Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman icn510, Quest or GO........
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman icn510, Quest or GO........

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NicT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Navman icn510, Quest or GO........ Reply with quote

Navman icn 510, uest or GO
Having tried all three for a week (each) I have decided to stay with the Navman icn 510. It is a superb little machine and as far as I can judge has all the benefits of the GO ie. large touchscreen,3d view, editable POI's , fast retouting, screen & speaker in one unit, so no need for the cig-lighter cable (as long as you charge it well before setting off) which really bugged me with the Quest., all this without the hassle of a bulky unit or one without a touchscreen and of a reasonable screen size. The Quest screen is just too small and having to enter all info by tiny buttons is a real chore. I dont ever see the Quest becoming a motorists accessory, but perhaps for a motorised "rambler", as the size & build quality are its best features. ( As I dont anticipate hoofing it through the Border areas or loosing my way on foot in the Cairngorns, I am leaving the Quest to more adventurous souls)
Now the 510, its size, shape and weight is far the better of all three and best of all the price, it turned out to be the cheapest of them all ! I think Navman have produced a winner in the 510. I just hope that the backup (if ever needed) and the service are up to scratch but so far no problems.
One other point that I found to be an important factor in making the decision to go with the 510 is its screen holder. It is far smaller and neater and possibly more adjustable (ball joint) than that of the GO which I think we can all agree is a little "Clunky" and far too big whereas the screen holder for the Quest is much smaller BUT, to get the unit away from the mount is a PIG. Whoever designed the Quest screen mount needs shooting in my humble opinion. The time that I spent trying to separate the two and the language involved made ownership of a Quest a dangerous option ! How it never all went out of the car window is a miracle, though perhaps being the costliest of the three had some bearing on my actions ?
The software (maps, etc) seem to be as good for the 510 as for the Quest and I think I read somewhere that the same mapping is used in the GO, it certainly seems adequate for my needs so far. OK, there are a few niggles in there, a few wrong turns and missed roads but it is the same for all three and will never be perfect unless the mapping companys give us weekly updates which I dont see happening very soon !
So, it is definitely the 510 for my money. I am glad I waited for its appearance on the market and it even saved me some money !
I hope this little report will be of some use to someone out there. The time it has taken me, not being the speediest typist, makes it a work of....... Love ? No No I think not, but cant think what.
Dawn is breaking over the capital, time to quit. If any other points spring to mind I will let you know.
Best wishes Nic.
falcon_14
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nic !

What about the speakers and the brightness of the screen ? I've read quiet negative comments about the one of the ICN 510. What do you think ? is it that bad if you compare all of them ???
I'm still hesitating a lot between the GO & the 510 Rolling Eyes

see you,
Mic
NicT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mic,

Re. your query about the sound & brightness of the 510.....

The sound quality is quite adequate (unless you are planning to listen to some opera) and also the volume level is adjustable. Of course the GO has a better speaker but the price of that is the rather clumsy shape of the unit.

Brightness is also adjustable and I have had no problems with it.

Overall, I am happy with the 510 and would not change it for a GO and certainly not for a Quest.

Let me (us) know which one you go for and your comments please.

Regards Nic.
fleng
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for the Go! The power lead for the 510 plugs up through the car mount. The lead for the Go plugs into the car mount (as does the external antenna) so mounting/dismounting the Go is a single handed simple operation whereas with all the others you are plugging and unplugging leads. Also, the Go gives distance to next manoevre in yards. The others give it in feet (when set to statute). The Quest has an option for yards but still gives instructions in feet.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: