Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - OnCourse Navigator Sweepstakes 1/2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

OnCourse Navigator Sweepstakes 1/2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: OnCourse Navigator Sweepstakes 1/2 Reply with quote

Following our recent review of the OnCourse Navigator software for the North American market we are pleased to offer a copy of the program in a tombola/sweepstake. All you need to do to be eligible is to respond in this thread with a statement what you like or dislike about the program and what you will use it for when you win.

This first part of the sweepstakes will run for exactly 7 days from the moment it is published. Right after closing the thread we will randomly pick a winner from the posters, and will contact you to get your shipping details.

And now - have your say and win a copy of OnCourse Navigator !

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
kpiontek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: OnCourse Navigator Reply with quote

I've been looking for a good navigation program for a while. I have been using Destinator since version 1 up to 3 but I'm not very satisfied with it. No easy rerouting when encountering a blocked road (it should be as easy as tapping the road in front of you and selecting a menu entry like "road block" with an automatic recalculation of the route) or the lack of detailed voice instructions, especially in cities.
From the review Navigator looks very good, although the input option of entering an address seems cumbersome, but one has to try and see how partial names work. The lack of TTS is of concern in dense populated areas and I would like to hear the input of people which have used Navigator in this context, and maybe compared it to CoPilot.
The slow start-up would be comparable to Destinator 3 I think, annoying but no deal-breaker. If it works on my old iPaq 3630 I would be very happy. And I hope the European maps are good, too. Does anybody know whether the European maps offered in the USA are the same as the currently available in Europe? I travel on occasion to Europe (hopefully more often in the future) and having good maps with navigation software would be very useful.
I hope OnCourse Navigator will turn out to be the best all-around navigation program, but one will see.

Klaus
ohm62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: I'd like to try... Reply with quote

All it needs to do to win my adherence is:

. A less stringent EULA than ALK CoPilot - can sell the rights to use the software in case one wants to stop upgrading and switch to another vendor...
. Better priced upgrades than CoPilot. Easy to do... Better yet, a good price on bundled laptop and PDA software, using same GPS unit.
. Definitely a better address input method than CP 3.5 - easy to do as well
. A bit better maps than CoPilot 3.5 - anyways outdated.
. Certainly more intuitive interface than CP 3.5 (to get to the itinerary edition & waypoint addition mode easily from navigation mode, to move the map around, etc...) Way easy to do. Looks like covered, from what I can see in the review...
. Functionality more or less on par with CP 5.0, with the exception of the "Live" part, I don't really care about... Thisngs I deem important are reasonably up-to-date maps, effective routing and detailed routing options, rerouting upon deviations, proper display of road name, restrictions & landmark indications, quality synopsis navigation display and loud and clear voiced directions - including exit numbers on highways!, 3D display, Major POIs (transport stations: bus, train, ferry; gas stations, major hotels & restaurants, viewpoints, parks, historical sites, monuments, museums & theaters, ...)
From the review, it looks like all that is pretty much covered as well...

-- OHM
ohm62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: forgot somethin' Reply with quote

... oh, and support for 3rd party GPS devices.... No locking people in the bundled hardware, please!!!
obarnes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice - I have started travelling to the US more and this is just what I need for my NavMan PiN...

I particularly like the ability to download a 'corridor' of map coverage that cross borders - saves filling the memory card with a few thousand square miles of country that you are not visiting!

Another plus for me is the amount of data you can cram onto the screen - I love all that stuff!!

Good review - Thanks...

Oliver
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Americana.. Just too big without a Nav tool! Reply with quote

I'm in Florida at Christmas and Las Vegas in March. This would save me buying the American maps for TT3 and allow me to make a comparison for my next upgrade scheduled for mid next year.
As A well know Donkey in Shrek said "Pick me ... Pick me"
alanparrott
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is a truly Random sweepstake are you saying that the comments are not relevant?
alevans
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the mapping and user interface.
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ install onto and run from storage card without complaining
+ nice-looking 3D view

- performance
- ancient maps
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanparrott wrote:
If this is a truly Random sweepstake are you saying that the comments are not relevant?

We do value your comments very much, but since you don't own the software yet we can only ask you about your opinion on what you heard elsewhere (for example by reading the review).

So your comments are (very) relevant, but not a requirement to win. The sole criterion to be eligible is to post in this thread. (obviously Pocket GPS World team members and moderators are not eligible)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
jjb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea that it can be installed and run purely from a storage card!
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
(obviously Pocket GPS World team members and moderators are not eligible)

Me Me Me
andygrove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I truly like is the ability to install to the Memory card and then not have to reinstall from CD. I've been caught twice by my ipaq running out of juice on holiday and not having any GPS system.
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Two things... Reply with quote

..One as a sweepstake, how is the draw taking place Question

Secondly, now I've entered two messages on this thread, does this mean I am entered twice Question
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll make a unique list of everybody who has posted here (which answers your second question) - minus the team and moderators, and then run a mathematical randomizer over the remainder. Feel free to propose a seed value (otherwise we'll just take the current time)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: