Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mitac Mio 168 GPS £184 inc VAT
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mitac Mio 168 GPS £184 inc VAT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpssparky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Mitac Mio 168 GPS £184 inc VAT Reply with quote

Here

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=TODAYONLY

-----------
Tomtom Go 540 Live - That's it.
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one - ordered mine as missed out on the Aldi thing.

It comes with a car-kit as well. Just need to add some software now!
fingery
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After getting min bundle from Aldi i was going on about how good it was to a colleague. He missed out and i've pointed him in the direction of Expansys.

He's ordered it today and was going to buy the Navigon software as he has seen it on mine and likes it but i've just been looking on the Navigon site and it says the Navigon Navigator 4 software is not compatible with Mitec Mio (despite i thought the Medion was just this PDA rebadged).

Has anybody got a Mitec Mio and have it working with Navigon???
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't personally guarantee compatibility, but usually compatibility lists are on the conservative side.

For example, almost nobody lists compatibility with the new iPAQ hx4700 yet - despite the fact that most software works perfectly (and most of what doesn't work perfectly has at least a beta version that does available if you ask). The hx4700 is arguably the first mass market Pocket PC 2003SE VGA device - though there has been a Toshiba VGA machine.

In this case, I suspect it's simply that that particular Pocket PC hasn't been tested, so compatibility isn't listed. There's so many devices that it's impossible for the software companies to test them all.

The Mio Expansys have is the machine with the built in GPS. I don't recall there being anything non-standard about the way that GPS works, and the machine is otherwise a fairly standard Pocket PC 2003 machine. Maybe someone else who uses a Mio can be more emphatic than I am.

David
SteveUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these and run it with TomTom 3 - works a dream! My only problem is that I cannot find any way of powering off the GPS function in order to prolong battery life.

In the review on Pocket GPS World there is a screen shot which shows a "GPS Power" setting, presumably within "Mio Utility" but this is not present on my one (just the "System", Smart Battery" and "Wakeup" tabs).

Does anyone know whether I am missing a utility or driver of some sort?

Thanks
UKHABU
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as as I know the GPSr is only powered ON when you startup some software and open the COM PORT.

I have a Navman PIN(MIO 168) and until you load either (in my case) SmartST Pro V2 or Memory Map OS 2004 the GPSr is not on.
If the GPSr is actual on all the time you have the Mio 168 on then as soon as you go it any GPS Software you would have a n instant lock (assuming you had a clear view of the sky).

Try it - leave the Mio 168(or whatever it's re-badged name is!) ON for say 20 mins outside (or with a view of the sky from a window) but have NO Navigation software running.
Load up the navigation software - see if you have an immeadiate GPS sat fix -If you DO then the GPSr was already on - If you DON'T then it's as I expect - the GPSr only gets powered up at software start.

My copy of Mio Utility does not have a GPSr power off setting either.

In both SmartST and MM there is the ability to deselect the GPS COM port ie take the Tick out of the box.
Navman Pin(Mitac Mio 168)
Navman SmartST Pro V2 & V3
Mitac Mio 558
SteveUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification - that seems to make sense. I will give it a try myself.

Cheers.
SteveUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like that's the answer. There is a definite delay between booting up TomTom and getting a fix, even when te Mio has been switched on for ten minutes.

Thanks.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: