Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CoPilot Live and Norton Internet Security - no live comms
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CoPilot Live and Norton Internet Security - no live comms

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rattle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: CoPilot Live and Norton Internet Security - no live comms Reply with quote

Morning folks,

Just wanted to know if anyone has had this problem and if maybe a solution has been found. I'm running XP SP2 with Norton Intenet Security 2004. When I enable live communications on the desktop, CoPilot won't connect, although firewall rules are ok. I've tried disabling everything in the NIS - firewall, ad filters, antivirus, everything, but the connection is still blocked. But as soon as I disable the "security", i.e. NIS totally, CoPilot connects immediately. Enable NIS -> "Not Connected". There seem to be no settings for the "Security" as such except for on/off switch, only for firewalls, but those do not seem to matter.
Anyone experiencing this? I wanted to ask around before posting this to ALK as maybe it's just my lame hands and not a fault of CP/NIS interaction...

Cheers,
Eriks
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are you running CoPilot Laptop 7 ?

TBH I never liked Norton Firewall. AV is good, but Firewall is poor. Personally I'd go with Zone Alarm, but that's my preference. I haven't had any problems with Zone Alarm running on the laptop, and tracing via the web console and that's going through a NAT router. AFAIK it's using standard traffic on Port 80, but I may be wrong here. Providing you have the firewall to allow all outgoing data on ports then there shouldn't be an issue. Most will only accept data inbound if the port has already been opened outbound so you are not opening yourself up to security issues here by doing so.
Rattle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I'm not sure what I'm running Smile It's the desktop complement of CoPilot Live 5, whatever they call it.
Me, I've always liked Norton, never had any problems as everything was highly configurable. Unitl now Evil or Very Mad But this doesn't seem to have anything to do with the firewall as such, as I can disable the firewall and still no change. It seems that NIS does some filtering apart from firewall and ad&content blockers, which I cannot find how to configure. Only when I shut down NIS (red cross on the globe in system tray), does CP get a connection.
From what I've seen in the logs, CP is using port 80 on the remote machine, but is crawling through local ports 1500 and upwards, apparently trying each one in turn. Firewall alllows CP to connect on any port in any direction, but even disabling it or all of the other features together doesn't help. There is something called fragmented packet blocking, maybe that's what's causing it, but I cannot turn it off completely.

Cheers,
Eriks
lavenham14
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Same problem Reply with quote

I can't offer a solution but I suffer the same problem. NIS disabled=live comms. NIS enabled=no go.
If you hear of a fix could you pm me, or post here?
Thanks
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, if you're running CoPilot Live 5 and are trying to use the desktop app to track, then ditch this and goto http://live.alk.eu.com (Europe) or http://live.alk.com (US) and use the web tracking console.

Although tracking is enabled in the desktop app, ALK are going away from this and going more to the web because of such problems. You then don't need any desktop app installed and you can create a tracking number on the web console once you have created a username/password and added your CoPilot license to your account, and you can then give out tracking numbers to friends and family and have them track you from any PC on the web.
Rattle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the only problem with the web console is that ... it's web based Smile Try as much as you like but it's not coming close to desktop (even CoPilot desktop Rolling Eyes ) neither in functionality nor in performance.
Apart from that, web-based is of course better.

In an off-topic key, I wanted to share something good after all the contant bitchin-an-moanin this forum seems to consist of Laughing - so here's a CoPilot success story:

The other day I was out sight-seeing and decided to get back home the fast way - A8 Salzburg-Munich highway. A very messy piece of road, if there happens to be no accident, the three lanes are just clogged with traffic and crawling. So naturally I check up on the verkehrsinfo.de to see if nothing bad is going on before I start driving back. The coast is clear and off I go, three near-empy lanes, no speed limit: what more can you wish for (apart from a faster car) Smile until 10 miles on the way it is over: fresh crash, full stop, no go. A quick check of the wap-traffic page - now they have it, too, thanks a lot. Next step - turn on my PDA that had been sitting blankly in the cradle (driving a motorway doesn't take much navi skills) and asses the situation. Nearest exit - 5 miles, probably way beyond the crash-site. The detour button confirms that - its the jam for us and a promise of a good time with a 4 month old baby in the back seat with his dinner due in about 40 minutes 8O. The map shows nothing, except for a small lay-by just ahead, the stop-and-take-a-leak kind... which upon a closer inspection with zoom reveals a small side-road branching out of it... which seems to join a bigger road up ahead. When you see a chance - take it and down the escape route we go - the exit is so unremarkable I wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't known it was there and been looking closely. For a moment nothing happens - narrow road goes parallel to A8 so CP thinks we're still on the motorway. Then - beep - Bingo! rerouting comes and we're back in business! Takes a while to get to the next exit as the almost one-lane road is a bit congested by the small trickle of navi-aware drivers and locals coming out to see whats the parade through their one-horse towns is all about. At the next exit we've skipped the jam and the three lanes are now completely deserted and welcome a healthy 130mph to barely make it in time Smile

So, once again, the day is saved by CoPilot Live!
(of course, had the pan-european traffic been working, we wouldn't have gotten there in the first place Confused )

Cheers,
Eriks
PhilB
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Just like to say thanks to you guys for this post as I'm suffering the same problem. Turned off NIS and bingo 'Live' works from the PC. I emailed support earlier to see if they have any ideas so will be interested to see if they ever reply - will let you know if I get anything of interest back.

Cheers
Phil

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: