Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Screen on
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Screen on

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gym
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Screen on Reply with quote

For obvious reasons, I haven't used SA recently, in fact, I think it was last October. We had to sit on the drive for a while before setting off for a long weekend in Dorset: MiFi setup for my Golf's SatNav, BluTooth earphone on and in my right ear, mobile phone plugged into power, wifi on, SA on...
Then, silence. On the way back, I tried all 3 options for screen settings but only having the screen on all of the time got it to make announcements. Is this the only way or am I missing something?
Thanks.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe check that the app is allowed to 'run in the background'. This can usually be one by going into your 'app drawer' and then tap and hold the app. Then you should have an option for 'app settings' or 'app info' - in that screen there should be a setting for battery use (or similar) with an option of 'always allow'

MaFt
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You twice mention SA. If that is Speedtrap Alert we've found that the location permission needs to be set to 'always allow' or it won't run in the background, it goes to sleep.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Gym
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
You twice mention SA. If that is Speedtrap Alert we've found that the location permission needs to be set to 'always allow' or it won't run in the background, it goes to sleep.

Yes, I was referring to Speedtrap Alert.
I've just gone in and changed the location from when using the app to always. I'll test it when I go out on Friday.
Many thanks both.
Gym
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gym wrote:
Kremmen wrote:

Yes, I was referring to Speedtrap Alert.
I've just gone in and changed the location from when using the app to always. I'll test it when I go out on Friday.
Many thanks both.

As promised, tried this morning, without success.
I've found yet another setting to try though (Samsung S10+ on Android 11):
In "Battery and device care" within "Background usage limits" settings for "Sleep". I've added SA to the "Never sleeping apps" section.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running STA on a Galaxy S10 without issue now.

Yes, those various sleep settings are a pain.

Just looked at my Never sleeping apps under Battery and STA isn't in there. However, under Memory, it is there as an Excluded app.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Gym
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
I'm running STA on a Galaxy S10 without issue now.

Yes, those various sleep settings are a pain.

Just looked at my Never sleeping apps under Battery and STA isn't in there. However, under Memory, it is there as an Excluded app.

Confused Oh, maybe there's something else then. I'll keep trying.
Gym
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success! (I think)

Tried it out this morning and I'm now getting alerts after the screen has timed out and gone off.
I noticed when I picked the 'phone up (and it woke up) that the app hadn't been tracking me, zooming to my position just after the screen came on. I had it set to map to try to find out why it wasn't announcing the notifications but I've now set it just to speedometer and I'll test it again.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the speedo display so initially I had no problem.

I wanted to know if I could run it in the background with Google Maps navigation in the foreground.

What I did as my test was to just allow the app to auto launch when it detected the phone to car bluetooth connection.

It did auto launch but went to sleep a few minutes later.

Leo got me to check that 'allow location always' and I get voice alerts without issue via bluetooth via the car audio system.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Gym
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can put the PGPSW cameras on my VW Golf (despite them removing the facility to do so), although I have toyed with the idea of using Android Auto. AA won't display in the dash though, only on the main screen so I've stuck with the VW SatNav plus Speedtrap Alert via an earpiece so as not to bother my wife (although she does mimic the warning sounds sometimes) and interrupt the music/SatNav.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gym wrote:
Success! (I think)

Tried it out this morning and I'm now getting alerts after the screen has timed out and gone off.
I noticed when I picked the 'phone up (and it woke up) that the app hadn't been tracking me, zooming to my position just after the screen came on. I had it set to map to try to find out why it wasn't announcing the notifications but I've now set it just to speedometer and I'll test it again.

By the way, do you have the paid-for version? As background alerts are disabled in the free version.
Gym
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Gym wrote:
Success! (I think)

By the way, do you have the paid-for version? As background alerts are disabled in the free version.

How very dare you! Grrrr Suggesting that I'd use software that I haven't paid for! Wink
No, I bought it when I joined the "CameraAlert Stopped Working" club of Samsung owners and I thank you and everyone who's been involved in it's creation and development.

An update - I used it set to speedometer this morning and again a success.
So now, using my Golf's SatNav, with the cameras as POIs, plus Speedtrap Alert running on my 'phone, I've got what I used to have (and still keep updated as backup) on my Garmin PND!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Android All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: