Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - postcode search
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

postcode search

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
breers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: postcode search Reply with quote

Hi all - this is my first visit to this forum, infact my first ever visit to any forum - I am new on the scene of sat -nav having just purchased a navaman 510, it appears to be fine and to well suit my needs of travelling down the major motorways of the uk and then into city centres. I am however a little frustrated regarding the postcode finder utility.... one of the main reasons I purchsed the navaman was it stated that it had a 5 digit postal code facility?? I can only normally access 3, 4 if I am lucky! a frustrating example to this, is, I live at Peterlee Co Durham post code SR8 4SR, when I try to enter this it only accepts SR8 4, when I put the 'S' in, it tells me there are 'no matching records'? unfortunately Sr8 4 takes me 2 miles from my address - most dissapointing. Can anyone please advise on what to do here? is it me or limitations of the navman. I also live in Thorntree Gill - a major road in Peterlee, this is not picked up on the navman, yet newer and minor neighbouring streets are included, again how dissapointing. Can I do anything about all this? download anything for exaple - sorry to be verbose here and thank you in advance.
Steven
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The '5 digit' description is perhaps poor on Navman's part, but that is how all the GPS software programmes I've seen describe this function. Really it is 'First part plus 1' and as 'First part' can consist of upto four characters, this is where the claim of five comes from, I suspect.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to this, neither Autoroute 2005 nor Route66 2005 have Thorntree Gill listed. I did find it using Streetmap.co.uk but all I got then was an arrow, not an actual streetname. How new is the road and has it been renamed in part? I assume it is either an extension of, or a road off, Eastfields.
breers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: thorntree gill Reply with quote

thorntree gill is the oldest road in peterlee and was accessed long before eastfield?? i too have checked streetmap and multipap and have notices that it does not include thorntree gill? Eastfield is quite a short road with and exagerated length on the maps, how misleading, can i download anything to amend? as I mentioned I have just purchased the navman 510 - and have not used the accompanying cd with maps etc, should i be looking at this?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately there is nothing that you can do to rectify this situation, other than report it to TeleAtlas. The CD will contain the same data as the maps already on your device.
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi breers, Don't know if it makes you feel better but my street is wrongly named on the Navman - just as it is on streetmap, multimap and the OS map for the county! It seems that only the people who live on it, and the postman, know its real name.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By following the TeleAtlas link two posts up, you have the opportunity to rectify the situation.
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to their website, but I can't work out how they want the co-ordinates entered. I can display them in either degrees N and W or as deg, mins and secs. Their page needs to have a short entry of 4 numbers followed by another much longer entry to complete the co-ords. What should I putting in there?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use decimal degrees. The first box is for whole degrees and the second one is for the tenths. Don't forget to precede the Y coordinate with a "-" sign if it is West of the Greenwich Meridian. (Just as South of the equator would be preceded by a "-" in the X coordinate box.)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: