Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 630 SD card above 256Mb - any updates?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

630 SD card above 256Mb - any updates?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: 630 SD card above 256Mb - any updates? Reply with quote

Does anyone have up to date info on whether any particular higher capacity SD cards will work with a iCN 630?

I read some older posts talking about using higher speed cards, but couldn't find anything conclusive, and I don't have any to try... But I do have a two week trip around Germany and France coming up that'd need 600Mb of maps

Thanks in advance!

Gavin
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Navman mentioned the same thing about iPAQs, but I'm happily using a 512Mb SD card in my 5555. See my sig. for details.
AlfieB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

Back in June, I received an e-mail from Navman saying the iCN630 will support the use of a 512Mb SD Card. But Exclamation they did say that there are some very slow / cheap SD cards around, which obviously can impact on the performance of the unit. I then went back to them and asked if they had any recommendations on which card to purchase. Their answer was that they didn't have a compiled list, but in their experience they had found both slow and fast batches within the same brand.

So on that basis I've never personally bothered to try it out. However there are those who have tried it and say it's successful, others have had problems. I suppose at the end of the day as they say " The choice is yours"

Best of luck

Regards

alfieB Thumbs Up

Navman iCN630

Navman N60i

Navman Mio S505

Navman Mio Spirit 695 LM

Mio Spirit 7670 LM Truck
Gav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: SD Card size Reply with quote

Thanks Alfie - I think yours was one of the old posts I got info from. I emailed Navman two weeks ago and haven't had a reply (other than the automatic one!)

I think I'll try a large high-speed card from someone who'll let me exchange it if necessary.... Thanks Tim also.

Gavin
AlfieB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gav

The best way to contact Navman if you need a quick reply is don't e-mail Exclamation phone them Exclamation

Regards

alfieB Thumbs Up

Navman iCN630

Navman N60i

Navman Mio S505

Navman Mio Spirit 695 LM

Mio Spirit 7670 LM Truck
Gav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: 512Mb working ok so far Reply with quote

An update (in case anyone's got the same questions in future):

John Lewis and Jessops both said they'd refund me if I bought a card which didn't work, so I'm currently using a 512Mb Lexar non high speed card from JL (same price as online with Dabs).

All the maps I needed (about 480Mb or so) loaded fine and I used them extensively to save about a billion or so shortcuts (two weeks of gigs and hotels around Germany).

I'm flying tomorrow morning to start at Bonn, so I'll hopefully be back to say there were no problems Confused

Now that I'm living dangerously I might as well try running the software on my Powerbook under Virtual PC - if I'm taking two laptops with me. Hope I don't need to use it though cos I'll be loading new maps every night if I have to fit on the 128Mb card Sad

Thanks for all the advice

Gavin
Gav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: NavMan Replied! Reply with quote

Whoa - there's a coincidence. Just hit submit on the message above and got a reply to my email to Navman 2 weeks ago.

They say:

Dear Gavin,

We recommend hgigh speed 512 MB memory cards form Danelec, Integral or Sandisk.

SmartST Version 3 isn't the solution as maps are bigger.

Kind regards,
Yoann BESNARD

So I'll just wait for my Lexar card to explode Sad

Gavin
AlfieB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gav

I'll be interested to hear how you get on in Germany. I've been trying to convince my brother in law to invest in a Navman iCN 630 / 650. He spends a lot of time in France, Belgium and Germany, but he's a tight assed git. I keep working on him though Exclamation

Regards

alfieB Thumbs Up

Navman iCN630

Navman N60i

Navman Mio S505

Navman Mio Spirit 695 LM

Mio Spirit 7670 LM Truck
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlfieB wrote:
but he's a tight assed git. I keep working on him though

Not something we see admitted to in public very often, Alfie. Twisted Evil

How did your IOW trip go, by the way, and I don't just mean the navigation side of things?
Gav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: 2 weeks around Germany Reply with quote

This trip almost justified the cost of the by itself ;)

The 512Mb card seems to be fine - no problems at all and I used all 316Mb of Germany, Luxembourg and Scotland.

I had several occasions (maybe 3 or 4) where the device would think I'd veered off the autobahn and started driving through the weeds ("Go to nearest road" proved reliably hilarious to my passangers, matched only by "perform a legal U-turn" Smile ) Rebooting usually fixed this, but once it happened as I was going through a 3-way interchange and I ended up on the wrong motorway.

We completely lost the GPS signal for about 20mins twice and had to stop to work out where the hell we were.

BUT overall we saved far more time than these annoying glitches cost us, and the map display in particular was perfectly accurate. The routes SmartST chooses are far better than say Autoroute. The back way it took us from the Hotel to Luxembourg city was what the locals thought they'd have to explain in great detail.

The estimated journey times were also dead-on. On completely open roads (and German speeds!) I'd be say 20mins earlier for a 2.5hr drive, but with normal conditions the estimate was amazing - even for our longest days.

I'm very impressed! The tour was about 3000Km, 12 locations and we saved so much time and headache.

Thanks for everyone's help with this.

Oh, and the German chick's voice wins the sexyness prize ;)

Gavin
E2R
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently purchased a 1Gb SD card from Dabs for less than £50 which I thought was a bargin and found it works great with my 630.

E2R

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: