Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS in Planes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS in Planes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rich33
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: GPS in Planes Reply with quote

Hi all

As a couple of you are aware, I'm off to gay Paris with the wife on Sunday! To break up the boredom of a long flight :D I was going to use my Fortuna and my maps to see exactly the route and speed we were taking etc.

1) Will I be able to get a fix in the plane?
2) Am I allowed to do this?

Thanks

Rich
Ipaq 4150 - Fortuna Clip On BT - Lexar 256mb SD Card / Kingston 256mb SD Card - TomTom Nav 3.05T - Traffic - CheckPOInt 2.0.2.0 - Mapopolis - Memory Map 2004 UK - Brodit Mount - & BT Registry Fix (recommended!)
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) You will most likely get a fix if you hold the receiver close to the window.
Different airlines have different policies regarding electronic equipment and their use.
2) However, you will need to speak to the cabin crew as to whether you will be allowed to have it switched on during the flight. You most certainly cannot have it switched on during take off and landing.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
tOpCaT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not switched on during take-off doesn't that mean you won't get a fix as, in my experience, you need to be stationary to get a fix and you'll be flying at several hundred miles an hour at that point?! Just wondering... Question
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to be stationary to get a fix, it just takes longer if you aren't! I have successfully used my Garmin GPS 3+ (now sold), my GPS V, my Navman SE sleeve and my Navman BT receiver on flights. I did find that I had to hold the receiver against the window in each instance, and also I only got 3/4 sats each time though.
RobStevens
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have a Memory-Map world map?

It wouldn't have to be high-resolution, just enough to see which country you're flying over on a long-haul flight.
rich33
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Cheers for all the replies. The world map is a great idea, does anyone know of such software which would work with gps in this way? Do Memory Map produce such a thing?

I flew to the US last year and having a window seat kept wondering exactly where we were!

Rich
Ipaq 4150 - Fortuna Clip On BT - Lexar 256mb SD Card / Kingston 256mb SD Card - TomTom Nav 3.05T - Traffic - CheckPOInt 2.0.2.0 - Mapopolis - Memory Map 2004 UK - Brodit Mount - & BT Registry Fix (recommended!)
dynamo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great idea Smile

Make sure you log it so we can see how well it worked Wink
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS in Planes Reply with quote

rich33 wrote:
1) Will I be able to get a fix in the plane?

Yes, I have done it many times with my Garmin GPS-V. I have never tried using a BT GPS though.

You have to hold the receiver against the window. Make sure you get a good lock on all the visible sats before you go into the terminal building. This will help your GPS do a hot start when you switch it on. You won't get a very good fix, maybe 4 or 5 sats, and sometimes you lose 3D fix and it doesn't know what height you are at. If your view is obscured by a wing or engine then you may have problems getting a fix.

The GPS sometimes has trouble getting a lock at 37,000 feet and 600 MPH, be patient with it while it figures out what the hell is going on. Laughing

rich33 wrote:
2) Am I allowed to do this?

Go and ask your mother! Wink

You are not supposed to use it (or any other electronic equipment) during takeoff and landing, although I have done this many times. I was asked to switch it off once while on a Qantas flight, other than that no one has been bothered by it. It goes without saying that you must switch it off and leave it off if they ask you to. I never ask the cabin crew for permission and I am discrete with it when they walk past, so don't have any problems. Wink

Make sure you record a tracklog of your trip, it's cool to play it back and see the flight path, approach, glide slope, take off speed etc. If your GPS supports it then make it display the vertical speed.

Enjoy!
rich33
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy, thanks for the info! It's a shame I'm not flying any further than Paris although I am looking forward to using my BT and PDA whilst in my first 'unknown' city since buying all the kit and see how it all goes on foot with Mapopolis (as its free for 9 days!)

Whilst you were flying what software were you using to track your flight...just the Garmin stuff? I've added the basic TomTom European maps you get with Nav3 as my MM is only UK. Will have to just use the basic Nav3 log Sad

Rich
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rich33 wrote:
Whilst you were flying what software were you using to track your flight...just the Garmin stuff?

Yes, it has moving map which shows an outline of the country and you can zoom in to see which city you are passing over. It also has a sort of "trip computer" screen which shows a compass heading, vertical speed, speed over ground, altitude, distance to destination etc.

When I get home I import the track logs into Mapsource on my PC.

I don't really know which PPC software is best for Aircraft use, I think Teletype did a package with proper aviation maps but it's probably not worth spending $100 on...
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the airline..
True Story.

Took my Garmin III Pilot (yes, the one I use for flying in helicopters and planes) to be told by one airline it could not be used! Go figure.. This is CAA approved and contains an aviation database...

Didn't argue though as this carrier was a little sensitive after 9/11.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Memory-Map on my 2210 / TT BT GPS on a UK Domestic flight recently and it worked superbly. I asked the cabin crew and they in turn asked the pilot who was sufficiently interested that he came back to see the kit in action once we were at cruise altitude! He brought his Garmin III Pilot to show me and explained that many used their own GPS in the cockpit as backup!!

I tucked the GPS under the sun shade and it aquired within a minute even though we were climbing through 26000ft at 400+ mph. It was great to see the ground track and when I got home I downloaded the track to the PC and hovering over the track line at any given point shows speed and height.

The airlines have widely different policies on these devices, some will allow them, some will ask the pilot and others do not permit them. Ask politely and if they refuse leave it at that.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: