Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Go Postcodes?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Go Postcodes?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
damobolton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: TomTom Go Postcodes? Reply with quote

Recently purchased ttg...superb! However, is it possible to navigate to a specific postcode. Would i have to download POI info etc...and if so where from? I travel extnsivley in the UK and some street names are not included.
Thanks
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post code PoI's can be downloaded from the "Points of Interest" in the list to the left of this page.

To install, just drag and drop the ones you need (.ov2 & .bmp) to the GB map folder on TTG. plug in TTg with USB and open both on the screen at the same time.

You will need a bigger SD card than the 128Mb supplied and you will need to be selective because you can only have 81 PoI categories on TTG.
NickDelion
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maximum number of POI categories on TTG is 96, including the standard ones.

Nick Delion
MijnTomTomGO.nl
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just counted mine again and I can only get 81!! Added one and wouldn't appear.
NickDelion
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange... got the answer from TomTom-support. They said:

U kunt maximaal 96 categorieën op de GO installeren, waarvan er 40 'extern' (dus niet pre-installed) mogen zijn (ov2-files).

In English: maximum 96 in total and 40 not pre-installed...
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a different number pre-installed in different markets?

I have 41 or 42 preinstalled so add the 40 more gets you 81 (or 82 if I lost count Rolling Eyes )
NickDelion
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might be right. We here (Netherlands) have 59 pre-installed...
BanziBarn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the London Postcodes, I take it that the one that doesn't mention a radius is the whole of London - i.e it is a combination of the other two?

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick here.

RE: not being enough room on the 128 card, I think the voices are about 1mb each aren't they so by nocking one of these off you should be able to add the postcodes on... but I could be wrong here?
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that you are limited to 40 extra PoI by TomTom. It's not a memory issue.

You can remove as many voices as you like to make more room - as long as you leave one. But you can't remove enough to make room for the Major Roads of Europe.
BanziBarn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried these post codes last night. I live in greater London, in Surrey. I put both the Surrey and the biggest of the London POIs on the TTG but my postcode wasn't listed.

Maybe you need all three of the London files to cover everything? Confused
timmyo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ripped the ov2 files to asc yesterday to try and join them up in to fewer file - what's your postcode? I'll look and see which file it's in.
When I looked in them yesterday there seemed to be overlap in the London files so I suspect you only need the big one, but I think the Surrey file and the GU file (for example) are different - maybe you need the GU file too?
BanziBarn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the GU file?
timmyo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I just meant the postcode file which has the GU?? ??? postcodes in it. In the same way you grabbed the London and Surrey files check the other code files in the download area. I specified GU as I think there are plenty of Surry codes in that file. Basically if you download all of the postcode files and convert them to .asc using WinOVL you can open the .asc versions in Wordpad and search for your postcode to be sure you also copy over the one you need.
If I haven't explained that clearly then just say what your postcode is and I'll look in the files here and tell you which one has yours in
Tim
Lomaxter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: tomtom go postcodes? Reply with quote

Hi I too am having problems with postcodes. I have downloaded all the regional files created by Tim O'Donnell and loaded them onto ttg. I only have 24 3rd party poi categories and my 512 mb sd ids only half full. yet the majotity of postcodes I key in are unfound. I am looking for HP2 6AH as an example. But the strange thing is if I activate the visual indicators and go to this area on the map HP2 6AH is there! What am I doing wrong I have tried to find it in Anglia, Midlands, South central and s east by typing in but nothing. Same for lots of postcodes. Am I searching in the right place? "navigate to" then "poi" then select the category then type the postcode? Help. Only had my ttg 1 day so forgive me if i am being ignorant!! Embarassed
Zuke
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made my own amalgamated postcode files, to get round the TTG maximum POI category problem, before Tim published his for everybody, so I'm not using the same files as you.

However, I can find your postcode ok in my South central group. You have to be a bit patient, because these combined lists are much bigger than anything TTG expects, so give it time to search before you give up.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: