Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Wifi sd card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Wifi sd card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taylor27
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Wifi sd card Reply with quote

anyone tried a scandisk 256+wifi on a navman pin300, does this card work fine with it?
crankyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the Medion PPC150 which is a clone of the Mitac Mio 168. The Navman Pin300 is also a clone of the Mitac, Santa brought me a Sandisk 256mb + WiFi card and it works just fine.
I've had to lower my encryption from WPA to WEP as I can't type enough hex keys in the box to enable WPA!
Something I haven't managed to do yet is synchronise over my network, the little timer does a few laps and then goes to not connected.
However I can surf the net OK and send and receive emails
:D

Jon.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Support for WPA and WPA-PSK didn't appear until Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition - it's not built in to Pocket PC 2003.

Some Wi-Fi card drivers include WPA and WPA-PSK support that works on Pocket PC 2003, but most don't.

ActiveSync over Wi-Fi only works if you've got the Pocket PC's wireless network set up as "Work" rather than "The Internet", and it's not always the easiest thing to get working in the first place even if you know that.

David
crankyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello David,

Thanks for explaining about WPA, you've probably saved me hours of "tinkering" trying to get it to work! The native Sandisk driver obviously offers support for WPA but the field to enter the PSK into isn't long enough, which must be where Windows comes in to play, because that isn't even offered as an option in the OS settings.

The whole networking thing in Pocket PC 2003 seems very flaky, I did realise that the network adapter had to connect to work for ActiveSync to "work", only it doesn't, well not for me anyway, I've tried just about every other permutation I can think of with no joy either. I'll just have to work off my Christmas turkey by walking to the cradle 8O
The Pocket PC (Medion 150) isn't visible to the other machines on the network or vise-versa..... but we can all ping each other Laughing

Anyway, I don't think I should be talking to you, you're gonna cost me money!! I read in one of your other posts about the firmware version on your phone (6310i) so I thought I'd check mine, like you do when you read stuff, and found it's 4.07. So I'm gonna have to get it upgraded now. Wink

Jon.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.07 is pretty ancient! You will find things work a lot better with at least 5.50 - but make sure you get your phone upgraded to 5.60, as that has some Bluetooth security fixes in it. I'm going to get my 6310i upgraded at the first opportunity.

I suggest you pay a proper Club Nokia Service Centre to carry out the upgrade - my nearest one quoted me £15 to drop off my 6310i and pick it up again two hours later with 5.60 firmware installed. Third party upgrade attempts can break the Bluetooth functionality on the phone.

David
crankyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that David,
I'll give my local Nokia centre a look and see what they can do.

Jon.
crankyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys found this really useful article for anyone strugling with networking their PPC.

.http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/ActiveSync/WM2003ActiveSyncConfiguration.html

I have now managed to get Activesync to work over WiFi and also access files over the Lan.
Curiously one of the steps indicates to untick the "Use mobile schedule to sync with this PC" box which is what seemed to get my system working

Jon

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: