Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Digital Traffic service will end June 2021
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Digital Traffic service will end June 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be aware that many dashcams need at least 1.5A, some 2A, and many fag lighter USB plugs don't supply that amperage.

Plus the USB cable AWG rating needs to be suitable.

One poster on Dashcamtalk had a freezing dashcam until he changed his USB cable from 22 to 26 AWG.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
PaulWH
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for that info.

My Dashcam is a Vantrue N4 and has a USB "C" connection so hopefully I won't have an issue using a small 12v to USB "C" converter along with a quality cable.
MichaelCahill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that there is a software update available, TrafficProvider.xml. Release notes state "Performance improvement for some locations"

Perhaps Garmin have increased the number of providers on Smartlink to compensate for the loss of Digital Traffic reception in the UK?
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MichaelCahill wrote:
I notice that there is a software update available, TrafficProvider.xml. Release notes state "Performance improvement for some locations"

Perhaps Garmin have increased the number of providers on Smartlink to compensate for the loss of Digital Traffic reception in the UK?

Smartlink providers don't appear in TraficProvider.xml. Only Digital (DAB) and TMC (FM) providers appear in TraficProvider.xml. The Smartlink providers are contained within the phone app, so an updated phone app would be needed for additional Smartlink providers.

Prior to this update, for the UK, the TraficProvider.xml has Inrix and Trafficmaster as TMC (FM) providers and Inrix as the only Digital (DAB) provider.

Edit:
This update simply removes the Digital (DAB) provider for the UK, leaving only the two TMC (FM) providers.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a quick test yesterday and my phone connected to both the car, for STA, and the Garmin for traffic.

See how it goes but there is no other solution as TT are phasing out their units with the SIM and the latest 2021 units all need a smartphone for traffic.

Roll on a car change later this year with Android Auto.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, so far so good .....

I tested Smartlink, or Smartphone Link as they now call it, on my 2599 a few months ago and it wasn't up to par.

However, having used it in anger this morning it correctly showed the M4 roadworks almost identical to what Inrix via the TA cable did.

It wouldn't surprise me if Garmin still use Inrix but now via your phone.

The only difference I noted was that I had an almost permanent "On Fastest Route" display that only previously appeared briefly.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snag, Smartphone link is eating the battery.

I've changed 'Location' permission from allow all the time to only when the app is active and the traffic still comes in OK.

I'll see how that reduces the drain.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, battery drain solved by changing Location Permission from Always to Only when Active.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
Be aware that many dashcams need at least 1.5A, some 2A, and many fag lighter USB plugs don't supply that amperage.

I checked the current draw of a Nextbase 512GW, using my Brymen BM235 recording DMM.

Peak current was 315mA (possibly charging the super-capacitor in the Nextbase) - the average was approx. 52mA.

Quote:
Plus the USB cable AWG rating needs to be suitable.
One poster on Dashcamtalk had a freezing dashcam until he changed his USB cable from 22 to 26 AWG.

(I assume that's a mis-quote, as 22AWG is thicker than 26AWG - though, not being American, I'm not overly familiar with this standard.)

Even assuming (the thinner) 26AWG, 315mA should only drop 244mV over a 10' length. (According to: https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/wire/voltage-drop-calculator.html).

There are however, many and various 12V car adaptors on the market. I shouldn't imagine many (if any) implement Garmin's 'ID resistor' based scheme and I'd be surprised if many implement the official 'USB Battery Charging Specification'.

Caveat emptor and all that!...
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks P

There is a dedicated area on Dashcamtalk where Nextbase support operate. All the latest series 2 dashcams still have lithium batteries that Nextbase are receiving support posts about as they seem to have a short lifespan compared to caps.

It seems from the posts that their dashcams, especially the 522 for some reason , eat batteries in about 18 months for a lot of owners.

I also read regular posts where usb sockets and/or usb cables are replaced after advice and getting better quality with a higher max amperage solves problems, especially freezing.

It's like here where by regular visits you pick up useful info and tips and problems and solutions from others.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh the batteries are rubbish in my 522GW has to be permanently connected to power even if wish to transfer a couple of files.

As for Garmin I no longer use mine and just use the TomTom app via Android Auto (found way to enable feature on my car and it works a dream). I also take my Go6200 as backup just incase
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping to change my car in the next few months and it will have Android Auto.

That will give me another method to test to see if I can avoid wiring in my DS61.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
INTRANET
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did read whole thread and still not clear what is diff between SmartLink and Drive app? I'm using Drive app with DS65 MT-D.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: