Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Issue Critical GPSY2K Update For Older Devices
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Issue Critical GPSY2K Update For Older Devices
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: TomTom Issue Critical GPSY2K Update For Older Devices Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Owners of older TomTom PNDs will be receiving emails this week with information on a one-time update to patch the GPSY2K date rollover bug.

More recent devices are not affected but in a move that wasn't expected, TomTom have issues a patch for older systems that are officially no longer supported. Many of these have not been supported for some years so credit to TomTom for releasing a patch.

If you haven't received an email you can check to see if your device is affected and if there is a patch available following the instructions here.

Source: support.tomtom.com

email icon

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Issue Critical GPSY2K Update For Older Devices Reply with quote

News Team wrote:

If you haven't received an email you can check to see if your device is affected and if there is a patch available following the instructions here

I'm afraid there are no instructions there

I didn't know it was a Y2K "bug" - everybody else is calling (and discussing) it under the name of WNRO - Week Number Roll Over. The TomTom "support" (sic) discussions forum is awash with users whose devices have been rather wiped out by the solution issued by TomTom

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps that's a deliberate ploy to make sure they never have to support them again.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... or buy new devices.

I wonder how older built in units will fare. My 2013 built in Alpine unit for example.

When is it, tomorrow ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom Issue Critical GPSY2K Update For Older Devices Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
News Team wrote:

If you haven't received an email you can check to see if your device is affected and if there is a patch available following the instructions here

I'm afraid there are no instructions there

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/updates/
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the offer of the FREE software to fix a bug that THEY coded into THEIR devices. Rolling Eyes
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When TomTom conveniently issued an e-mail a few weeks ago saying that they would no longer be map updates for the my GO 910's, the email stated "Your trusted device will still work perfectly but you will no longer be able to buy any further map update.".
Well they've not released a patch for this model yet and their website states "After 6 April 2019, your TomTom navigation device will be impacted."...so what happens now?
If TomTom think that I'm going to run out and buy another TomTom they're very much mistaken as there are free/cheap apps for Android that do a better job... and Garmin if you still require a dedicated device.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhat off topic. On this site, we are committed against piracy and always condemned anyone who fessed up to getting pirated TT maps. I guess our attitude towards that will change when TT no longer lose revenue by refusing to sell maps to older Nav2 models, whilst at the same time the pirates are able to get them to install?

Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not used or even powered up my old 950 Live for a year or two.

After 7th April 2019, I'll try and find it and its power lead and see whether GPSY2K/WNRO has had any noticeable effect on the 950 without applying the bug fix from TomTom. Very Happy
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Somewhat off topic. On this site, we are committed against piracy and always condemned anyone who fessed up to getting pirated TT maps. I guess our attitude towards that will change when TT no longer lose revenue by refusing to sell maps to older Nav2 models, whilst at the same time the pirates are able to get them to install?

Not quite true...
TomTom are still fully supporting the older Renault Carminat which is a Nav2 based device.
An update was only just released back in January of this year to fix the impending WNRO bug in the Carminat.
With a little bit of witchcraft the maps from the Carminat will happily work on other Nav2 models, so TomTom may still be concerned about piracy.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point now is that TomTom will happily support Nav 2 for Carminat, but deliberately refuse to do so for any others. It surprises me too - why not sell maps, with the proviso that they may not work/install and may crunch the devices, your own risk, no guarantees, no support AND NO REFUNDS. Why should they be concerned about piracy when they refuse to sell on their own website? They are losing income which they obviously don't want!

I suspect the witchcraft is somehow telling TT it's a Carminat, not a 740 etc. My GO520 has just about died, but it did still get its final map update to v1025, whilst other users have been told their devices can't work with it. It's dishonest and deserves similar reactions from disgruntled users.

DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
My point now is that TomTom will happily support Nav 2 for Carminat, but deliberately refuse to do so for any others. It surprises me too - why not sell maps, with the proviso that they may not work/install and may crunch the devices, your own risk, no guarantees, no support AND NO REFUNDS. Why should they be concerned about piracy when they refuse to sell on their own website? They are losing income which they obviously don't want!

I suspect the witchcraft is somehow telling TT it's a Carminat, not a 740 etc. My GO520 has just about died, but it did still get its final map update to v1025, whilst other users have been told their devices can't work with it. It's dishonest and deserves similar reactions from disgruntled users.

I suspect Renault may have something to do with the support being continued like the UK government paying to keep XP supported beyond the end of its lifecycle date.
After sales can be a pain and can general very little revenue (even eating into your profits) especially if like TomTom you’ve manufactured a whole plethora of devices all requiring different map structures and formats. The more complicated the OS leads to more issues arising and more resources will be required to fix complex bugs and issues etc ...so get your users to buy a new basic device that uses a common platform... even if the new devices are a pile of crap.
It’s all about the bottom line and customer satisfaction comes in way down the line.
If TomTom manufactured a proper device with features that you similarly found in the 910, 750 or 950 and storage you could access for customisations I’d buy it in a flash. A borderless screen, Wifi and perhaps a dash cam would be welcome additions for many users... buy it ain't gonna happen is it . Crying or Very sad
FYI...
The maps for the Carminat are exactly the same format as used by all Nav2 devices running Navcore 7.9xx.
There are a few files missing that complemented the map like pronunciation correction for place names etc but it’s not an issue as the GO 910 couldn’t say them correctly even with the file.
Understandably I can’t go into the technicalities of how you do it but Google will.
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GPS week count reset is nearly upon as it happens at 23:59:42 tonight!
According to information gleaned from the internet the problem may not manifest itself in device for a long time to come.
If a firmware released for a device restarted the week count it could potentially be many years before the problem occurs.
As the x10’s received their last OS update in 2008 they could potentially run for another 9 years before the bug hits... unlikely but possible.
If TomTom were really proactive and used a 13-bit field in their older devices then we really have nothing to worry about.
As TomTom are being so frugal with the details of affected devices it's open to speculation what will happen to their older devices.
You can read more about it here:
https://www.spirent.com/blogs/positioning/2018/january/gps-rollover-week

Last edited by DeLorean on Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few sites I fell across said it may affect date/time but navigation should be unaffected.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
A few sites I fell across said it may affect date/time but navigation should be unaffected.

Navigation shouldn't (hopefully) be affected but other important aspects may.
The problem is that many devices use the GPS derived date and time to tag data and files which are used for various aspect of navigation.
If you look at your old TomTom device's storage or Garmin, these date/timestamps are used all over the place in file system storage, databases and within files.
If the date/time is wrong then the problems it could cause are probably unknown unless the manufacturer has researched the issue thoroughly.
So your time/date of arrival could be wrong, RDS-TMC information could be incorrect and/or any other features apart from simple navigation.
I guess we’ll just have to sit back and see what happens.
If you have a GPS device than records in NMEA format then you should be able to see the week rollover in the NMEA sentence.
https://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/nmea.htm

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: