Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Wow, things have changed!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Wow, things have changed!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wacjac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Wow, things have changed!! Reply with quote

Hi folks, it's been many years since I've had to consider a new TomTom - I've been using a OneXL for as long as I can remember now. I've always paid the annual PocketGPS camera subscription and updated the cameras every few weeks, although my mapping is reasonably out of date now it has not really affected me too much.

I'm absolutely no expert here and could do with your advice/opinions please. I'm looking to spend no more than £140 on a new TT and my wishlist is as follows (anything I don't mention I really don't need or am bothered about).

1) Am I correct in thinking that typically the Go Basic 5" (or 6") cannot now be speed camera updated by just dragging the ov2 files into the folders in windows explorer as I've done for years. Have TT closed this loop up now and you have to use their PC software (Home or MyDrive)? I would therefore have no need to subscribe to PocketGPS, which is a shame??!!

2) If above is correct, could I just update by paying the monthly £2.99 directly from TT whenever I feel like updating the cameras then cancel the DD? Will the cameras remain on the TT?

3) Can I assume that I can save GPX files (via TT software) onto the new devices? I'm about to drive the NC500 and want to use the TT. I already have a GPX file for it.

4) Not bothered by EU mapping - just need UK.

Can't think of anything else really - bound to afterwards though !!

I'm looking right now at just the 5" or 6" Go Basic or even the Start52

Cheers chaps.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recent Tomtoms cannot load any third party cameras. The last one that could was the Via 135.

I'd also scour the Tomtom community forum concerning owners who have bought replacement units, namely the Go Premium as they aren't happy with them in comparison, sluggish and reduced functionality, traffic dropping out and other connection issues.

Also, the traffic is only available for 5 years from first connection, or, if 2G is turned off. In both cases they advise also switching to traffic via your smartphone.

I've been keeping up to date on the TT forum because Garmin are switching from their digital traffic to smartphone connected traffic, from a different supplier, so I'm investigating TT.

So far I'm put off TT by owner issues even though complaints and issues always dominate posts.

With regard to PGPSW cameras, I use Speedtrap Alert on my phone but also load PGPSW onto my Garmin DS 61 as a backup.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
wacjac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that great reply Kremmen. I have indeed now read a lot of bad reports on the 'Go' variants..... as well as connectivity issues I'm kind of gobsmacked that you can't even change the map style/colour! Thanks for the heads-up.
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always google for various gps url forums whereby you can still use these great old and far more reliable units with all the very latest maps/speed cams etc (for free) although we couldn't possibly endorse or support this kind of behaviour here Wink
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current TT is the Via 135. Reading above - is that right if I upgrade to something newer (TT) then I will not be able to use PGPSW camera data base any more? What would be my options to stay with PGPSW on newer satnavs?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin, but next year they are discontinuing digital traffic and forcing their Smartlink traffic, which from a months side by side testing isn't as good.

I use my phone for PGPSW alerts now via Speedtrap Alert as CA no longer works on Samsung S10 or Android 11 according to posts.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
Garmin, but next year they are discontinuing digital traffic and forcing their Smartlink traffic, which from a months side by side testing isn't as good.

I use my phone for PGPSW alerts now via Speedtrap Alert as CA no longer works on Samsung S10 or Android 11 according to posts.

CA? Do you mean Camera Alert app? I have that although never really use it. Seems like that would be the sensible option alongside BMW Pro Nav IF the 135 breaks or we get to the stage they stop supporting it. Thank you any way.
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hectorsgaf wrote:
My current TT is the Via 135. Reading above - is that right if I upgrade to something newer (TT) then I will not be able to use PGPSW camera data base any more? What would be my options to stay with PGPSW on newer satnavs?

"If it ain't broke.....!"you finish the sentence (and see post above yours whereby you can still get latest maps etc even if your device is deemed End-of-Life)
Who says newer is better as certainly with TT's that just ain't true!

Also from not-so-leafy Surrey!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pity you haven’t said why you are looking at replacing your OneXL. If it’s still working, I promise you the only improvement you’ll get with a newer TomTom is bigger screen. Except for that, there’s not a single one you can buy from TT that can stand alongside it.

I have a GO Premium and it’s slow - I switch it on by having it on its powered mount and switch on my ignition. Fine (most days, but sometimes it reboots itself). Then plan a route - I sometimes think I could do that quicker with an atlas myself! The planning process is awful, I can’t add a house number when postcode gets me the correct street - AN12CD is as close as it gets, offers Thing Street Anytown. Instead of postcode, I have to type the address, 14 Thing Street Anytown. That example requires 20 finger pokes at the keyboard, instead of 10 using postcode. Even the keyboard is poor - doesn’t have numbers on the same board as the letters, have to switch between numbers and letters! That’s just an indication of how bad it is. I could go on for a long time, but I’ve got better things to do with my life.

If your OneXL is still alive, get on your knees and offer up thanks.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: