's the one where West Carriage Drive meets the Bayswater Road. This was right in the Navigator 2 maps.

There's also a lot of residential roads in Dunstable, Bedfordshire marked as "Not for Navigation" - though this marking could be a TomTom error. Half of a road where a friend lives in Houghton Regis is missing completely, and you get nonsense routes towards the part of the road that is there because part of the road just off the main road is marked "Not for Navigation".

In my home town, the Post Office is shown the wrong side of the railway bridge (basically where a pub is), a petrol station that is still there is shown in a place that would totally mislead anyone trying to find it, and there's a fairly important B road in Woburn that hasn't been right in any TeleAtlas mapping I've seen - including the Navigator 2 maps.

There have been reports that TeleAtlas are to get a bit more pro-active in driving the roads; this can't come too soon in my opinion. I certainly share Tim's opinion.

David
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I published the inital post to kick-start this forum. It has certainly done that!

I agree with your comments that TeleAtlas need to 'get their finger out'.

Let the flood gates open...
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
AlfieB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the Revenue that they seem to be able to generate I wonder how bothered they really are about 'quality'Question Our problem being is that we seem to be stuck with them.

AlfieB Thumbs Up

Navman iCN630

Navman N60i

Navman Mio S505

Navman Mio Spirit 695 LM

Mio Spirit 7670 LM Truck
Icelus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...And TeleAtlas mapping problems are not only in Europe, here in America, we have the same frustration when using their maps.

Just to give you an idea of the magnitude of the problem, if you use the iCN510 to drive to the Miami International Airport using the POI location given by TeleAtlas map, you will end in the base of the Control Tower far away from the main entrance to the MIA.

I totally agree with Tim's opinion.

What is needed is more "quality" Arrow less "coverage"

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom/TeleAtlas Digital Map Data All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: