Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Police Bike with Speed Camera
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Police Bike with Speed Camera
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HandyMac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
I still think the best way to stop this is to start staking out the PM, his cabinet and high up police chiefs, catch them speeding then see how suddenly speed cameras drop in the areas they frequent most

I can just see it now - you see the PM coming down the road and you raise a pointy gun type thing.

Better make sure you write your will before you do that!

Andrew
HandyMac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuego wrote:
However, a 20-ton articulated rig is going to take a lot more stopping than an average family car, for the same speed, so I guess we have to put up with lower limits for vans and lorries

I guess you are right, but is it a fact that a 20 ton rig will take more distance to stop? Those things tend to have far better brakes than any average family car.

What amazes me on motorways is when you get artics ploughing along only feet away from the artic in front. No way can the guy behind see in front of him, so if the front artic pulls up quick the guy behind is history.

Andrew
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HandyMac wrote:
I guess you are right, but is it a fact that a 20 ton rig will take more distance to stop? Those things tend to have far better brakes than any average family car.

Yes, they have better brakes than a family car, but they certainly don't stop faster.

They are 10 times the weight of a family car, they take much longer to stop, they are more likely to lose control while stopping, they can't swerve to avoid obstacles and the tyres and suspension systems are designed to carry heavy weight, not take corners.
jezbod
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Police in the York area Reply with quote

Nice one! A van with infra red cameras, on an unlit straight stretch of A road (A1079), no warning signs, at 10 minutes past midnight Sunday night / Monday morning.
Not a chance in hell of knowing it was there. I travel this route at least twice a week and have never seen a camera there in the 9 years I have travelled this route.
It was positioned to get people as they increase speed from some "traffic calming" and unecessary road side furniture onto a straight that is about 3/4 mile long.
Just venting my spleen.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: