Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Traffic Info
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Traffic Info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simonsmith
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Traffic Info Reply with quote

Hello

I've got a Navman 510 but I also want to get traffic info and I hear people talk about ITIS and TMC. Can I get a standalone traffic device?

Also it's a shame that TomTom Go and Navman don't build in traffic information to their devices. I wouldn't even mind being told to ring a number of my mobile because of traffic conditions ahead.

Thanks

Simon
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'all in one box' devices aren't really suited to traffic aware navigation, as that requires connectivity they simply don't have - typically Bluetooth hardware, and both TCP/IP and Bluetooth stacks. Adding such features would bump up the costs in what is now a competitive market.

Probably your best option is to buy something like a Trafficmaster Freeway. Trafficmaster's data is of higher quality than the iTIS data anyway.

David
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
Probably your best option is to buy something like a Trafficmaster Freeway. Trafficmaster's data is of higher quality than the iTIS data anyway.

David

Oops be careful what you say there! I do not work for iTIS but if I did I wouldn't be happy...Especially when you consider that you can't compare the two systems as they work on totally different principles...And thus the use of the data provides a different user experience...
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dejongj wrote:
Oops be careful what you say there! I do not work for iTIS but if I did I wouldn't be happy...Especially when you consider that you can't compare the two systems as they work on totally different principles...And thus the use of the data provides a different user experience...
However, it is a valid option - if someone has bought a Navman / TT Go which does not and will not support traffic then a standalone traffic information device at least provides the driver with traffic information.

In general Trafficmaster is still said to be more accurate than iTIS as it reflects the real time situation on the road and not time delayed information - although the roadwork information etc. from iTIS must be useful too.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just my experience, dejongj. If you want rapidly updating details of what's on the road ahead, Trafficmaster tends to win every time; their data collection system is faster to respond that that used by iTIS. Trafficmaster's system can monitor any vehicle travelling along the road, whereas iTIS, according to the description on their web site, only take traffic speed information from specially equipped reporting vehicles.

I wonder, in the future, those of us using systems like TomTom Traffic, who have a two way data connection, could allow data on our speed to be sent to the server to help improve the quality of the iTIS data.

That's not to say iTIS's data is worthless - far from it. I've paid for a 12 month subscription to TomTom Traffic - though I also carry a cheap Trafficmaster. If something goes wrong immediately ahead, the Trafficmaster is faster to respond than TomTom Traffic. This is my real life experience - living in the area near M1 junctions 12 and 13; jams can appear very fast around here.

I was a bit sloppy in my previous post in that I didn't qualify the expressed opinion that well. I took the original poster to be most interested in what was happening on the road ahead of him - which is where Trafficmaster excels, but I didn't explain the reasoning for my recommendation in this case that carefully. As you say, the iTIS data provides a more rounded solution.

I hope that's regarded as a more balanced answer; I didn't think such a detailed explanation was necessary, but I'm happy to provide it now. I'll always respond to any criticism made of my posts in a constructive way if I notice that criticism.

Even though I'm a forum mod, I am allowed my own opinions - and I simply haven't the time to spend half an hour providing a 'review grade' answer to every post (though some of my forum posts take an hour or more to write). I do attempt to answer as many questions as I can as accurately as I can - but it's not possible in the forums for me to explore every caveat and qualify every suggestion fully. I hope that's understood without me putting an explicit disclaimer in my signature.

Moderators are appointed by the Pocket GPS World Team. However, I, like the other moderators, are unpaid volunteers and I do not write to express the opinion of Pocket GPS World Ltd.

David
simonsmith
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Hi David W

Thanks for your excellent reply. I went out and bought Trafficmaster Freeway and impressed with this simple device. It's also very cost effective so you made a great suggestion.

Thanks

Simon
DavidH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have NAvigon's MNBE4 with TMC. It works, and may work well outside London, but I've so far not found the Traffic side very useful IN London.
I assune TraficMaster's Freeway is a standalone device? As such, presumably it won't integrate into MNBE.

Does it know where you're going? Is it only for Motorways/A roads (as the name might imply)? If so, it wouldn't help round London I expect.

Any suggestions for me to avoid London's long delays ( but at least I'm getting much better at Italian with my CD's in the car!)?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: