Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Has MyDrive REALLY been hacked?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Has MyDrive REALLY been hacked?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Has MyDrive REALLY been hacked? Reply with quote

Possibly so.
Read this & make up your own mind:- https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1109434/unknown-satnav-support-website-scam/p3
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The poster's computer was hacked but My Drive was not the culprit. If it were, everyone using My Drive would have the same issue. And they're not.
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More likely I agree BUT it did seem to happen only when he was logged on to MyDrive?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MyDrive accesses a specific port on the TomTom rather than being a sensible, standard USB connection. Could easily have been that the malware simply 'redirected' that port to send a message to the dodgy site who then 'took over'.

So I doubt it is MyDrive that has been hacked, but malware on their machine that is targeting MyDrive due to the stupid way that TomTom decided to use... In a nutshell the SatNav is operating as a webserver that the MyDrive software connects to - as such, fairly easy to redirect those requests...

MaFt
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for trying to explain it to a non-techie like me MaFt.
May just be Trump-type "fake news" but better to be aware of the possibility just in case!
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are still those who persist in using, often free, substandard PC protection and wonder why cyber issues occur.

I got a 2 year 10 device Norton licence for ~£25 from an offer in ComputerActive magazine. Still in there in the last edition.

I've been using Norton since the millennium without issue. I'm also running Ublock Origin, Privacy Badger and a periodic scan with Malwarebytes free. My Asus router also reports blocking of some inbound traffic but no idea what traffic.

What price safety.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justbrowsing wrote:
May just be Trump-type "fake news" but better to be aware of the possibility just in case!

I don't think it's "fake news" as such, just a possible misunderstanding by the author. As opposed to actively wanting to spread lies. Very Happy

But yeah, I get what you mean!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
There are still those who persist in using, often free, substandard PC protection and wonder why cyber issues occur.

I got a 2 year 10 device Norton licence for ~£25 from an offer in ComputerActive magazine. Still in there in the last edition.

I've been using Norton since the millennium without issue. I'm also running Ublock Origin, Privacy Badger and a periodic scan with Malwarebytes free. My Asus router also reports blocking of some inbound traffic but no idea what traffic.

What price safety.

I went off Norton many moons ago when it became bloatware and a massive system hog. Sadly virtually all the major antivirus are going that way (Avira used to be a great, simple one that just worked but that's become bloatware now Norton bought it).

Personal preference is ESET NOD32.

I think some of the issue for people not using antivirus and anti malware software is mainly Microsoft telling them that Windows 10 is secure and has malware protection built in - which it does, just not very well...! Also, decent things cost money and from my experience doing IT stuff for a wide range of people, they simply don't want to spend money!
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
justbrowsing wrote:

I don't think it's "fake news" as such, just a possible misunderstanding by the author. As opposed to actively wanting to spread lies. Very Happy

But yeah, I get what you mean!

Sadly (and typically, with total indifference), TT/admin there haven't even bothered to acknowledge or respond to him. Mad
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Kremmen wrote:

What price safety.

I went off Norton many moons ago when it became bloatware and a massive system hog. Sadly virtually all the major antivirus are going that way (Avira used to be a great, simple one that just worked but that's become bloatware now Norton bought it).

Personal preference is ESET NOD32.

I think some of the issue for people not using antivirus and anti malware software is mainly Microsoft telling them that Windows 10 is secure and has malware protection built in - which it does, just not very well...! Also, decent things cost money and from my experience doing IT stuff for a wide range of people, they simply don't want to spend money!

Norton had to be totally re-written because the old source code got distributed.

Some nice person in the Symantec India office tried to make a few bob on the side no doubt. That info was from my daughter who worked in Symantec office in Reading at the time so semi-inside info.

No major problem because a rewrite exercise was underway at the time anyway.

That was about a decade ago and since then it's been quite slick.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
jackbarry
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Antivirus - Norton Reply with quote

Agree totally about Norton; been using it for over 15 years now. jack

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: