Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS Week Number Rollover [WNRO]
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Week Number Rollover [WNRO]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

molerat wrote:
Have been playing this afternoon. Resorted to the old trick of deleting all the loose files in the root directory then connecting to home to get an update. Can't get my personalisations such as height, auto night and auto shut down on loss of power but it now seems to be functioning OK (indoors). Will have to take it out for another run.

Is your device still able to receive the correct time/date to stamp files?
If not then this could cause all sorts of peculiar issues.
molerat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to get height and auto night back on. Went out this morning and not working. Left turned on whilst in shops and still would not lock. Updated quickfix when I got home and no better. Removed height and auto night and it seems to lock on 3 sats. Clock starts on correct time then goes to 0:00 but GPS time is correct. All the files it changes seem to be timed stamped correctly. Sky has gone cloudy and only showing one sat with any sort of strength.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

molerat wrote:
Took my old One V3 out today on a 40 mile trip. Took quite a bit longer than usual to lock on but everything seemed fine including destination arrival time, re-routed quickly as I did not follow the advised route. Noticed that I did not have a full block of sat strength with a clear sky. On the way back I drove a couple of miles from the shut down point before I switched it back on. Took a while to lock on but fine then after about 10 miles it lost signal for a minute or two then locked on again but with only 2 bars. After about another 5 miles it lost signal again and stayed that way for the rest of the journey with clear blue cloudless sky. Sat outside my house for about 5 minutes but nothing. Put Quickfix on, something that I don't normally use, and will see how it goes tomorrow. Connected to the rollover problem ? Who knows.

Yes same, takes for ever to lock then looses it so easy. All the sats are being received but will not lock. I only use this unit with the speed cams from here.

TT not doing an update for these older units is not fair.
rwbaldwin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
molerat wrote:
Took my old One V3 out today on a 40 mile trip. Took quite a bit longer than usual to lock on but everything seemed fine including destination arrival time, re-routed quickly as I did not follow the advised route. Noticed that I did not have a full block of sat strength with a clear sky. On the way back I drove a couple of miles from the shut down point before I switched it back on. Took a while to lock on but fine then after about 10 miles it lost signal for a minute or two then locked on again but with only 2 bars. After about another 5 miles it lost signal again and stayed that way for the rest of the journey with clear blue cloudless sky. Sat outside my house for about 5 minutes but nothing. Put Quickfix on, something that I don't normally use, and will see how it goes tomorrow. Connected to the rollover problem ? Who knows.

Yes same, takes for ever to lock then looses it so easy. All the sats are being received but will not lock. I only use this unit with the speed cams from here.

I took my TomTom One V1 on a trip today and it was fine - Quick to lock with no signal loss. The difference is my V1 is SirfStarIII and your V3 is GlobalLocate.
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rwbaldwin wrote:
Pocketgps wrote:
molerat wrote:

I took my TomTom One V1 on a trip today and it was fine - Quick to lock with no signal loss. The difference is my V1 is SirfStarIII and your V3 is GlobalLocate.

The issue lies with older devices being unable to update the GPS almanac and ephemeris data from the GPS data stream.
Installing the latest QuickGPSfix will sort the problem as it supersedes/replaces the GPS almanac and ephemeris data until the data expires.
Unfortunately this will only work unit using SirfStarIII and has to be updated each week.
It works fine with all my GO x10 devices and might work for other models.
TomTom have been very unfair... I only received an e-mail from TomTom saying that map support was being withdrawn for the 910 model 12 days before the WNRO impacted the device.
I bet TomTom won't patch any legacy devices as it's pretty much killed of all the users of older legacy devices... and some will buy new featureless TomTom devices.
Fixes would cost TomTom money and loose them sales so it’s not in their interest unless forced.
Environmentally it’s also very wasteful as older devices will probably become landfill.
rwbaldwin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeLorean wrote:
The issue lies with older devices being unable to update the GPS almanac and ephemeris data from the GPS data stream.
Installing the latest QuickGPSfix will sort the problem as it supersedes/replaces the GPS almanac and ephemeris data until the data expires.
Unfortunately this will only work unit using SirfStarIII and has to be updated each week.
It works fine with all my GO x10 devices and might work for other models.
TomTom have been very unfair... I only received an e-mail from TomTom saying that map support was being withdrawn for the 910 model 12 days before the WNRO impacted the device.
I bet TomTom won't patch any legacy devices as it's pretty much killed of all the users of older legacy devices... and some will buy new featureless TomTom devices.
Fixes would cost TomTom money and loose them sales so it’s not in their interest unless forced.
Environmentally it’s also very wasteful as older devices will probably become landfill.

I haven't updated my One V1 this month and all is still OK.

My neighbour has a One V2 and he has no problems with a lock or acquiring satellites, but has a positional error of about 50 yards. He noticed that updating with QuickGPSFix doesn't seem to correct this, until he enters a new route. He switched off his TT when he got home. When he updated with QuickGPSFix he was 50 yards away. When he entered Navigate To Home the position jumped and he had reached his destination - all without moving.

As for TomTom ethics...
Even when they had subscribers with more than a year left, they wouldn't sell a one year subscription - that just stinks.
molerat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rwbaldwin wrote:

My neighbour has a One V2 and he has no problems with a lock or acquiring satellites, but has a positional error of about 50 yards. He noticed that updating with QuickGPSFix doesn't seem to correct this, until he enters a new route. He switched off his TT when he got home. When he updated with QuickGPSFix he was 50 yards away. When he entered Navigate To Home the position jumped and he had reached his destination - all without moving.
On my test bench - stuck to my south facing kitchen window - when I eventually get a lock on my V3 it shows me in the next road, about 100 feet away.
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

molerat wrote:
On my test bench - stuck to my south facing kitchen window - when I eventually get a lock on my V3 it shows me in the next road, about 100 feet away.

So move home, simples! Wink
molerat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justbrowsing wrote:
So move home, simples! Wink
Buying a Garmin was cheaper and easier Driving
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I wanted to retain as many of the useful features my 910 had I've just bought a GO 940 to replace it Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeLorean wrote:
As I wanted to retain as many of the useful features my 910 had I've just bought a GO 940 to replace it Very Happy

Where from? I ordered one a fortnight ago on Amazon and seller cancelled it because they felt the stock item (only one) had a dodgy battery. I didn't fancy the e-bay adverts.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I didn't fancy the e-bay adverts.

Why not, most times these oldies may have or could just have a dying battery or dodgy screen which is easily replaced. Software is easy to fix/update.
Also remember there's no difference (apart from internal memory size) between a 540/740/940
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't trust e-bay. I'm an elderly.

I don't do screwdriver stuff - I put up a set of shelves on the wall behind my computer and I daren't put anything on them!

MikeAlder replaced the battery for me in my 520/720/920 many years ago and I always have it plugged into ciggy thing in the van. The screen has lost calibration and I utterly failed to follow the instructions which somebody (you, maybe?) posted on the forum. Now the on/off switch is unreliable - I initially solved that by turning off the battery save feature of turn off when power off. But it had to be switched off at night and then took half an hour to switch on again most days. I haven't got one of those funny screwdriver thingies which fit the TT even if I felt willing to have a 'nothing ventured, nothing to lose' play with the switch.

Hey, guess what? You persuaded me to 'nothing ventured nothing to lose' and I undid it with a watch screwdriver and busted the plastic switch out and now I can switch it on and off dead easy with a poking thing. Hole in the top, but ho hum, I don't take it out in the rain! Thank you. Now it's back to life with v1025 UKROI map and I can work it with the remote control. So pah to e-bay!

justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on Dennis, you can't be that much older than many of us around here surely? I'm in the '48 club and can still hold a screwdriver and open up the back of an old & passed it TT device (subject to one of those illuminated magnifying screen thingies Wink

Like most things nowadays, magnification helps for sure Embarassed
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m more than 48 - I’m so old I can remember when Barnoldswick was in Yorkshire and was pronounced Barlick. And we were strictly admonished never to have anything to do with e-bay.

Even more to the point is my inability with tool things. Over 50 years ago I learned how to service my car - oil and filter change every 1,000 miles. I don’t even know where those things are now on my present vehicle!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: