Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Road Angel 2 - GPS Cable
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Road Angel 2 - GPS Cable
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shavermcspud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: road angel 2 gps out Reply with quote

well its been two weeks and several phone calls to blackspot about this pinout for the nmea data, they assure me it does have data out with a mini din seiral type interface it even says so in the user guide, and promise to send me the pinout several times. (yeh right) starting to get a little miffed with them now. any updates anyone?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just give Holux a call, they have the cables ready for you to purchase!
HOLUX UK Tech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just to clarify: The Road Angel Classic USB and New Road Angel both have a mini DIN (or PS/2) style connector on the back which DOES output NMEA data. The original Classic Road Angel uses a DB9 style connector which also outputs NMEA data.

This data is at RS232 levels and should therefore not be connected to any device that is TTL as damage will result (if you don't know what this means then stop messing about NOW).

We have a selection of ready made cables for all Road Angels and a variety of PDA's. We also have some for laptops, BUT THE LAPTOP MUST HAVE A SERIAL PORT ON IT OR A USB-TO-SERIAL CONVERTER in order for this cable to work.

If you would like to order a cable please call our Sales Hotline on 0870 321 6929. The cost of the cable is £29.99 inc VAT and includes a power adapter to run both the Road Angel and keep the battery topped up on your PDA (not applicable to laptops). YOU MUST NOT CHOP OFF THE CIGARETTE ADAPTER.

We hope that this has been of help to you and we look forward to being of service to you again in the future.

Best regards,

The HOLUX UK Technical Support Team
Tel: 0870 321 5929 x52
e-mail: tech@holux-uk.com
web: www.holux-uk.com

Holux Navigation Aids "......Get there."
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and we now have the review up of the Classic Road Angel Cable. :D
markjj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All. New member and first post.

Have just ordered a "tailor made" cable linking my New Road Angel to my 5550. Spoke with Heather who was most helpful and gave me all the advice I needed to check the wiring lengths, arrangements etc. Cost was very reasonable and I'd have no hesitation in using PC Mobile again from first impressions.

Now I can look forward to a clutter free dashboard!

Thanks to everyone who posted on this subject enabling me to come up with a solution.
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have got the wires crossed.

We do not have New Road Angel Cable and we do not have Heather on our staff list.

May be it was Holux you ordered the cable from?
markjj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was indeed...my apologies for the mistake.

See what happens when you let any old person loose on a message board!
slink
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Back to the question...the pinout? Reply with quote

Thanks to holux for the cable and the info, but the original question was does anyone have the pinout for the connector on the back of the New Road Angel?

Like several others, I have contacted Blackspot, who tell me they hope to make a cable available, but as the wire and the connectors all come to well under a fiver, buying a cable at 30 quid is not an option.

So, can anyone either tell me the pin numbers, or do a simple bit of checking on their cable, and tell me what pins 2, 3 and 5 from the 9 pin D connector connect to on the Road Angel plug?

Thanks, Steve.
slink
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: New Road Angel PS/2 data port pinout Reply with quote

An afternoon with 'scope and old mouse extension lead provided the following. If you choose to use it, then the risk is yours - your Road Angel and/or PC and/or PDA may be at risk 8O

As you look at the back of the Road Angel, the circular socket has 6 round holes, and 1 rectangular hole at the bottom. I have numbered the round holes 1 to 6 clockwise from the rectangular hole (eg bottom left = 1, around to bottom right = 6).

Pin 1 is the NMEA ground.
Pin 3 is the NMEA data out.

Other pins may or may not be used, I didn't need them, so didn't go into what they may or may not do, or whether they have any form of signal or voltage present Exclamation

Data spec is 4800 baud, 8-N-1.

I used a defunct Microsoft PS2 mouse to supply my cable once I had ascertained the pins, and for me this provided blue as the ground wire, and yellow as the data wire :D

Hope that helps!
Steve.
mark4fs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: ps2 to tom tom car kit rj11 Reply with quote

hi all first post after i have spent 2 weeks searching the net and 10+ calls to blackspot to obtain pinouts for ps2 connector with out luck
i have finally found them here thank god
i now need the pinout for my tom tom car kit the rj11 plug have contacted holux but none in stock so as i started of wanting to make my own if anyone can give me the pinout for rj11 i can make it now
thanks
mark
didn't want to just go the trial and error route

even after looking at this
mark4fs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: ps2 out Reply with quote

you think they would have kept the industry standard pinout for the ps2 plug on the road angel ???

then looking at it again it seems to use the 2 reserved pins

mark
mark4fs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my mistake looking at it the wrong way round
mark

and when i have tried the above clockwise pin 1 and 3 it blue my fuse on road angel so it i'll have to wait till they come in stock and buy a lead

mark
slink
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

I just checked my RA lead, and I am definitely using the bottom left pin as you look at the back of the RA, and the next but one, in a clockwise direction, or as I described in the message, pins 1 and 3. However, I do not use it with a TomTom, I use mine with an iPAQ, which has its own type of lead - I got the pinout from this but taking apart my serial sync lead, and finding out which pins were the serial ones.

Have you tried the lead without the TomTom connected? If the fuse still blows with nothing on the end of the cable, there must be a fault in one end or other of the cable - probably 2 wires touching in one of the plugs. If it's OK in that scenario, but only blows when you plug the TomTom in, it may be a fault in the pin out for the RJ11 at the TomTom end. You can absolutely confirm the RA wiring by connecting those pins to another device (eg a PC) and running either another GPS software and checking for function, or just by running Hyperterminal (supplied in Windows) and making sure you're getting NMEA sentances at the correct com port.

Steve
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tom Tom pin out (for the cradle) is in some posts on this site if you search. You can also search the pin out for Seidio G2500 as it is Tom Tom pin compatible.
cyberpunx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: help needed with road angel 2 and gps? Reply with quote

hi all new user as well
hope you may be able to help me out now you seem to sort most of the gents here out bear with me old and unstable (ha).
right i there what can i plug my road angel into to give me mapping or can i use my gps12 (garmin) and connect that to it?
would i be better connecting it to one of these pda's?
help thanks any idea's on a sat nav system would make an old man very happy.
ive got to ask my family what i want for xmas so what is suggested either a pda what type or maybe a tommy tommy.
what's good and what's rip off?
do i stick with road angel 2 or move to navigator?
help
?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: