Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 170,000 Caught In 2018
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

170,000 Caught In 2018

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: 170,000 Caught In 2018 Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Source

Get Speed Camera Warnings For SatNavs
Get Speed Camera Warnings For iOS (iPhone and iPad)
Get Speed Camera Warnings For Android (phones and tablets)

Almost 170,000 drivers were caught speeding across Avon and Somerset last year.

The 2018 figures, recently released by the Home Office, reveal that out of 169,543 people who received Fixed Penalty Notices, 73,532 attended a speed awareness course and 19,239 motorists ended up in court.

There were also 21,720 tickets that were cancelled. Examples of why tickets are cancelled include if the ticket arrives late, the details of the offence were incorrect or if the recipient wasn’t actually driving.

A spokesman for the road safety charity IAM RoadSmart, said: "The vast majority of speeding offences are detected remotely by speed cameras which have continued to grow in numbers despite the removal of central government funding in England. Speed compliance surveys show that speeds are slowly coming down in general but huge numbers still ignore the limit in 30mph areas, on motorways and in 20mph zones."

He added: "We support the ability of drivers to appeal but we are worried that many offences get cancelled because drivers are untraceable. We are hopeful that whichever way Brexit goes it will still be possible to trace overseas drivers and share information internationally."

Home Office Figures...

Fixed Penalty Notices Issued:
2011 - 41,132
2012 - 96,163
2013 - 89,253
2014 - 112,258
2015 - 121,934
2016 - 192,508
2017 - 208,588
2018 - 169,543

Fixed Penalty Notices Cancelled:
2011 - 10,563
2012 - 16,461
2013 - 16,127
2014 - 10,831
2015 - 7,008
2016 - 32,820
2017 - 31,926
2018 - 21,720
email icon

Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 170,000 Caught In 2018 Reply with quote

News Team wrote:
There were also 21,720 tickets that were cancelled. Examples of why tickets are cancelled include if the ticket arrives late, the details of the offence were incorrect or if the recipient wasn’t actually driving.

I thought that in the case of speeding, the recipient of the ticket was the registered keeper, who is not necessarily the legal owner, of the vehicle. I also thought that if the registered keeper wasn't the driver at the time that the offence occurred then the registered keeper had to prove exactly who the driver was, else the registered keeper got the ticket, fine, and points etc.

News Team wrote:
He added: "We support the ability of drivers to appeal but we are worried that many offences get cancelled because drivers are untraceable.

Again, surely it's the registered keeper that should be traceable? Any vehicle that has no traceable keeper should immediately have a marker applied to it for all UK police forces to stop it, and if necessary seize it. This in itself would surely help to clear up the initial speeding offence and possibly other crimes as well?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 170,000 Caught In 2018 Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:

I thought that in the case of speeding, the recipient of the ticket was the registered keeper, who is not necessarily the legal owner, of the vehicle. I also thought that if the registered keeper wasn't the driver at the time that the offence occurred then the registered keeper had to prove exactly who the driver was, else the registered keeper got the ticket, fine, and points etc.

If you are the registered keeper, it is your responsibility to inform the constabulary who the driver was at the time of the (alleged) offence. In my case last year, it went to the lease company first, then my Wife as she was the reponsible person, then me as the driver. There was no requirement to prove who the driver was, merely write a name down. Luckily, mine was cancelled Smile

I believe there is a £1000 fine for failure to declare the driver.
b33jay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 170,000 Caught In 2018 Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:

Again, surely it's the registered keeper that should be traceable? Any vehicle that has no traceable keeper should immediately have a marker applied to it for all UK police forces to stop it, and if necessary seize it. This in itself would surely help to clear up the initial speeding offence and possibly other crimes as well?

Regards,

If the RK doesn't name himself or another driver the offence is "failing to furnish" which carries a much bigger penalty.

If a vehicle registration does not appear on the DVLA/PNC database (i.e. no traceable keeper) it will ping up as such on police ANPR cameras and will certainly be stopped and seized.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: