Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - this just got interesting
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

this just got interesting
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonyfinn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you are willing to go through the trouble of sending it back then why not...

The problem will be finding a retailer who will be willing to open up a box for you and check it out for you, to make sure it has the most recent maps.
dodgydodgy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is annoying, and a problem - I guess larger retailers tend to have some stock of these items, so until the old stock is exhausted then you'll be on the older version.

I had a similar thing with a hi-fi component - they upgraded the display to a nice graphical one, but it was luck as to if you ended up getting it.

If you can, I'd try to return it .. and then wait a bit to buy, or try a smaller e-tailer (who tend to hold less stock).
jdatkinson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference between firmware versions for items like routers, as suggested above, is that for the most part one can identify the most recent firmware version, what it does, and whether to upgrade it or not because the manufacturers make this information available readily I've certainly upgraded firmware on both my camera and router this way, am happy with the stability of both, and am clear about the differences between old firmware and new because the manufacturers make it clear. I cannot say this for my Go; it's almost classified information as far as I can see.
Sniff
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that`s a little unfair, jdatkinson :o

The `firmware` you`re discussing is readily available for free download from the Tomtom website, and the website also explains the differences between the latest version and the previous version. The version you`re running is easily identifiable from the GO itself, and you can then easily make the decision to upgrade or not.

The problem is with the maps, not the firmware, and has been discussed many many times already on this forum, the mapping data doesn`t belong to Tomtom, it is licensed from Teledata. And as far as Teledata is concerned, it probably IS classified information.
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teledata? i thought it was teleatlas? :D
jdatkinson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes no difference to me whether this is firmware or mapping data. From my point of view it's software essential to the adequate functioning of the device; some users of this forum have more up to date mapping data than others. The difference may be absolutely miniscule, in which case many of us are sounding off about nothing, but the point is that we don't know, because TomTom aren't telling. As i've said, this stance does not compare well with the support provided to users of other electronic products, irrespective of the licensing issues underlying it. I do not think I am being unfair, and I have been reading these forums for while now, so i am reasonably up to speed with other discussions that have taken place regarding this issue.
Sniff
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops Teleatlas indeed Embarassed

JD, I agree it makes no difference ot the usability (or otherwise) of the product, and so it doesn`t help you. I was just trying to point out that maybe it`s not Tomtom who are to blame here. Maybe their licensing agreement with Teleatlas prevents them from releasing details about the maps.

I don`t know, anymore than anyone else on these forums knows (unless there`s a Tomtom lawyer lurking here!) but if Tomtom were simply able to slap the new map on a CD and sell it to all of us for 100 quid, don`t you think they would take that opportunity? Clearly it`s just not as simple as that, so until someone in Tomtom comes to tell us why it`s being handled like this, we`re all just speculating.
feenix
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think you have got the older version, check the CD that came with the ttg as it may well have the newer version, regardless of the version pre-installed. mine did. Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: