Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tsunami - Changing the Earth's rotational speed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tsunami - Changing the Earth's rotational speed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Tsunami - Changing the Earth's rotational speed Reply with quote

Following on from the worlds worst Tsunami's with a death toll figure furiously approaching 80,000, US based scientists from the Geological Survey (USGS) have said "the quake that set off the wall of water had moved tectonic plates beneath the Indian Ocean by up to 30 meters (100 feet), causing the Earth to wobble on its axis and permanently shortening the day by a fraction of a second. " which is a quote from Reuters. Science.orf.at in a Google Translation also says "The heavy earthquake before the coast of Sumatra has substantial geological effects. Thus the tectonic plates under the Indian ocean did not only shift experts according to around approximately 30 meters. Also the earth rotation could accelerate itself around three microseconds per day". This could adversley affect the Earth, satellites and GPS over a long period of time.
Bodo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also the earth rotation could accelerate itself around three microseconds per day". This could adversely affect the Earth, satellites and GPS over a long period of time.

I have made a fast calculation on how this would affect us...
If the earth's circumference is about 24,900 miles, then the earth rotation will be about 1 yard out every 2 years....
Twisted Evil I trust that they will be able to reprogram the satellites appropriately before this places me in my neighbour's driveway!
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody with enough money to afford Sat Nav systems can definitely spare a bit of money to donate to the Tsunami Earthquake Appeal - please give generously!

Nick...
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'll be blaming global warming next.

The US said there was weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. The basis for war.

They also said an Asteroid was going to hit the earth,

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/asteroid_update_B_041227.html

I wouldn't believe all they say.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever thought of being a politician ?
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Ever thought of being a politician ?

No way, they talk more rubbish than the US experts.
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Tsunami - Changing the Earth's rotational speed Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
This could adversley affect the Earth, satellites and GPS over a long period of time.

Dave,

Whilst I appreciate the site and all the hard work put into it (thanks) I feel that this is a mere inconvenience as opposed to 125,000 deaths...............

I fully support the aid effort and have given as much as I can and shall be for as long as I can. Anyone thinking of donating should do so through one of the recognised charities and use gift aid as it increases each £1 given to £1.28 (for taxpayers).

I also have TT Mobile and enjoy that but I am unconcerned with any potential problems whilst looking at the plethora of dead bodies.

Don't take that as offensive Dave it isn't meant to be merely putting (readjusting) things into perspective.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that the GPS system will be adjusted if the giant tsunami has affected the earth's rotation.

I'm sure Dave was just mentioning the GPS aspect of this event in the news item. As you say, this is a major disaster that will affect so many people worldwide. It's all the more chilling for me as a few weeks ago my brother and his wife had their honeymoon in a beach bungalow in the Maldives - being the honeymooners, theirs was the furthest out to sea.

If they'd married at Christmas, we could be amongst the many families wondering if their loved ones were alive or dead.

I would endorse the recommendation to support the Disasters Emergency Committee appeal - or via a charity in your country if you're not in the UK.

My thoughts are with all those affected by this in any way.

David
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Tsunami - Changing the Earth's rotational speed Reply with quote

mcwarre wrote:
Whilst I appreciate the site and all the hard work put into it (thanks) I feel that this is a mere inconvenience as opposed to 125,000 deaths...............

I fully support the aid effort and have given as much as I can and shall be for as long as I can. Anyone thinking of donating should do so through one of the recognised charities and use gift aid as it increases each £1 given to £1.28 (for taxpayers).

I also have TT Mobile and enjoy that but I am unconcerned with any potential problems whilst looking at the plethora of dead bodies.

mcwarre, we usually avoid posting about world events or disasters mainly because people have voted with their feet in the past and said they'd rather get this sort of information from the regular news channels and don't want to read about it when they're visiting a GPS site, so we avoid posting about these, but after a long discussion between Lutz and myself, seeing the GPS element that was being reported, we decided to post about GPS element.

I would urge people that haven't donated to donate to one of the many charities that are accepting donations for this cause including organisations like the Red Cross, Unicef, Medecins Sans Frontieres.

mcwarre wrote:
Don't take that as offensive Dave it isn't meant to be merely putting (readjusting) things into perspective.

No offense taken.
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Thank you very much for your kind reply! Smile Smile
chrisbpreston
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: This discussion Reply with quote

I've just read this and have to comment.

All points are fair here from both parties. The thing is if Dave had gone on to a Tsunami site taking about GPS then fair enough, there would be cause to complain but this is a GPS site bringing GPS issues to light.

He was only pointing out a knock-on effect from the geological effects of a natural disaster.
bogle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of gravity variations, solar wind etc, the positions of GPS satellites cannot be predicted accurately for more than a few hours. So the orbits are continuously tracked and the satellites' broadcast messages are updated regularly. The change is just another variable. I do not see how it will have any effect on the accuracy of GPS.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: