Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS Week Number Rollover [WNRO]
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Week Number Rollover [WNRO]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
entwood
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: GPS Week Number Rollover [WNRO] Reply with quote

All 3 TT GO 700's ((M5) working perfectly on a 3 hour drive ...

OS 9.051 Europe_west 1025_9386 (my preferred version),
OS 9.541 Europe_west 1025_9386 (latest SE offering from here),
OS 7.903 Western_europe 660.1219 (original off the CD !!)

So no problems with the device at all, so far !! Having done the research I'll now be putting all three back to OS 9.051 Europe_west 1025_9386 as IMHO it's the one that works best, for me

There is a 95% chance that I won't be needing one of these anyhow, as I have changed the car to an Audi with a built in system , and it seems it can be kept up-to-date easily ...we wait and see.. Wife and kids will still use the Go 700's so you wont see the back of me ... yet ......

So it seems that it was all much of a Y2000 all over again .... nowt happened !!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I hope your built in system is better than mine. Very Happy
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2013 Alpine based built in Nav seems fine.

I fired it up yesterday and what I did notice is the linked dash clock flicked from 10:49 to 10:50 to 10:49 before settling down to the correct 10:50.

Maybe the firmware had something extra to do obtaining the correct time via a modified week number calculation..
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of my TomTom Go x10 units all seem happy with the WNRO.
The clocks are correct and files written to the storage have the correct date.
I've reset them and clicked sync and all looks good.
However I'm using boot loader v5.5229 which is not standard for this model range, so whether this has inadvertently fixed the bug as TomTom said my device would be affected is anyone’s guess?
I haven’t found anyone with a stock x10 device posting their experience WNRO yet.
My cheap Chinese WinCE based GPS appears to be the only device I have that's thrown a hissy fit over the date as it now time travels back to 1999 each time it acquires a signal.
Luckily the date can be manually set, but having the wrong date doesn’t affected its use anyhow as I mainly use it only as a GPS speedometer.
As long as your device adheres to ICD-200/IS-GPS-200 specifications it should be fine Smile
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Boot Loader 4.8600 and have had no WNRO problems thus far. Early days.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
I'm using Boot Loader 4.8600 and have had no WNRO problems thus far. Early days.

That's good news for older legacy TomTom device users. Smile
If TomTom could simply let users know if their devices are ICD-200/IS-GPS-200 compliant or how long until the WNRO offset is reached that would be helpful.
My Trumpion (generic Chinese WinCE device) has the glitch (23/08/1999) and TomTom Navigator always thinks the time is 12:00AM.
It plots routes normally and the journey time left is correct but your arrival time will be wrong as it’s always calculated from 12:00AM.
It’s not a major problem as it’s just a backup device and is primarily used as a GPS speedo which still works fine.
I'm pretty sure it's based on the old Navigo sy885 hardware, but being so old I doubt anyone will bother to hack the firmware or create any updated WinCE software to fix the issue.
rwbaldwin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TomTom One V1 is still working fine.

This is the 3rd epoch so this wasn't the first rollover. The 2nd epoch started on 21st Aug, 1999, so the recent rollover shouldn't have caught any company by surprise.
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rwbaldwin wrote:
My TomTom One V1 is still working fine.

This is the 3rd epoch so this wasn't the first rollover. The 2nd epoch started on 21st Aug, 1999, so the recent rollover shouldn't have caught any company by surprise.

3rd Epoch but only the 2nd rollover.
If software developers couldn't be bothered to update their code and still recorded the week number as a 10-bit field then the device is doomed.
Did TomTom consider that people would still be using their devices nearly 20 years after their release?
They may have just shifted the week count on older devices... although I hope not.
If TomTom simply shifted the week count; the last update for the x10 range was released in 2008 so you could potentially have 8(ish) more years from your old device.
If the device is IS-GPS-200 compliant then it’ll be fine as the rollover only happens every 157 years.
As the IS-GPS-200 standard was 1st ratified back in 2004 you'd hope most manufacturers would've implemented it asap?
https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=gpsTechnicalReferences
I purchased my Trumpion WinCE PND at the beginning of 2008 and this has circumed to the rollover, so later devices are still game.
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just some passing observations regarding my TomTom GO 910’s performance since the rollover.
After my first trip today I powered off my 910 off as usual.
On powering it up it again a little later it refused to obtain a decent signal (only grey bars).
Eventually I gave up and used my phone and left the TomTom in the car for an hour.
If finally obtained a reasonable signal but not a brilliant one.
I’ve also noticed the when a route has been calculated my 910 shows a route time of up to double the travel time that I’d usually expect?
On Facebook I’ve seen that lots of people having issues with their satnavs including loss of signal and dropouts... these problems also include newer models?
Has this rollover caused issues with devices that shouldn’t be affected?
molerat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took my old One V3 out today on a 40 mile trip. Took quite a bit longer than usual to lock on but everything seemed fine including destination arrival time, re-routed quickly as I did not follow the advised route. Noticed that I did not have a full block of sat strength with a clear sky. On the way back I drove a couple of miles from the shut down point before I switched it back on. Took a while to lock on but fine then after about 10 miles it lost signal for a minute or two then locked on again but with only 2 bars. After about another 5 miles it lost signal again and stayed that way for the rest of the journey with clear blue cloudless sky. Sat outside my house for about 5 minutes but nothing. Put Quickfix on, something that I don't normally use, and will see how it goes tomorrow. Connected to the rollover problem ? Who knows.
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

molerat wrote:
Took my old One V3 out today on a 40 mile trip. Took quite a bit longer than usual to lock on but everything seemed fine including destination arrival time, re-routed quickly as I did not follow the advised route. Noticed that I did not have a full block of sat strength with a clear sky. On the way back I drove a couple of miles from the shut down point before I switched it back on. Took a while to lock on but fine then after about 10 miles it lost signal for a minute or two then locked on again but with only 2 bars. After about another 5 miles it lost signal again and stayed that way for the rest of the journey with clear blue cloudless sky. Sat outside my house for about 5 minutes but nothing. Put Quickfix on, something that I don't normally use, and will see how it goes tomorrow. Connected to the rollover problem ? Who knows.

In a word, yup. That IS one of the problems (poor signal pickup) with this bloody WNRO
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the issues are all caused by the WNRO.
Here's a workaround that I've posted elsewhere Very Happy
Playing around with my GO 910s yesterday I stumbled on a now obvious fix for these devices.
The WNRO causes an issue with the X10 devices and they are unable to update the GPS almanac and ephemeris data.
This causes the GO x10 models to struggle when locking onto GPS satellites especially when your vehicle start moving as the device has to blind scan for satellites... pretty much making the device useless.
Using TomTom home and installing the latest QuickGPSfix will sort the problem as it supersedes/replaces the GPS almanac and ephemeris data until the data expires.
Unfortunately you'll need to regularly keep the QuickGPSfix up-to-date if you want to keep your x10 usable.
This workaround might work for other units... let me know.
molerat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest Quickfix applied but to no avail. Been out on a 10 mile journey this morning and nothing, parked for 10 minutes and not a thing out of it. The GPS status shows a row of 11 grey circles with 0 strength. It seems I now have a TT One shaped paper weight. Luckily my new shiny Garmin with life time maps is on its way to me. Both my son and son in law have Ones, will have to see how theirs fare.
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

molerat wrote:
Latest Quickfix applied but to no avail. Been out on a 10 mile journey this morning and nothing, parked for 10 minutes and not a thing out of it. The GPS status shows a row of 11 grey circles with 0 strength. It seems I now have a TT One shaped paper weight. Luckily my new shiny Garmin with life time maps is on its way to me. Both my son and son in law have Ones, will have to see how theirs fare.

That's a shame at it worked on all 3 of my GO 910's.
TomTom did themselves no favours by not ensuring the bug didn’t affect older devices as many have moved to Garmin.
molerat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been playing this afternoon. Resorted to the old trick of deleting all the loose files in the root directory then connecting to home to get an update. Can't get my personalisations such as height, auto night and auto shut down on loss of power but it now seems to be functioning OK (indoors). Will have to take it out for another run.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: