Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - View posts since last visit - doesn't work any more
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

View posts since last visit - doesn't work any more
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have intermittent problems with the "posts since last visit" or getting logged out for some time now but in the last day or so I NEVER get any new posts appearing. I'll try changing to the .com domain from the co.uk one.

1) Which browser: Firefox
2) Which version Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041110 Firefox/1.0
3) Which URL? www.pocketgpsworld.com
4) what links are you clicking on ? Forums -> View Posts Since Last Visit
5) do you see the word LOG IN ? Nope, I was still logged in.
6) different web browser ? Same problem
7) blockers, anti-spam ? Googlebar and popup blocker in IE, standard Firefox installation.
8 ) disable or exit the anti spam tools or allow popups ? Didn't try this.
9) forced to LOG IN every time you come back? Maybe 1 day out of 10 this will happen. I don't know why. This happened with IE and Firefox
10)Which ISP are you using? Freeserve. Same problem at work.
11)LAN SETTINGS, untick every tick box? Freeserve uses transparent proxies, at work I can't get 'net access except through the proxy.
12)Which OS ? WinXP SP2
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone also not getting mail notifications of active/watched threads?

J
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Which browser - Mozilla
2) Which version - 1.7.3
3) Which URL - www.pocketgpsworld.com
4) Once at PocketGPSWorld.com what links are you clicking on before clicking the view last posts ? Nothing - Forums, View last posts
5) Goto the main forum view (top right) do you see the word LOG IN ? No, I'm already logged in
6) What happens when you try using a different web browser ? Not tried
7) Which popup blockers, anti-spam tools are you running ? ZoneAlarm, AdWatch and Google Toolbar
8 ) Have you tried to disable or exit the anti spam tools or allow popups ? Most are disabled as required for each website
9) Are you forced to LOG IN every time you come back to the site ? No
10)Which ISP are you using, and does it work okay if you try another ISP (e.g. at work or home) ? Corporate direct connection to the Internet, not tried another ISP.
11)If using IE, goto TOOLS | INTERNET OPTIONS | CONNECTIONS | LAN SETTINGS, untick every tick box, close IE and re-open, then try to come to the forum, does it work now ? Don't use IE
12)Which OS version are you running and at what Service Pack level ? W2K, SP4

I've only completed this to add some new information to the problem. I had the problem of no new posts yesterday morning, but throughout the day I was given all new posts as they were added, however, again this morning I have been told there were no new posts (despite the forum saying I last visited yesterday around 5pm, and the time now is 9am).

I think the common issues here are either Mozilla / Firefox or using the www.pocketgpsworld.com URL to enter the site.

Obviously I can't confirm whether changing to www.pocketgpsworld.com fixes the problem until tomorrow morning Smile
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are seeing the problem across multiple web browsers, or are getting logged out every now and again there are two reasons:-

1) you are running a cookie blocker, you may not know you are running one, it maybe in your browser or security software like Zone Alarm under Privacy Controls

2) If you aren't running a cookie blocker then it's because you are using say pocketgpsworld.com but at some point you have clicked a link in another forum message that someone has posted to pocketgpsworld.com (or vice versa). This will have the same desired effect. It's always been there. When we post news articles and links ourselve we don't post the domain name, only virtual paths, but other users do when quoting links to other messages do quote the domain names and if you inadvertently click one of these, this can create cookie corruption.
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just accessed pocketgpsworld.com using Firefox 1.0 from work and "view posts since last login" now works. Thumbs Up

Will try that domian at home this evening.
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logged on to pocketgpsworld.com using Firefox 1.0, signed in, selected "view posts since last login" and everything is back to normal.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talkingbollox wrote:
Logged on to pocketgpsworld.com using Firefox 1.0, signed in, selected "view posts since last login" and everything is back to normal.
Indeed, using pocketgpsworld.com worked for me too this morning, whereas pocketgpsworld.com has failed for the last two mornings, using exactly the same setup and browser.

Is it worth www.pocketgpsworld.com being set to redirect to pocketgpsworld.com instead of trying to make the site work with both domains?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, because Google will then wipe our standings in their cache which will mean all the Google site rankings we have worked hard and long for, and how people find us in the search engines will then be lost.

As I said earlier, using pocketgpsworld.com has always done this, it's done it since we migrated to the new forum software over 18 months ago, I'm surprised people are only just seeing it now as it has always affected my login, and I've always since been using PocketGPSWorld.com.
clivers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave
the problem is with .co.uk and .com for me
also when i search the forum i search for 1 day and the subject with a *

if this returns 2 pages, the second page is always met with no results.

i use ie and firefox from home and work
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
As I said earlier, using pocketgpsworld.com has always done this, it's done it since we migrated to the new forum software over 18 months ago, I'm surprised people are only just seeing it now as it has always affected my login, and I've always since been using PocketGPSWorld.com.
It affected me for a week or 2 after that migration but then sorted itself out. I thought that you had fixed something, but I guess it might have been some sort of caching effect. I always used www.pocketgpsworld.com until the problem last week, and have now switched to www.pocketgpsworld.com.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clivers wrote:
dave
the problem is with .co.uk and .com for me
also when i search the forum i search for 1 day and the subject with a *

if this returns 2 pages, the second page is always met with no results.

i use ie and firefox from home and work

Clive, the * seems to have been disabled in the latest release of the code although there's no mention of it. The reason why you're getting the 1st page back is because you or your ISP is caching the previous code behind the previous page.

* will work if you put something before it, but * on it's own seems to have been disabled.

kartracer wrote:
It affected me for a week or 2 after that migration but then sorted itself out. I thought that you had fixed something, but I guess it might have been some sort of caching effect. I always used www.pocketgpsworld.com until the problem last week, and have now switched to www.pocketgpsworld.com.

Most of the problems appear to be down to people using proxy caches in IE to their ISP or their companies using a proxy server, or the ISP using an intermediate proxy. The way proxy's should work is the PC requests the page from the proxy, the proxy quickly gets a HTTP error back from the site/page to see if the page has changed since it last visited. If it hasn't it serves the page from the local Proxy cache, and if it has, it downloads the new file to it's Proxy cache and then serves this back to the end user. Unfortunately a lot of Proxy servers aren't configured correctly by 'so called' IT professionals. They're configured to 'conserve bandwidth' which means they don't operate properly as a Proxy server, they're just a 'Save Bandwidth' Server that eventually will update it's local cache at some point.
clivers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does it from my PIPEX DSL account and my AOL dialup at a different location on a different machine...
im mystified by this one.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:

Clive, the * seems to have been disabled in the latest release of the code although there's no mention of it. The reason why you're getting the 1st page back is because you or your ISP is caching the previous code behind the previous page.

* will work if you put something before it, but * on it's own seems to have been disabled.

Dave,
The * on it's own is definitely still working. I've just selected all the posts for last 7 days (cos "view posts since last login" has stopped working) and been able to page backwards and forwards through them.

I always used www.pocketgpsworld.com until the recent problem, and have now switched to www.pocketgpsworld.com. I logged out closed IE and then opened a new IE window and went to .com. I'm about to try "view posts since last login" again and will post back if I have further problems. (I repeat that the only thing that I have changed, BEFORE or AFTER the problem started, is to use the .com address!)
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGF, you haven't read the earlier posts. VIEW POSTS SINCE LAST LOGIN is working. If it isn't working it's because you are using a web cache or your ISP is forcing you to use one.

If * is working for you, then it's because you're picking up the cache of the old code page.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGF wrote:
I always used www.pocketgpsworld.com until the recent problem, and have now switched to www.pocketgpsworld.com.

I had endless problems while I was using the .co.uk address, ever since I switched to the .com address it works 100%. :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: