Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No beeps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No beeps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Speedtrap Alert (STA)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gym
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:51 am    Post subject: No beeps Reply with quote

Firstly, thanks again for the app and ongoing support/updates. Thumbs Up
I recently updated my Samsung Galaxy as, compared to my wife's S20, my S10+'s updates had been getting fewer and farther between, plus no 5G.
So, I've now got an S23+, running Android 13, One UI 5.1.
I copied everything over rather than start fresh but there were some settings that needed changing afterwards.
STA seemed to be working but I wasn't getting an audio warning and after trying lots of settings, I finally gave up, uninstalled, reinstalled, and started again.
As we know, testing can be difficult. I had plans to find a bit of road that I knew had cameras and travel it during a quiet time, back & forth, changing settings each time. I then struck on the idea of adding a camera outside my house by editing a database but read here this morning about false GPS apps so added Mock Locations to my phone.
I’ve run a few test drives and the popups and voice warnings seem to be working now (although I did get a phone notification, warning me about STA running).
The way I used to use STA was to turn on location, set do not disturb (to avoid text message notifications etc.), start STA from a widget, update the database and drive.
On another, connected subject, once I’ve got STA working, I’ve yet to see how it plays with Google Map guidance, as it now goes to a “drive mode”, similar to Android Auto, when you press Start.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm

I picked up a S23+ on Monday, p/x my old S10 for the same reasons, so we can compare notes.

My STA is working perfectly, but, I only use the Speedo display with alerts.

I did have to reset all the various camera alerts as Samsung Smart Switch wasn't that clever. I also had to install Google TTS as it's better than Samsung and I use Google Voice #3

ps: This case is superb : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BJSLLBVT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Far better than the Samsung cases.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Gym
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a very fortunate position, I work for a company that has access to a discount scheme and the Samsung bit saved me a fair chunk. I was going to wait and see what Black Friday deals there were but there was such a good pre-release deal I went for it. I included a leather case to make the most of the discount but then found my friend Ali in China has much more choice, so bought one very similar to that one but Samsung branded, plus a silicone one I’ll use when we go away in the summer. I was careful to choose ones that are thick enough to avoid the raised lenses protruding. I didn’t part-x the S10 as we don’t have a spare Android, having moved from Windows.
One of the pros, is the battery in the S23+, offset a bit by the weight and thickness and of course no headphone socket.
The section of road I used for the testing has average cameras, I’ve now done a section with a standard speed camera and the beeps are there so, fingers crossed, I’m back to where I was. Laughing
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say beeps but I have just the camera type and speed as a verbal alert via the car audio system so I don't have to take my eyes off the road.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Gym
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using a section of road with average cameras (that don't have beeps) but changed it to a section with a standard speed camera and the beeps are there, at least in the test.
I can add the cameras to my VW navigation screen so just have STA running as the Speedometer, either over the phone's speaker if I'm on my own or a single bluetooth earphone when my wife is in the car.
The VW satnav is very good but has a habit of trying to take me on a strange, convoluted route to get to Michael Wood Services on our way to Dorset. My plan is to have STA running (with the phone set to Do Not Disturb) plus Google Maps for directions and the car display screen just showing the route and upcoming camera icons. Complicated but the best of all 3 worlds. Very Happy
Gym
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Int technology great?" Confused
Tested on the way home from work and SPA wouldn't track me. I don't know if the S23+ isn't getting a GPS signal sat on the centre console or the case is interfering with the antenna but I'm seriously considering using my S10+ as PND.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure that Google Play Services is your location provider in STA

I changed my phone holder from a Brodit S10 active mount to a universal QI active mount so the phone has a clear view of the sky as mine is located by the gearstick.

It's the Brodit 718300 that is fully compatible with the S23+ in the case I linked to earlier.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Gym
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very strange...and annoying.
I'd already got Google Play services as the Location provider, managed to get STA to track my location (the living room) last night. Ran some more tests with the Mock Locations app and everything was working fine, with voice warnings and beeps. Closed both apps, reopened STA...no GPS connection (the --). Cleared the cache, no better. Changed location provider and back again (with re-starts), no better. Re-booted my phone...working again. Angry

So much for using my S10+ as a PND, it doesn't like to play with Google Maps. 10 seconds after starting or interacting with GM, STA goes to -- and stays like it.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very odd

Let me do a full test on Saturday when I'm next out.

All I can think of is to clear cache and data, uninstall, reboot, reinstall.

Just in case ...... Apps, STA, Permissions, Location, Allow all the time ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Last edited by Kremmen on Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said you transferred your data and settings over to the new phone. I wonder if there's some weird stuff going on from that?

Another thing to check would be to check battery saving options for the Location services. If rebooting the phone generally gets it working again it implies that the location service has stopped in the background.

I've had lots of issues since Android 9(?) - battery saving is great but it's a pain when key features of a phone get disabled to save battery. Had issues with Bluetooth on my last phone just being killed to save battery...!
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point ....

Device care, Memory, Excluded apps ..... add it in
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
Good point ....

Device care, Memory, Excluded apps ..... add it in

If that allows system apps then include the location services as well as STA
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from my test run and STA is working perfectly.

I've no idea why yours isn't working.

Post any settings you want me to check.

One bonus, the 23+ adaptive brightness works properly. On my S10, outdoors in bright light, mine went dimmer.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Gym
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through all of the options in Settings, including those suggested above and tested running STA + Google Maps together on a run for a family meal tonight. Everything worked as expected, apart from the screen staying on, though my phone was sitting on the charge pad of my wife's Fiesta so being powered. So thanks people. 👏

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Speedtrap Alert (STA) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Make a Donation

CamerAlert Database

Click here for the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database

Download Speed Camera Database
22.034 (27 Mar 24)

WORLDWIDE SPEED CAMERA SPOTTERS WANTED!

Click here to submit camera positions to the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database

12mth Subscriber memberships awarded every week for verified new camera reports!

Submit Speed Camera Locations Now

CamerAlert Apps

iOS QR Code

Android QR Code

© Terms & Privacy

GPS Shopping