Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - reassigning camera type, and speeds of cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

reassigning camera type, and speeds of cameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lsuhe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: reassigning camera type, and speeds of cameras Reply with quote

I've been using the SC database for 6 months - one word - brilliant!
Still I'm just as happy as most here to do my bit to help.
As the database has grown a lot of cameras that are not Gatso have been marked as Gatso (in the early stages of the database). Now we have separate categories for SPECS and red light camera my question is..

What is the nest way to get these cameras assigned to the proper type?
Do I

1. drive by a red light camera, and record a new red light camera ( that was previously listed as a gatso)
2. Drive by a red light camera and record a new red light camera, and also do a remove of a false camera??

The same goes for SPECS. Some are listed as Gatso and I know that they are specs, do you just record the new specs, or record the new specs, and remove the existing GATSO etc.

Second point. As new cameras go up or are submitted hopefully the forum users are recording the speed that the camera is set to and when this is submitted you can gradually increase the information that is held about the cameras so eventually we can split the database into the various speeds BUT...
If as a user I drive by a camera and it warns me that there is a camera coming I do not know if the speed information is held about that camera, but I would have thought that most users would only submit a camera if it is new or moved, and not if it already warns you, so slowing the process of getting the speed info. What is the best way to tackle this issue?

Discuss!

Cheers to all

Chris
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I write a monthly report of my findings, with something like what is shown below for headings.

Add missing Gatso to database

xx.xxxxx, y.yyyyy@zz

Move from Gatso to RLC database

Gatso:nnnn

Add missing RLC to database

xx.xxxxx, y.yyyyy

etc....

where x is the northing,, y is the easting, z is the speed limit and nnnn is the assigned Gatso number.

I don't give speeds for RLC entries as I can't see any benefit in it.
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isuhe,

It is a case of sorting out a technique that you can safely use whilst driving. If you are using CheckPOInt or POIWarner to record camera positions then you can review your recordings and edit them using TTN3 when you are stopped.

I usually tap-and-hold on the map screen an select Nearby Points of Interest. Next select the POI file, say CheckPOInt.ov2, and select an entry. If you have defined a symbol (.bmp) for CheckPOInt then you will see its position on the map. Now tap-and-hold on the POI icon, select More... on the pop-up menu and then Edit point of interest. You can now edit the text. You could now add that it is to replace GATSO:xxxx which you should be able to see on the map as well. This will certainly help me when you send in the update.

I have found that it is best to review any recorded positions as soon after recording them as possible as I soon forget any extra details regarding the points. But then I am Oldie :D

Richard
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Oldie,

What I do now is have the software screen on the GPS status screen, which displays Lat/Long coordinates. I then take a screenshot of that screen as I'm level with the camera (a one-button press on my iPAQ) and use a taperecorder to log the finer detail (camera type, position, speed limit, etc.) as required.
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

Are you using the screen copy program written by Lutz? I understand that it provides a file name which is something that Magic SS does not do. Has Lutz posted his program in the Downloads area?

My current approach is to use the TomTom Memorize on screen button to record the location in Recent Locations. So I tap the screen, tap the Memorize icon and ask my wife to write down the extra details. Not so high tech as your method Wink

Later when stopped I revisit the Recent Locations and use tap-and-hold to copy the location into an OV2 file. At that time it is also possible to add some detail. I find that having to hit the right onscreen button in CheckPOInt a bit too distracting when driving. Poor old chap.

Richard
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am using Lutz's programme, all bought and paid for. It isn't freeware, but you can download a trial copy from here. It costs an embarassingly low $3.99. Screenshot size is down from 250K to under 40K in most cases, as I save as .jpg as opposed to .bmp, which is the other option. MagicSS never varied in file size, ScreenshotCE does. ScreenshotCE is so much better, having auto save, auto name, save to directory of your choice, etc..

Lutz was looking at adding .png support. Hey, I've only got 1.06, whereas the link above shows 1.07! Evil or Very Mad

Lutz

Me Me Me
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, the best just got better. V1.07 adds a function to save a voice file to each screenshot, so now I can even do away with the taperecorder. Each recording is given the same name as the shot it is associated with, save the extension, naturally.

Lutz, you have excelled yourself.
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim, and Lutz of course. I will give it a try.

Richard
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. I have not had any success installing the trial version. When I run the .EXE file I get an Application error window which states " The application failed to initialize properly".

Any ideas Lutz Question

I have paid for the full version but I have not received the setup program via email yet Crying or Very sad

Richard
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie,

check your mail.

I had reports from some users that setup fails on XP SP2, but I can't reproduce it on my machine.

Lutz

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz,

Thank you for the file. Yes I too am using Windows XP SP2 although I did try running the .EXE with the Norton firewall and antivirus disabled - it made no difference.

Richard
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using PPCInstallBuilder Lite - basically because it's free. If anyone has a better idea for a Setup creator I'd be more than happy to try that instead.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: