Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Half a map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Half a map

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nibor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Half a map Reply with quote

After app update and downloading Map only some locations can be navigated to but other can't map view looks like only part of the UK is populated De and re many times Android Oneplus 6T mite just buy a stand alone device as these APPs are unreliable?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UK is devided into several maps.

Have you downloaded ALL of the "Ferry Conections Europe", i.e.: Artic; Europe; and Mediterranean? On the iOS app, you need all Ferry Conections Europe in order to navigate to parts of the UK.

If that doesn't work:

Try deleting one map and then reloading it, and do the same for each of the other maps in turn.

If that doesn't work, try deleting the app adn then reloading all of the UK Maps.

Make sure that you backup your phone first.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
nibor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes thank you! downloaded UK map in fragments But Why make so difficult in this day and age?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nibor wrote:
Yes thank you! downloaded UK map in fragments

Glad it worked! Thumbs Up

nibor wrote:
But Why make so difficult in this day and age?

Don't know about Android, but on the iPhone app you can sometimes download several map sections at once - but it can cause corupted maps so it's best (albeit slower) to download one map section at a time.

As for why TomTom has done this, well on the iPhone the last version of the orginal Navigation app was v1.29 (around late 2015). The newer (less improved and feature lacking) TomTom iOS GO Mobile v1.0.2 was released 11 Feburary 2016. The new TomTom iOS GO Mobile was made to look like it had the newer PND GUI.

In the iOS oldder app, the maps are an interegeral part of the app, so when a new map was released the whole app had to be released.

The newer GO Mobile has separate maps from the app, allowing you to download just the maps that you need and as and when they change. This is very good as the maps now contain 3D building, which in my opinion are useless, and the maps are therefore much larger in staorage size.

The above is for iPhone, but it is probably the same for Android.

Regards.
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
The above is for iPhone, but it is probably the same for Android.

Regards.

Privateer, could you please deconfuse me? What have I got?

I recently decided to get a subscription to my TomTom GO on iPhone 11 Pro Max, after all, for just a few £s it was not much to lose if it turns out to be rubbish. I only did it to maybe navigate when I hire a car on holiday in Greece, because I generally find navigation on iPhone not to my liking (I have built in TomTom plus a GO6200 for proper nav).

But your above talk about version numbers and maps has me confused. Mine says App version 2.3 and map version 15464 - I assume/believe it's Europe map (it certainly finds places in Europe if I look). It's a long long time since I first got the app, so I cannot recall what map/s I got at the time.
The screen showing the title Maps has a little circle filled red and the number 8, which I guessed means 8 updates (or something) available, but when I tap it, it merely shows Ferry connections Europe, Great Britain and Ireland and Greece.
When I tap the Add button, it lists Africa, Asia, Europe, India, North America, Oceania and South America.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis,

DennisN wrote:
I recently decided to get a subscription to my TomTom GO on iPhone 11 Pro Max, after all, for just a few £s it was not much to lose if it turns out to be rubbish. I only did it to maybe navigate when I hire a car on holiday in Greece, because I generally find navigation on iPhone not to my liking (I have built in TomTom plus a GO6200 for proper nav).

That's a good idea, the app is free BUT you do need a current subscription to run it. However, for £12.99 you get a year's use plus Traffic (we won't mention the inferior camera database though Wink ). The TomTom iOS app is similar in appearance to the current PNDs so is easy to use and will possible share My Places via My Drive. So for a holiday SatNav it is OK. Saying that the iOS app is my primary SatNav.

TomTom app
This was the original TomTom iOS app and is sometimes referred to as the legacy app. This app contained the maps within the app, so every time the map was released a new version of the app had to be released as well. The last version was v1.29 and up until then you could load custom POIs via programs such as iMazing.

TomTom iOS GO Mobile versions 1.x.x
This was the replacement for the original TomTom app. Version 1.0.2 was released on 11 February 2016. Its GUI looked like the current range of PNDs. It had much-reduced feature when compared with the original TomTom app and you couldn't load your own custom POIs.

TomTom GO Navigation iOS versions 2.x.x
Notice the subtle change of name. It heralds the change from version 1 to version two. Version 2.0 was released on 3 June 2019. Not really much of a difference but the free 50 km per day use was removed so you need a subscription to use version 2.x.x. The current version is 2.3, which was released on 25 July 2020, and is 208.1 MB in size.

Looking at my maps, they appear to be version 15464 as well. I don't know how that equates to the traditional TomTom map numbering of v995.8547.

Yes, the red circle with white number on the maps icon indicates that the app has found that there are some updates, i.e. 8 map updates in your case.

Your £12.99 anual subscription allows you to install any/all maps available to you and you're only limited by the amount of storage space that your iPhone has, so yes you can tap the Add button to install maps from Africa, Asia, Europe, India, North America, Oceania and South America.

Don't forget that most countries are split into areas, so if you want a whole country in your TomTom app then you need to download all sections. Also, download one section at a time to ensure that no maps are corrupted. You should be able to download mutilple maps at a time without a problem but it can sometimes go wrong so be warned.

TomTom released new map updates for the iOS app quite regularly, e.g. once a month or so. But Don't get excited these are just add-ons for new speed limits etc and are small (compared to the full size of the maps). New whole mas that include road changes are normally once a quarter.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: