Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI Notification
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI Notification
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lynnk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: POI Notification Reply with quote

I am using CP5 in the US. I have loaded some custom POI's and set the PPC to notify me when it gets close to any of them. The unit does that for the first one it comes to and then will not notify me of any more until I exit CP5 and restart it ... it then does the same thing .. notifies me only of the first one it comes to. Has anybody else seen this problem? Has it been mentioned somewhere else and I've missed it??
lexuscol
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing happens with mine, first one is reported then nothing I have given up with it. I think I am going to dump cp5 I am not finding it as easy to use as it is supposed to be. Take using the map to select your destination from. How do you get to the map without entering an address? Some of the places I go to do not have recognised addresses. EG. the back lanes have no name. so I cant get the map up. I have also noticed it tries to turn me round on a one way street if I ignore some of the instructs. It also refuses to at times to give spoken detail at roundabouts, it draws the route but doesnt always tell you, this I find dangerous as a roundabout is one place you need to pay attention to the road. Map detail although relatively current is somewhat lacking in features also.
lynnk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have discover something about the POI situation. When you get withing range of a POI a screen pops up to alert you and it gives you 2 choices. You can cancel the point (big "X") or can tell it to give you directions to it. If you do nothing, the screen goes away in a few seconds and you'll never see another POI until you restart CP5. However, if you hit the "X" to cancel the POI, it will alert you to the next one when you get within range. If you keep cancelling, it will keep alerting you ... or you can select to add it as a stop and then it gives you directions to it. But you have to react quickly because the screen does not stay up very long.

I found this is the way to select a destination from the map: Put the system in Planning Mode. Tell it you want a new trip .. that opens the screen with 9 boxes for poi, address, etc. Close it by taping the "x" in the top right corner. That takes to another screen ... close it also ... that puts you on the map. Find to where you want to go and tap and hold that point and it will open a dialog box that will let you add that place as a Stop. The first place you tap will be the start point ... the second one you select will be the finish point. If you tap and save move they can be changed to waypoints by taping it on the list which allows you to move it up or down and set it as a waypoint.

I have tried 3 major programs ... Street Atlas Handheld, Destinator and CoPilot (and I had also previously used Phros). I had CP4 and returned it and had kind of settled on Destinator 3 but it has a few shortcomings too. The tech support was not good so when CP5 came out I decided to try that again. It is pretty good ... the routing seems to be logical .. D3 many times tried to take you on back roads ... it's like they didn't have any idea what roads were the major ones. None of them are perfect .. each has some good and bad points. You have to decide what features are most important to you. :D
lexuscol
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info, I will give it another go and see how I get on.
Cheers
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: POI Notification Reply with quote

lynnk wrote:
I am using CP5 in the US. I have loaded some custom POI's and set the PPC to notify me when it gets close to any of them. The unit does that for the first one it comes to and then will not notify me of any more until I exit CP5 and restart it ... it then does the same thing .. notifies me only of the first one it comes to. Has anybody else seen this problem? Has it been mentioned somewhere else and I've missed it??

I haven't see this happening, how much program memory free do you have before starting CoPilot ?

lexuscol wrote:
Take using the map to select your destination from. How do you get to the map without entering an address? Some of the places I go to do not have recognised addresses. EG. the back lanes have no name. so I cant get the map up.

As lynnk says, just switch to PLANNING mode on the bottom menu. It will bring up the normal TRIP Planning screen, just tap OK and it will return to MAP view, you can then zoom in and out, pan around the map and tap/hold a location to set a destination.

lexuscol wrote:
I have also noticed it tries to turn me round on a one way street if I ignore some of the instructs. It also refuses to at times to give spoken detail at roundabouts, it draws the route but doesnt always tell you, this I find dangerous as a roundabout is one place you need to pay attention to the road. Map detail although relatively current is somewhat lacking in features also.

Does the spoken instructions on roundabout actually show the roundabout on the map ? If not, that's the reason why because what NAVTEQ class as mini-roundabouts which are roundabouts without a true built up island, won't be treated as a roundabout.

Also CoPilot won't necessarily tell you to go straight ahead at the roundabout unless it feels it's not straight ahead. It expects you to stick on the same road until it tells you to turn off, so this maybe what you are experiencing.
lexuscol
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks once again GURU Dave, you will have to start online tuition I think for us dummies!! Got to the planning map now.
On the subject of the spoken directions, I was coming from the A64 into York from the scarborough direction at the A1079 slip road. I was given directions to bear left off a64 which was correct, at the top of the slip is a roundabout with 4 exits. The route had been highlighted but no direction info was given. I have tried this route a couple of times since and CP5 still behaves the same. Fortunately I know the route but for a stranger it could be dangerous, there are three sets of Lights on this roundabout and trying to see your direction watch the lights and traffic, could put someone in an embarrrassing situ. I have found that on other multi junctions too. I will try the prog with poi's turned off to see if it makes a difference.
Cheers
lynnk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALK finally got back to me ... I didn't have the latest patch in the PPC. Embarassed

Downloaded and installed so now I need to try it again and see if the POI's announce even if you don't cancel them ... will report back.

Dave .. can't tell you how much memory was there off the top of my head and I don't have the unit with me. I know there was a good bit.. not running much in this unit.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a CoPilot bug with a memory leak though so although you may have thought you had some memory there if you had run, exited, re-ran CoPilot a few times without restarting the PPC then that memory may have been reduced.
Duncans
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just completed a trip through Northampton and A43, passing two speed cameras with NO POI announcment Sad

Checked in options - and have custom POIs set to 0.2 m alert
Checked cameras were in database - Yes both show up on the map

Is this one of the memory problems do you think? I might try a few experiemnts by loading up the system to give it a few memory problems and then drive passed the cameras - let you know the results.

Duncan

CoPilot 5.0.1.22
Ipaq 4150 RAM 56.77MB
lynnk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK ... I ran a test with 4 Custom POI's that I created along a route I was going last night. I'm happy to say that CP5 did tell me that it was approaching Test Point 1 and then Test Point 2. I did nothing when it flashed up the screen .. it came up ... stayed a few seconds and then went away. .. a few miles later the next one came up ... this is good! But then I waited for Test Points 3 and 4 but they never showed up. I'm not sure why.

Do you know if you have to be in Guidance mode or will they show up if you just select the Navigation mode? Obviously, I have some more testing to do.
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote: There is a CoPilot bug with a memory leak

Do you have any idea from ALK when they might have a fix available?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm awaiting an email for an update, I'll let you know as soon as I have info.
Duncans
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POI Alert test

Set four custom POIs and then drove the route.

Soft reset before setting off, 18-19MB memory free.

Navigation Mode, 2D map view
NO ALERTS!

Guidance Mode (NO destination set) 2D map view
NO ALERTS!

Guidance Mode (destination set) 2D map view
ALL ALERTS :D

So, if you want to be warned of speed cameras, make sure you're going somwhere and CoPilot is guiding you there!

Cancelling the alert by 'clicking' the big red 'X', or leaving it to cancel itself did not seem to make any difference.

Duncan
brassmonkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you let us know all the settings you were running i.e distance for alert etc as I am having no luck in getting anything alerted. Tell a lie, it alerted me to one filling station not quite on my route and s*d all after that. Most dissapointing as I agonised for ages before settling on copilot 5.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brassmonkey wrote:
can you let us know all the settings you were running i.e distance for alert etc as I am having no luck in getting anything alerted.

No problems with alerts.
Settings are:-
Option, Guidance.
Speak Turn Warnings At
3/10mi & Just Ahead ticked
5sec/100ft
Custom Display set to Top = Heading
Bottom = Speed
Map Settings
Mile and Heading Up
Automatic Day/Night Mode
Display POIs
Display Turn Restrictions all Ticked

POIs
Enabled ticked. When set to 0.5 miles ahead.
Report POIs which are On Route, Near Route set to second vertical bar from the left.

POIs installed in Custom
Home
Safety Camera. This is the PocketGPS_UK_Gatso.xls, Redlight.xls &
Specs.xls files merged into one file and renamed
Safety_Camera.xls
Sainsbury's
CWS
These are Sainsbury's and CooP sites I have to visit as part of my work and enable me to plan a trip using POIs.
I only enable the pre-installed POIs if I need them and when I have they all seem to work ok.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: