Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SOUND FILE ALERT ON GARMIN DRIVESMART 65 WITH ALEXA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SOUND FILE ALERT ON GARMIN DRIVESMART 65 WITH ALEXA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragon01
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: SOUND FILE ALERT ON GARMIN DRIVESMART 65 WITH ALEXA Reply with quote

I have been using the alert downloads with voice from this site for over 10 years on a TomTom unit with no problems. I have just changed to a Garmin Drivesmart 65. I have downloaded the correct version of the database ( Garmin for garmin poi loader consolidated version with the voice tags in MP3 format) The database has been downloaded to the unit and the icons show on the map at the correct locations but they give an audible beep signal rather than a male speech message of the speed attached to the camera. I have checked the settings on the satnav and they are set as follows. (Under volume 'Sounds' Alerts & Tones Enabled. I have both Garmin and this sites Camera Alerts enabled and they both seem to come up with Icons and beep tones but no voice from either. I have read somewhere that even the Garmin Safety Alerts can be set to give voice alerts but not sure if this was a Garmin UK site. Any help to solve this voice problem would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to know if the garmin waring tone for approaching a 30mph camera zone rather than an actual camera can be edited so just that speed limit beep can be removed and just the info shown on the screen. I drive a great deal in towns where the 30mph zones are shown and the continual beep is distracting as it is similar to the actual speed cameras.
dragon01
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Posted in wrong forum Reply with quote

I noticed after posting this message that there is a forum dedicated to Garmin problems. I have reposted the message to that forum. I don't use the forums very often so don't know if its possible to delete the original entry.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dragon,
I suspect that you need to choose the voice files in WAV format (rather than MP3) for your Garmin.
You will also need to download sox.exe (use the search box on this site for it) and put it in the folder where Garmin's PoiLoader.exe resides. Perhaps C...ProgramFiles (x86)...Garmin...PoiLoader. (Without it, Garmin PoiLoader cannot process the sound files).
If you are getting unwanted beeps from the Garmin "Cyclops" built-in warnings, then I would simply delete them. The PGPSW database is far superior. Plug your Garmin into your computer, navigate to the POI folder, and delete (or copy elsewhere) the Cyclops files therein.

Dales
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my 'spoon feed' tutorial, note the requirement for SOX.EXE

https://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=97158

or you may want further customisation:

https://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=91951
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: