Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: Holux CR-100
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: Holux CR-100
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't see much difference. Apart from SiRF may update the signal more than once a second. Most apps are only 100% compliant with NMEA and only 10% to 70% compliant with SiRF protocol. So you will find that you may experience problems using SiRF with some apps.

TomTom is a classic example if you are travelling west of Meridian than sometimes the pointer can point in the wrong direction and sometimes you can find yourself hurtled across the atlantic into some deep sea.

NMEA is best suited for most PDA Street Routing apps at either 4800 (manufacturer preferred) or 9600.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch - sounds painful! I think I'll stay with NMEA. Thanks for your help (and for the review on the CR100 - it was just what I wanted)
Robin
JonP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GroovyDaz - I bought one of these the other day (before Istvan's comment was posted) for my X30i. I'd like to confirm that it works perfectly with the X30 :D, I'd recommend buying one - a much tidier solution than a separate receiver.
TheGecko
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Ipaq 5500 ? Reply with quote

Can anyone from Holux comment on wether you'll be producing a connector for the Ipaq 5500 series ? Also, I'd be interested in wether the unit could be vent mounted, my ideal solution would be a Brodit Proclip solution that mates to the back of the Holux unit, but I can't tell from the photo's wether the 2 are compatible.

Smile
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5500 ? Isn't that the same connector as the 2200 and 38/3900 ? If so, then it will work.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every iPAQ Pocket PC apart from the 3100, 3600 and 3700 series uses the 22 pin connector to the same wiring.

There are some iPAQs that lack a serial port in the connector - I think that's only some 1900 series models - which is signified by the connector being turned through 180 degrees as you look at the bottom of the machine.

If you want to double check, if HP are listing the folding keyboard (FA118A) as an accessory, the machine should have a standard 22 pin port and a working serial port.

The 5550 definitely uses the same wiring as the 3800 and 3900 series and definitely has a serial port.

David
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep and none of the 1900's have a serial port. HP helped create GPS support on the 1940/1945 by introducing Bluetooth to it.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another of TheGecko's comments was on ProClip compatibility. A ProClip has a face that's designed to be drilled to mount onto it whatever you choose.

As I haven't seen one of these Holux mounts, I don't know whether they would fit well onto a ProClip - but the use of ProClips is certainly not limited to Brodit mounts.

David
TheGecko
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys - however, after placing an order with Holux online I've been informed that the CR100 isn't compatible with the Ipaq 5500, so I'll be keeping an eye out for an alternative solution.

Smile
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd push them on that - it may be someone reading from a script that only includes models they've tested specifically, or it could be someone confused because you said 5500 (which doesn't describe a specific iPAQ model) rather than 5550 (which does).

I'd be very surprised if the Holux works with the 3800 and 3900 series, but not the 5550. All these are the same form factor, all have a serial port and all have the 22 pin charge/sync/serial port wired in exactly the same way.

David
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me check with Holux and I'll get back to you.
istvan24
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonP wrote:
GroovyDaz - I bought one of these the other day (before Istvan's comment was posted) for my X30i. I'd like to confirm that it works perfectly with the X30 :D, I'd recommend buying one - a much tidier solution than a separate receiver.

Embarassed

???!!! Sorry for the confusion all but I am only repeating what Holux UK told me themselves by email/telephone! No disrespect to you JonP but can we get some official confirmation on this from Holux - I'm disappointed as I would have liked to have had my unit by now... Confused

I also contacted Holux.tw last week but still have not had any reply...
HOLUX UK Tech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

To clarify the situation regarding iPAQ PDA's:

- Yes they do all have the same connector and pinouts.
- No the 1900 series don't have a serial port.
- No the 5500 series WON'T fit the CR-100 as it currently stands.

The latter point is due to the connector on the 5500 being in a physically different location from the 2200 series, which means that they don't line up when inserted into the cradle. We are looking into rectifying this situation by making another interchangeable adapter for the CR-100 and will post an announcement on our own website and Pocket GPS World.

We hope that this has been of help to you and we look forward to being of service to you again in the future.

Best regards,

The HOLUX UK Technical Support Team.

Tel: 0870 321 5929 x 52
e-mail: tech@holux-uk.com
web: www.holux-uk.com

HOLUX navigation aids ".....Get there."
tangseven
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot's of Great advice and questions, but I have one that no one has addressed yet for some reason.

I have an XDAII and obviously it is a phone as well. Does this device act as a hands-free system as well or how does that work? If not, how would you use the phone if it rings when mounted in the cradle?

If it does, then you can sell me one right now, if not, I must admit, that would be a real shame.

Thanks!

J
TheGecko
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to the Holux team for getting back, re: the 5550. If you need anyone to test it works OK, let me know ;) I look forward to trying it out when available.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: