Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Postcodes Scotland (Aberdeen area)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Postcodes Scotland (Aberdeen area)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charlesn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Postcodes Scotland (Aberdeen area) Reply with quote

Am I right in thinking that large chunks of the Aberdeen area (including most of the City of Aberdeen) are missing from the Postcodes Scotland file?
For example, there seems to be nothing lower than AB22 8AA, and there's a gap between AB23 8ZY and AB30 1AA.
The AB39 group (Stonehaven) is also missing.

Has anyone else the same experience - and if so, what is the solution?
timmyo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked in the file and you're right. If you/anyone else has the time and the wherewithall to look up the relevant data (using something like streetmap.co.uk) and let me have it I'll add it to the Scotland file and republish it on my page. Short of that the only thing you can do is look up any particular or regularly used postcodes and add them directly via TTG as GPS locations within the relevant POI

Tim
charlesn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Tim

I'll see if I can get around to supplying the missing data.
You've made a good tool - it would be a pity not to complete it with missing postcodes like these.

C
timmyo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - keeping them updated would be best (see my comments toward the end of this thread http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=70639#70639 )

It's getting the submissions that's obviously the hard part !
Tim
charlesn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been looking at streetmap.co.uk.
I entered "Union Street" and selected Aberdeen whereupon it produced a map of central Aberdeen. I can click (and arrow-mark) any point but I can't see any information I could use in your file.

What info can I get (do you need) from streetmap.co.uk - and equally important, how do I get it from the streetmap.co.uk website?

Charles
timmyo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlesn wrote:
I've just been looking at streetmap.co.uk.
I entered "Union Street" and selected Aberdeen whereupon it produced a map of central Aberdeen. I can click (and arrow-mark) any point but I can't see any information I could use in your file.

What info can I get (do you need) from streetmap.co.uk - and equally important, how do I get it from the streetmap.co.uk website?

Charles

OK on the streetmap.co.uk page you can search by street, town, postcode etc. If you are intending to make a postcode entry use that to search for - don't refine it down to the point *you* want if you are making a generic postcode entry for the files (ignore this if you just want an entry for your own TTG obviously). Once you have searched and found the spot on the map you want the coordinates for look below the map for the (tiny) text:

Quote:
This product includes mapping data licensed from Ordnance Survey

Use http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=393707&Y=806014&A=Y&Z=1 to link to this map.
Location is at 393707E 806014N (N57:08:42 W2:06:20) Click here to convert/measure coordinates

which is just below the Ask Jeeves search box. click on the here to go to see the point expressed in various coords. The ones you want are these (I used a random Aberdeen area - yours may well be different):

Quote:
Lat (WGS84) N57:08:42 ( 57.144973 )
Long (WGS84) W2:06:20 ( -2.105629 )

So the Lat Long info here is 57.144973 -2.105629

Those 2 figures could go either in to your TTG (yourself) as a GPS location, or into my Scotland file for distribution.
Hope that helps.
charlesn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

Thanks for the instructions. I shall set up an Excel file with Longs in first column, Lats in second column, postcode in third column. Your postcodes seem to be enclosed in quotes - is that a requirement, and should the Longs and Lats be enclosed in quotes because in the Excel file they will also be classified as text in order to preserve any leading zeros?

Would this be the best approach both for me and for the updating process in your file?

I can't promise anything but a slow, gradual collection because I have my day-to-day work to look after, too ... as I'm sure you yourself do.

I'll base the collection on an alphabetical street map of Aberdeen and take it from the top in that order.

Another question: I originally looked into your file to see why some Aberdeen postcodes were missing but in so doing I realised just how big the Scotland file is. Is it bigger, smaller or same as the other UK regional files? If it is bigger, I was thinking for my own use of splitting it in two (North and South), if that would produce a significant difference in search speed. What do you think?

Charles
charlesn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On second (third!) thoughts, rather than work with an alphabetical street list, it would presumably be most efficient to work directly with an (alpha-numerical) list of postcodes. Are there such things? Where do I find it? For example, a list of postcodes from AB11 3BC upwards? (I just made up AB11 3BC)

C
timmyo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the files on my laptop so will check them in the morning - I seem to recall that the Scotland file is nowhere near the biggest. Making it smaller will certainly make it search quicker, although I wouldn't have a clue which codes were north and which were south Embarassed

The formatting in my files is the 'required' format - so if there are quotes there then they are required (a while since I looked). To be honest the simplest format to compile any additions / rewrites in would be plain text / csv or something like that. Anyway the exact format is but a trifle, getting the data together is the important bit, so whatever works Wink

As for a full postcode list, I'm not sure. I'll trawl the Post Office site when I get a chance and see if they are available.

I think that some businesses buy whole CDs with them on - so if you know anyone . . . <ahem> Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: