Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MAZDA 6 2016 Speed Cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MAZDA 6 2016 Speed Cameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wezy1967
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: MAZDA 6 2016 Speed Cameras Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to replace the Mazda Speed Camera files on the MZD Connect SD Card.

There are two file extensions for the UK:
United Kingdom.spc.sgn (70KB)
and
United Kingdom.spc (1KB)

Apparantly a navigation update provider called Naviextras.com provide the Mazda (and others built in updates).

I can't seem to find anywhere the allows me to download a compatable database. There are no clues on the SD card as to the navigation provider i do know that Mazda moved away from TomTom a few years ago but i dont know who to.

Hoping some can help as updating speedcamera database a few times a year isn't good.

Thanks

Jonathan
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: MAZDA 6 2016 Speed Cameras Reply with quote

wezy1967 wrote:
i do know that Mazda moved away from TomTom a few years ago but i dont know who to.

Are you sure? I have a Sept 2015 model Mazda 6 and dealership told me it was TomTom software.
wezy1967
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: MAZDA 6 2016 Speed Cameras Reply with quote

topref wrote:
wezy1967 wrote:
i do know that Mazda moved away from TomTom a few years ago but i dont know who to.

Are you sure? I have a Sept 2015 model Mazda 6 and dealership told me it was TomTom software.

I'm pretty sure as none of the files on the SD card are OV2 and it uses the website Naviextras not TomTom. Maybe they changed in late 2015.

Seems like Mazda have got the nav system locked down ?
vulcanben
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: MAZDA 6 2016 Speed Cameras Reply with quote

wezy1967 wrote:
Does anyone know how to replace the Mazda Speed Camera files on the MZD Connect SD Card.
There are two file extensions for the UK:
United Kingdom.spc.sgn (70KB)
and United Kingdom.spc (1KB)
Apparantly a navigation update provider called Naviextras.com provide the Mazda (and others built in updates).
I can't seem to find anywhere the allows me to download a compatable database. There are no clues on the SD card as to the navigation provider i do know that Mazda moved away from TomTom a few years ago but i dont know who to.
Hoping some can help as updating speedcamera database a few times a year isn't good.Thanks
Jonathan

Yes there is a way but because Mazda have it locked down you need a tweak to unlock your system, look at the thread called Mazda 3 2014 Model here on pocket GPS factory fit.

It refers to a Mazda 3 forum where they have an AIO (all in One solution) you can load on a USB which does 20 or more modifications to your system. You get to choose what you change. Warning some of the people using this have crashed their systems and locked themselves out.
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-2016-mazda-3-skyactiv-audio-electronics/122458-aio-all-one-tweaks.html
topref
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told in no uncertain terms NOT to do anything to the software as it would affect the vehicle's warranty.
tcs17_tim
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just changed to a Mazda MX5 and am disappointe with the camera coverage of the built in unit (in comparison to the previous MX5 that had TomTom with pocketGPS).

Is there really no way of converting the database to the spc file?

Ive tried opening it in notepad and it is full of chinese symbols but I guess that is some form of encryption....
vir246
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to take a read of https://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=94157&start=30

TDLR: there was a way of converting the database, but it got removed from the internet because the sat nav manufacturers didn't like it. Also if your MX-5 is brand new it's unlikely the database conversion would work because it doesn't work with newer firmwares which are locked down (unless you want to take the dashboard apart anyway).

If I get it working I'll let you know but it seems the tools have vanished. The static cameras included by Mazda are very good, but the lack of mobile sites is troublesome.
tcs17_tim
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks but when you say they are very good, they certainly aren't 100%. In my area ( in Kent) they have some permanent installs but then not the next one a couple of miles down the road.

Yes mine is nearly new and whilst I haven't checked the firmware version to see if I can install the firmware from that website I don't want to about with the firmware until the warranty runs out. Creating an spc file from the pocket gps database should be achievable for a software wizard though.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any car headunit isn't configured to allow POi's with advance warning (proximity alerts) then it's best to not try and force it and find an alternative solution.

1) Standalone Garmin
2) CamerAlert on a smartphone, preferably linked via BT to make use of the car system
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Spikeyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Mazda 6 2019 model has outdated speed camera database even though it can be updated using my Mazda toolbox its fiddly though. There are no options to select which updates you get, it goes off the VIN number to update the maps etc and supposedly the camera database but I don't think it's credible enough to relay on. Certainly not something I would trust. I continue to use Garmin and PGPS for now.

If anyone knows anything different, please share, thanks
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use my Garmin as my main PGPSW device but I've been using my Android phone linked to my headunit via BT for ages now.

It's better IMO because:

a) It plays through the car system so is clearer. Mine mutes the audio, issues the warning, then returns the audio

b) It's directional

c) You're not fiddling with the built in unit

Plenety of existing threads with tips.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Spikeyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good suggestion although I use the garmin also as a dash cam. Obviously there are drawbacks, it has to sit on top of the dash but I have not found a good phone mount yet that doesn't block the screen, I like a clear screen and as much visibility as possible.

Do you use the cam alert app connected to the radio headset?

I keep researching one day something will come up 👆
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My phone is paired to my Honda headunit as a normal HFT connection.

All you need to do from that is set CA to play through 'bluetooth headset' and for me there's nothing else to do other than to possibly tweak the volume on first usage.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: