Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The Mapping Issue
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The Mapping Issue
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pinkpanther
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: The Mapping Issue Reply with quote

This mapping issue is annoying to all "Go" customers who are unfortunate enough to have purchased "Go" with map version 314.
I believe it is in the interest of Tom Tom to come clean. This is s perfect opportunity for the Forum Moderators to save everyone's time and patience, and get an honest answer to the issue, and also an opportunity for Tom Tom to wipe the slate clean, and come out of all of this dreadful mess looking good.
The cost of providing the latest map data, I believe, will be minimal, compared to the bad publicity and loss of goodwill that the company will suffer.
Let's not forget, this is still a great product.
Come on Pocket GPS World, can't you help out with this one?
A copy of this posting, will be posted on the Expansys with their name substituted for Pocket GPS World
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Moderators cannot help you in your quest, I'm afraid. Well, certainly not this moderator anyway. It's possible that the Team might be able to get some information out of Tomtom, but I expect that they will have done that already, and will have given out any information they have been allowed to.

I suspect that the ball is firmly in Tomtom's court, but they probably have TeleAtlas as their Umpire.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Mapping Issue Reply with quote

Pinkpanther wrote:

The cost of providing the latest map data, I believe, will be minimal, compared to the bad publicity and loss of goodwill that the company will suffer.

Not sure TomTom thinks the same. The cost of new map data is easily going into six digit numbers.

Anyhow, please report your map error findings to TeleAtlas. This is the only proven way of improving things in the long run.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Pinkpanther
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Forgive me if I'm missing something here, but the problem is that some batches of units seem to have been shipped with the older map data and some with the later map data, so the map data already exists. If the Map version numbers were displayed on the packaging, then the customer would have the choice of which to buy. As it stands, purchasing is a lottery
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad. I did not read the starting thread properly. You are right, those users who bought a 314 version should be entitled to a free upgrade to 390.

You will however find that v390 is not perfect either. If you find issues in 390, it is best to report them to TeleAtlas.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Pinkpanther
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
lbendlin, I think you are absolutely right. I don't think that v390 will be perfect either. I think all users will fully accept that there is no such thing as a perfect map, as things change daily. I just think that we would like to start from anequal level of "excellence" when we purchase our product.
Best regards,
Pinkpanther
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is absolutely normal for 80% of the current crop of GPS companies to issue map updates in the latest production batch of their products. They do this to fix 'small' issues that crop into map data, whether it's either their fault in not compiling/compressing the data correctly from NAVTEQ or TeleAtlas, or whether it's the geodata provider (NAVTEQ or TeleAtlas) are at fault.

Either way they do this to resolve problems going forward. TomTom have already openly said to us that they do not and cannot provide map updates for everyone because it's written in the license that they hold with TeleAtlas that they would have to 're-pay' the license fee for every copy they decided to upgrade you with free of charge.

Like I said above, it's all down to whether it's TomTom's problem or TeleAtlas's problem, but either way neither will appear to give way and provide free updates to previous customers.

Is it wrong not to be upgraded for free ?
Is it morally wrong not to offer an upgrade ?

Is there a way you can pay to upgrade the maps ? No, due to the administration cost in doing this for a small amount of users.

Whether it should be resolved is open to discussion, however TomTom have already said in the past like many other companies that they cannot/will not do this sort of thing to upgrade users free of charge because it costs them too much in terms of licensing costs.

We have already spoken with TomTom regarding the M6 toll road issues and not having these in TTN and hit a brick wall. Feel free to lobby TomTom by sending them letters and email, but I doubt it will change anything.
tinker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: map probs Reply with quote

only had my ttg a few days very good kit,just a quick one 3 people in are
family have one so when there is a map update do we buy it or down load
it,if we buy it do we all need yo buy one,or can we just use one,or is it free,has there been any map updates,wots the score????
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fired off a request to TomTom regarding the differences in the maps, and am still awaiting a response
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
I have fired off a request to TomTom regarding the differences in the maps, and am still awaiting a response

Haven't we all???
timmyo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: The Mapping Issue Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Not sure TomTom thinks the same. The cost of new map data is easily going into six digit numbers.

Eh? This isn't 'new' map data we are asking them to buy, it's the map data shipping already to some retailers.

I have had a reply to my query and it is the statement that map data will be available to BUY through roughly annual updates in line with policy on other Tom Tom products. What miffs me is I already BOUGHT the device with the less-than-current map data. This smacks of priming an upgrade market.
sonypc100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you find out which mapping version you have?

thanks

rich
dodgydodgy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Mapping Issue Reply with quote

timmyo wrote:
Eh? This isn't 'new' map data we are asking them to buy, it's the map data shipping already to some retailers.

Their problem is I'm sure that they are shipping the new (390) map to *all* retailers - the mix of people getting 314 and 390 is caused by stock already shipped that is sitting on the shelf.

To provide upgrades to each user would cost TT money due to the Teleatlas licensing which is why they have annual updates. They have paid the licence once (for the hsipped product), they can't pay it again without a revenue source.

It's harsh - but your argument is mostly with the retailer, not TT. If you can return it, do so - then buy a unit from a smaller retailer who probably holds less stock and is more likely to have recieved units with the latest updates.
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so lets use Windows XP as an example. When you put it in the machine it says "lets go online and check for any new updates" updates being the definitive word here. I dont see Microsoft charging for these.
Probably, better examples around but you get the drift.
Perhaps TomTom needed some serious cash influx, so pushed this out before it's time, but either way it is a bit rude not giving customers the new version, even if it was those bought on and after the release date of this newer version.
dodgydodgy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make a good point Oz, but it's much easier for a company to push out their own software.

TomTom do make updates to *their* software available free (4.40 for example), and it even adds great new functionality .. just not the maps (which they don't own).

That said, I want a map upgrade as much as the next man :-)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: