Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Go basic 5" no custom POI
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Go basic 5" no custom POI
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cygnusx04
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: TomTom Go basic 5" no custom POI Reply with quote

Hi

My Dad's trusty XXL one needed replacing due to the WNRO mess.

I opted to get him the TomTom Go Basic 5". He's pretty happy with it, especially the ability to update over wifi. But sadly I had no idea that TomTom have dropped support for custom POI's on the newer models.
He missed having the PocketGPS speed cams telling him speed cams, the distance and the speed. Instead all he gets now is the default tomtom warnings of a fixed speed camera.

I believe he can get a refund within 14 days at Halfords and get the Garmin instead.

Can someone confirm that the Garmin Drive 51 LM 5" will allow him to put the pocket GPS speed cams on like he is used to?

thanks

David
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've answered this in your other post, but yes.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi cygnusx04

succumb and M8TJT have answered that you can have custom POIs on a Garmin Drive 51 LM 5" in your other thread "Garmin Drive 51 LM 5" custom POI", in the Garmin forum.

I've been a TomTom user since around 2003. I bought a Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D in 2017 because I wanted custom POIs on the screen.

As a TomTom user, I have found that I don't like Garmin PNDs as I find Garmin routing weird and Garmin traffic bad when compared to TomTom.

My advice would be to try the TomTom Go Basic 5" for a few more days before sending it back but in the meanwhile, you can use a smartphone (Android or iPhone) running CamerAlert for the PocketGPSWorld camera database.

Whilst you cannot show custom POIs on the screen you can at least navigate to custom POIs on a TomTom. You load the custom POIs via MyDrive and they should appear in your places. Sorry, I have the TomTom GO Navigation app on my iPhone so I can't give you any more help as I don't have a current TomTom PND.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
As a TomTom user, I have found that I don't like Garmin PNDs as I find Garmin routing weird and Garmin traffic bad when compared to TomTom.

Interesting, I don't have a TT but have been using Garmin traffic for many years. Admittedly in the early days it wasn't good but the latest digital traffic appears excellent. A few times I've ignored it only to find to my cost that was a mistake Rolling Eyes

I know some folks find Garmin routing 'weird' as you say, but for me it does an excellent job. Again I sometimes think 'why are you sending me that way' but on taking it I find it actually is a good route, even though if I'd looked at a map I might have chosen something different. Where Garmin routing does seem to struggle according to posts I've read are places where mainly the roads are narrow lanes (parts of Cornwall and Wales for example), but as I rarely travel there I can't comment.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sussamb,

I know that many people, yourself included, like the Garmin. Please don't get me wrong I like it too but I've run the Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D against the TomTom and have found that generally, the Inrix traffic data isn't as good as the TomTom data.

sussamb wrote:
Where Garmin routing does seem to struggle according to posts I've read are places where mainly the roads are narrow lanes (parts of Cornwall and Wales for example), but as I rarely travel there I can't comment.

I travel in Cornwall and Jersey (Channel Islands) a number of times each year and Wales every so often. You're right that Garmin does seem to have a problem with narrow roads. I think that this may be because the actual (i.e. historical) average speed data, rather than permitted speed limits of TomTom (IQ Routes) is much more complete/accurate than Garmin (trafficTrends).

That's why I bought a Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D so I could create a profile of a wide and long vehicle for navigating Cornwall's many narrow lanes and even with various (some even ridiculous) settings, the Garmin's routing had to be occasionally ignored.

It does depend on the places that you drive. I think that once you're aware of this buy a Garmin through Amazon and try it. You can then try it against the TomTom and keep which one you think is best and return the other one.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I choose Garmin is because I can see the cameras getting closer so I get an extra early warning before CamerAlert gives the unmissable verbal warning over the car system.

As for Garmin traffic, I've never had any issues with it, except for the time they had an outage late last year.

Some years ago there were complaints posted here that TT traffic had a limited range, so, if you were planning a long journey that had a few choices, like, using the M1 or M6 when travelling North or South you couldn't see any issues over 50? 100? miles away until after you'd made your route decision and too late.

I've plotted long journeys on the Garmin and got traffic for the whole route showing far away major road closures.

As for routing, I use the built in unit as, again, it issues the instructions over the car system so unmissable and I never follow SatNav routing to the letter anyway. If I'm travelling through strange territory I do some homework and mainly use it for the final few miles to get me to 'B'
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT may still have the 'Traffic Horizon', But I haven't heard any complaints recently either. There was a hell of a ruckus when they first did it.
Perhaps DennisN will pop up in a bit and tell us from the use of his three+ TTs.
cygnusx04
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replys and help guys. I use the cameraalert phone app on my phone, but my dad doesn't have a smart phone so no good to him.

I will get him to do a few more journeys with the TomTom and give him the choice of the Garmin if he wants to swap.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cygnusx04 wrote:
I use the cameraalert phone app on my phone, but my dad doesn't have a smart phone so no good to him.

You can buy a cheapish Android smartphone for around £20-40 at supermarkets which will run CamerAlert and if you don't run CamerAlert with maps (i.e. just lists) then you don't use data or even need to have a SIM installed. You can update CamerAlert via WiFi and if you do submit a new camera or an update you can wait until you're near a WiFi signal and send the updates to PGPSW.

cygnusx04 wrote:
I will get him to do a few more journeys with the TomTom and give him the choice of the Garmin if he wants to swap.

Please let us know what you and your dad decide on. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
TT may still have the 'Traffic Horizon', But I haven't heard any complaints recently either. There was a hell of a ruckus when they first did it.
Perhaps DennisN will pop up in a bit and tell us from the use of his three+ TTs.

Sorry, with the website problems I haven't been seeing stuff until now.

The TT traffic horizon is still there, perhaps about 100km, maybe 80 miles. For me, near Bristol, that means I can't see traffic in Birmingham or in London. Everybody has given up trying to tell TT they are dissatisfied with this, as it has been so long and TT have completely ignored it. Their attitude is that traffic problems will clear before you get there - they don't seem to have noticed that roads are often closed for investigation long after an accident has been cleared.

If I owned TT shares today, I wouldn't tomorrow. I just can't see a future for the company these days since they changed their ideas on what service to provide. They did get a stroke of luck, persuading the driving test to include following a specific TT satnav model, so I bet that gave them quite a few extra sales to driving schools and new drivers - let's face it, if you don't know what you're missing, you won't feel cheated. And some vehicle manufacturers have gone with their built in offerings, which are just as bad. It's such a shame - TT used to be the top dog and now they're down among the strays.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As this thread seems to have drifted to traffic, I'll post my findings of yesterday.

I drove from Peterborough to Bexhill. A1, A14, M11, M25, A21 and compared my Built in Honda (Garmin), my Garmin DS61 and Sygic (TT Traffic) on my phone and found that, for this trip, the Sygic (TT) traffic was more accurate in both where and for how long.

The Sygic version of TT traffic has no 'horizon' and showed traffic for the whole route and most everywhere I scrolled the map to.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand Garmin use Inrix over the aerial cable or viaMichelin over Smartlink .

TT also use Inrix but have added in data from Vodaphone users based on their mobile phones and when they appear to be stuck in traffic.

Just for info, the latest Which? magazine now has TT in all 10 top spots with no one else in sight. Wasn't that long ago Garmin had the top 4 or 5 spots.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess it depends who reviews what, this one has a mix https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/sat-nav/1405580/best-satnav-tomtom-garmin and autocar also put TT first with a Garmin second, but the TT is £100 or so more https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/64364/best-sat-navs-2019-group-test-review

Incidentally the quoted prices seem very high, I've never paid more than £150 for a satnav.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many reviewers simply pick up the sales blurb and re-word it.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Everybody has given up trying to tell TT they are dissatisfied with this, as it has been so long and TT have completely ignored it.

TomTom doesn't listen to us on this forum, on their own forum, nor does Harold Goddijn (TomTom CEO) when you email him directly. Rolling Eyes

DennisN wrote:
If I owned TT shares today, I wouldn't tomorrow. I just can't see a future for the company these days since they changed their ideas on what service to provide.

I understand that sentiment, but wouldn't it be interesting if a lot of TomTom shareholders attended the TomTom AGM and vote against the CEO?

TomTom forgets that a lot of its customers have bought and used TomTom products for over a decade, my first TomTom was TomTom Navigator 1.5 on a Compaq PDA in 2003, over 16 years ago! In that time TomTom has been innovative in adding functionality only to subsequently remove it from newer models, please see Andy_P's depressing What's been dropped in new models list and the additional things that people have added to the list in their replies.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: