Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 5450 & Ipaq Navigation System
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

5450 & Ipaq Navigation System

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kesikun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: 5450 & Ipaq Navigation System Reply with quote

The story continues !

I have downloaded and installed a test gps s/w called "GPS info" from Navman(and the serial driver patch) . It installs & detects GPS jacket no problem and last night sucessfully found 10 sats . :D

Conclusion : The sleeve works with the 5450 .

However the Pocket Copilot V 3.1.5UK knows there is a GPS but refuses to find any sats and is a perverbial "chocolate teapot" . :x

Just spoke to Compaq/HP support and was told that this Jacket/Software is incompatible with 5450 .. Well agreed that the Pocket Copilot s/w is incompatible but sorry .....how can they say that the jacket is incompatible when clearly with "functioning" software it reports the long/lat via serial port COM4 .

I am being advised to send GPS Jacket back but as I got this very cheap I am retisent to do so and its probably cheaper for me to try to source some s/w that actually works ....

Any ideas what I can try as a free download that will do what copilot does so I can test before purchase ?

rwbthatisme
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: 5450 & Ipaq Navigation System Reply with quote

I don't know if you have the options in co-pilot to set the com/baud rate & gps scentence (com4,57600,NMEA 0183).

Try ozi explorer it costs a little but I think its worth the money, you'll have to make your own maps but thats not to difficult (& actually the accuracy can be a lot better than the maps you get with some of the others etc.)

cheerio

Richard
kesikun
Occasional Visitor

Does anyone know if the original Compaq "ipAQ Naviagation system" jacket will work with the 5450 .

This was made by Navman but I am unsure wether it will work .
rwbthatisme
Occasional Visitor

I understand that the IPAQ navigation sleeve is actually a Navman 3000 sleeve so the sleeve should work fine, as for the software I'm not sure as I've never used that. The only real difference being the compaq nav system came with the software & maps preinstalled on a 128mb cf card.

If you want to use the sleeve there is an updated driver for the navman sleeve here:http://www.navman.com/land/serial_driver.html

It works fine with my 5455 running smartpath & oziexplorer (so presume that it will work with the ipaq software. I'm upgrading to Tomtom Nav 2 as this looks the best option available now and if you have £110 (software / maps only) spare I think it'll be worth the investment.

Anyway Good luck & nice to have another 5455 owner out there!
kesikun
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the info regarding the serial driver patch ..I installed it and soft reset but still the GPS status does not pick up any satellites . The rest of the copilot s/w runs a treat ....

I suppose come the morning I will be onto Compaq TS to see its a dud unit .. I was a special from Insight.co.uk (used product) ie very cheap so I took a chance that it may work ..
Darren
Frequent Visitor

The 5450 does not currently function with Compaq iNS. The jacket works fine with other software e.g. TTNav but Compaq have confirmed that it is not compatible with the 5450 and were not able to state whether a fix eould be available.
rwbthatisme
Occasional Visitor

try downloading the gps info software from navman link herewhich will quickly tell you if you've got a functioning sleeve. remember the first fix might take 2/3mins

also with the copilot software are you setting the com port and baud rate correctly (com4 & 57600 works best)

hope the sleeves not dead (have you another Ipaq to test it on?)otherwise I'd get my money back.

Cheerio

Richard

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: