Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Street names are important
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Street names are important

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beardy1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Street names are important Reply with quote

Hi,

Why is it that you don't mention whether software includes street names when in Navigation mode?

I'm thinking of TomTom3's approach as opposed to NavMan's; TomTom only flags the name of the road you're going to join (and that's not shown on the map), IMHO this is way inferior to SmartST which shows you the name of every street as you progress on your journey. The latter is so useful and reassuring when you depart from the guidance and/or when you're approaching your 'target'.

I find this feature really useful and I'm sure that others must too. I realise that TomTom does show this detail in Map mode, but it's then showing your progress in a view that's not helpful navigation-wise; the clarity isn't as good as SmartST either, because TomTom's text lies at angles dictated by the road alignment. You do comment on NavMan's street names being easy to read, but you don't remark as a matter of course on how other software compares.

Please include a comment on this issue in future reviews.

Sorry to moan because yours is a FANTASTIC site; keep up the good work!

Regards
Pete
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compared to Voice Navigation and automatic rerouting it's just not important enough of a feature. Most of the programs anyhow show the next intersection on the screen (CoPilot, Mapopolis).

Having street names on the 3D map (especially in the Navman implementation) quickly makes the map unreadable, especially in cities. Some form of data reduction needs to happen to focus on the essential.

I understand that it is good to have that for cruising, but then again those programs were designed for navigation, not for cruising.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: