Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: HP iPAQ 6315
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: HP iPAQ 6315

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: HP iPAQ 6315 Reply with quote

As some of you may have gathered by now Lutz since a few weeks is a proud and insanely grinning owner of an iPAQ 6315. There are many variations on the market (6310, 6340 etc) but the main difference is the presence or absence of the VGA camera – which is a joke anyhow and not relevant for navigation.

Previously Lutz was using a combination of iPAQ 3630 (later 3970) and the Compaq GSM/GPRS jacket as my one and only mobile phone.

So from the moment Lutz had the 6315 in his hands for the first time for a brief test he was facing a very tough decision. Go with this device, and benefit from re-usability of most of my iPAQ accessories, or wait for the soon-to-come-out XDA IIi (or MDA III or whatever it's name is today – basically the HTC Alpine).

The full review is available here.
Alphamale
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this to be very usefull review. I just got the ipaq6300 as a gift, and I want to get a gps that is most suitable.

Thanks for this informative review, I will await the sideo cradle review.

Alpha
best regards
davidahn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:02 am    Post subject: Com Port Settings Reply with quote

Hey, guys, I got a CoPilot a few months ago but had trouble getting the BT to work reliably with my 1945. The BT connection would be made but it would disconnect randomly.

I noticed you had your com ports as 4 and 7, and mine shows 8 in, 5 out, and it won't let me change it. Any help would be appreciated.

David
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 Out is indeed unusual. Do you by any chance have TomTom GPS installed?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
davidahn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Serial Problem Reply with quote

No, I don't have TomTom installed; in fact, I gave up on this setup months ago and since let the battery die, so I essentially have NO software installed. I'm going to see if I can download updated software to see if it works any better.

David
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you install the latest ROM update for your Pocket PC.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Fatty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the report but must urge you to wait for the new XDA IIs / MDA III. I have been trialing the orange verison of the XDA II, the SPV M1000 and it is superb. The phone works nicely and is easily controlled when driving, TOM TOM Navogator 3 runs smoothly in the background albeit no instructions are given when in the middel of a call. GPRS means that I can send and recieve e mails throughout the day which eliminates 2 hours work on an evening. The touch screen keyboard is fiddly but once mastered is OK. The new XDA IIs has a pull down keyboard which should improve things. I am reluctant to return this loan unit although I will have to as the company is moving to o2 who have promised us the XDA IIs with fully fitted car kits. This means I will have to invest in a bluetooth GPS receiver to run TOM TOM as the docking port will be used by the car kit. Any recomendations for a bluetoth GPS receiver anyone??
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the battery runtime on those? One of the biggest points of the 6315 is the amazing battery life

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Fatty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must admit that is the main problem especially if the phone is used for a lot of telephone calls, as you would expect it to be. I am generally using the phone for calls for about 2 hours a day and the battery then only lasts about 6 hours in total. Therefore I use the Holux CR100 combined charger/cradle/ GPS in the car. Works a treat.
Alphamale
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battery life of the 6300 amazes me. Sometimes It goes so long that I forget to charge it. The video streaming is comparable, or even better than the imate which has a 400mhz speed. The only thing that could have been better is the screen resolution, but I prefer the battery life if I have to choose
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up I shelled out for the extended battery, even though it was above my budget (got cited by the finance police) . Incroyable !!! Four days of regular usage, or 16 hours of video streaming with full backlight...

As you say, there is some danger that you forget to charge the 6300. All I do us pop it onto a USB cable every other while for synchronization, and it automagiclly charges . What a difference from the days when I was anxiously watching the power meter on the 3970 turn from green to red.

If you really want to find something negative - a battery change forces a soft reset. So you can't easily continue what you're doing when you need to change the battery (of course thinking of outdoorsy navigation here)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: