Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom go or navman 510
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom go or navman 510
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
min
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: tomtom go or navman 510 Reply with quote

tomtom go or navman icn 510, which should i buy, is screen better on nav than go.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both use a PDA style screen, so both will have trouble in bright sunlight. If this is an issue for you, you need to look at other products like a Navman iCN630 or Garmin StreetPilot.

Are you going to want to leave it in-car, or carry it around with you ? The GO can be quite cumbersome to carry around.
rob-bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: would not go for tomtom Reply with quote

see problems ive had with it....
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=12301
you might have to cut and paste it though.......
had a streetpilot III was not impressed with that either
i would wait to see what the navman is like....trhe best one ive had and still have it tomtom 2 on a pda
MiddleMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
any idea when your review of the Navman 510 will be appear?
Being my first GPS system purchase, I'm totally split between the Tom Tom Go and Navman and was hoping your review of the Navman would convince me either way.

If any of you guys in forum land can help sway my decision, I would welcome any help.

Cheers
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The review Dave did is here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/navman-icn510.php

As far as the decision goes, I was in the same predicament until I read the review and I was immediately sold. I've been reading heaps about the TTGo on this site and others, and was about to go and order one, even though I had a few misgivings from what I was reading.

The 510 tackles the main problems I had with the TTGo (and yes, I did manage to have a play with one). The big difference for me is the huge amount of control you have with the 510 over 'shortest v quickest', 'more or less freeways' and 'more or less urban roads', all with three sliders that allow you to set it just right. After a couple of days I think I've got the settings to just where I want them, and I can always change them to suit a particular trip I want to take.

The other huge plus for me was the size. The 510 is the same as most PDA's - nice and flat. It fits easily into my shirt pocket or into the briefcase so I can take it with me if I fear the car being broken into. The Go is way too bulky for me.

The 510 comes well packaged, it feels like a quality product, even the stylus has a certain 'weight' to it so it doesn't feel like a cheap cocktail stick. It comes fully charged and really does work straight from the box.

If I decide to divert from a route, it recalcs in seconds. The screen redraws in under a second as I drive along and is nice, bright and crisp.

I love the way you can get pop-up menus on the 2D maps - very useful if you're plotting a route from inside the house and also to shade in any 'avoid areas'.

Another advantage over the Go is the way you can change the screen to show you a close-up of the next manouvre before you get there, this can also be zoomed in or out and the icon of 'you' appears on the screen when you arrive at the intersection.

I also like the fact that there are a few hard buttons to press for the most common things like ESC, Change Page, Home, Screen Brightness and Volume. These are ideal to use while on the move. The four way pad also can be used instead of the stylus although I find it a bit fiddly if I'm driving. I don't like to use the stylus when I'm driving, it takes far too much concentration.

The menus are really easy to understand. I had most of it sussed before I read the detailed instructions on the CD-ROM.

Another plus is that you can have up to a dozen (I think) via points on the way to a final destination.

Okay , that's the plusses. The few minuses I have are:

1. The speaker is too small and tinny to be clearly heard over the stereo! It needs some sort of bass response to it. I know Tom Tom have sorted this out really well but the size of the TTGo is way to large to be easily put in a pocket. To their credit, Navman have supplied the unit with a headphones jack for an external speaker.

2. The windscreen mount needs to have a small extension arm to be able to bring the unit a little closer. My windscreen doesn't rake dramatically, but I find the unit is a little too far away to press buttons conveniently as I sit further away from the wheel than some drivers.

3. The night setting for the display doesn't seem to do much. There are a few other colour settings for the maps but I fail to see any real advantage in going off the default setting.

4. I would like to see an option whereby you could increase/decrease the number of street names displayed around you. At times it gets a bit cluttered but I'm getting used to it.

Overall - I love it. Easily portable, easy to use (now I've worked out how to d/load the speed camera POI's) and so far, extremely reliable. I called Navman support to ask a question about the battery and got thru no problem and got the answer straight away. Didn't have to wait to get a reply from an email.

Hope this helps your decision.
MiddleMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Simon
You've addressed all the the plus and minuses that are holding my final decision.
I thought Dave was going to do a second full review on the Navman but maybe I read it wrong.

I am a little worried about the speaker on the Navman, but I have used a laptop GPS system in the car which is just loud enough with avg volume on the stereo, so as long as it could match this I would be happy.

I also like the idea of the zoom in map on junctions of the Navman and the combined map and direction arrow display that it offers.

The 'shortest v quickest' options are also a plus point for me.

So my only plus points on the Go are the volume and price advantage (which is becoming less of a difference lately, down to £30 on last search on web).

Now is there anyone out there who has seen the Navman but instead still bought the Go? I would like to see their findings.
MiddleMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and by the way Simon, how does the screen on the Navman cope on sunny days? This problem is something that is troubling me with the Go, although alot of people don't see a problem with it.

Would you say its a problem on the Navman as well?
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon1 wrote:
1. The speaker is too small and tinny to be clearly heard over the stereo! It needs some sort of bass response to it. I know Tom Tom have sorted this out really well but the size of the TTGo is way to large to be easily put in a pocket. To their credit, Navman have supplied the unit with a headphones jack for an external speaker.

I recently saw a nice pair of amplified personal stereo speakers in Asda. Silver in colour and each with their own internal amplifier and running off a battery (PP3 size I think). One would plug straight into the phono socket and the other as a spare!

Didn't have time to check them out properly at the time but at only £4.95 for the pair it's got to be worth a look.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MiddleMan wrote:
and by the way Simon, how does the screen on the Navman cope on sunny days? This problem is something that is troubling me with the Go, although alot of people don't see a problem with it.

Funny you should say that. Today was the first time the sun had become an issue. I actually opened the sunroof this afternoon and realised immediately the problem. Yes, it is a bit reflective. I think I may have sorted the problem by tilting it down a bit so that it reflects the black of the dashboard. I've got a Seat Leon and it sits on the right of the instrument cluster. Over the instruments, the dash rises like a large hump and the 510 sits just behind and above that. The screen is still more or less facing me and is very easily readable. Otherwise, no I don't have a major problem with it.

If you want to go and see one, apparently Halfords are the only High St retailer with them until the New Year. They've done some sort of marketing deal with Navman - I got this info directly from Navman.
resuj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MiddleMan wrote:

I used for my icn 510 the Brando anti-reflective pda screen protector for mitac mio. It significantly cuts down the glare that even the person at the backseat can see the screen clearly.
Ditch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the speaker issue, I resolved that easily with a "very" inexpensive amplified (single) speaker available at Radio Shack for about $12.00US.

It runs on a 9v battery, but also has a plug to use an auto power adapter which I placed (both speaker & adapter) behind my dash so replacing batteries wouldn't become a problem. It's small, easily attached out of the way with some heavy duty Velcro, and has sufficient audio output to be heard clearly (male voice seemes better for this) over a car stereo at pretty substantial volume. I suggest taking power for the Navman & speaker from a line that only powers up when the auto is running. That way you won't find a dead battery if you don't drive your car for an extended bit such as when on holiday...

The only thing you have to be careful about is not to dial up the voume too high or the audio will distort. But with a careful initial adjustment, it works like a charm and costs very little.

Hope this is of help! Wink
sdclark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of buying either the Tomtom GO or the Navman iCN 510 as well.

But after reading many forum posts, reviews etc I'm think it will be the Navman.

One thing I want to know though. How does the navman iCN 510 display POI Safety Cameras when approaching them? Are you able to select only warn if on route as on the TTG? Question

Being able to change soundfile for warnings has also swayed my decision to the Navman. I currently have a Garmin Streetpilot III, which is for sale on eBay at the moment. Finding that it's slow finding routes etc. Would like one with a 3D display now.

Hope someone can answer my questions.

Loking forward to getting new one.
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdclark wrote:

One thing I want to know though. How does the navman iCN 510 display POI Safety Cameras when approaching them? Are you able to select only warn if on route as on the TTG?

When it works (ahem) the cameras are displayed with a POI icon on the screen. This is a point of contention at the moment as it seems to be a bug in the system that prevents these icons from showing all the time. However, you are also warned of the cameras by an audible warning and by a 'distance to camera' warning on the display - both of these work all the time.

I've noticed that the icons for the cameras show on the map whether on route or simply on a nearby road.
Egor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seriously thinking about this model. Like most peeps was going to get the TTG.

I have an Apple computer will this make using the 510 difficult ?

How much is the 510 and also is it battery only or can it be powered off the cig lighter ?

Many thanks

mark
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Navman's website, it isn't possible to use the iCN510 with an Apple Mac, even using Virtual PC.

The RRP is £499 although it can be found for less if you look around. It can be run from the battery, for which Navman claim a four hour life, or from the supplied Car cord or mains adapter.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: