Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Honda Connect 2015 on
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Honda Connect 2015 on
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Honda Connect 2015 on Reply with quote

It is possible to load any .GPI file onto the Honda Connect unit as fitted to various Honda models from 2015. Civic and CRV have been tested.

It's being reported that they only make a bong but considering the test has been completed using a Cyclops GPI that's hardly surprising.

It's a bit of a faff as it involves having to go through the complete 'map update' scenario each time and can take up to half an hour (reported)

I'll post more details soon.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From 'bog' at Civinfo.com

This applies to Honda's with the Honda Connect Android System with Garmin Navigation (9G Civic, CR-V, Jazz and HR-V)

This will install the standard Garmin Cyclops Safety Camera Alerts onto your Garmin Navigation. You get red speed camera icons in the same style as the other POI's and banner alerts with double chime sound at the top of the screen similar to traffic alerts.

It's really easy to do, but takes a little time as you have to perform a map update on your system.

Firstly get yourself a blank USB key (min 8gb, max 32gb). Then go here and follow the instruction to update your maps:

https://honda.garmin.com/honda/index.html

Don't worry if you've recently updated your maps, you won't use up your free updates. The 5 free updates Honda give refers to the annual Garmin update... you can download each map/update as many times as you want within that 5 year period.

When done you should have a USB key with lots of files/folders on it.

Next go here and download the latest unlocked Cyclops Database.

[Link not included as it looks like cracked Cyclops files]

It is a zip file with several .GPI files. Extract the file relevant to you/your region.

Then copy and paste the file(s) into the POI folder that is on your USB key. Don't delete the other .GPI in the folder as that is all the other POI's for your system.

Then take the USB key to your car and update the maps as normal.

Once updated, you will get the alerts automatically when you are near a camera.

To enable the sound, you will have to reset/restore the Garmin App (NOT the Connect system). Don't worry, it's not as drastic as it sounds... it just resets the Garmin settings back to default (and enables the alert sounds). You don't lose the history or saved favourites etc. You just have to set units, map colour etc.

That's it

P.S. - You dont have to use the Cyclops database, you can use SCDB, Pocket GPS or another POI file, but you will have to combine the location file (CSV etc) with the icon files into a .GPI file using a tool like Garmins POI Loader. Only Cyclops files play the alert sounds. SCBD do a pre-made .GPI file for you to download (Paid - but not expensive)

Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
WHGAUNT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: 2017 Honda Civic Touring Reply with quote

I tried to add the Garmin Cyclops Safety Camera Alerts to my 2017 Honda Civic using the file from my Garmin Drive Smart 61 which I have a Red Light and Speed Camera Subscription. I used the file USCanadaCyclopsSaple.gpi and copied it to the POI folder in the USB key. But after I did the update the Red Light Cameras did not work. Can you tell me why?

Thanks, Bill
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a guess, but possibly because the Cyclops database is locked to your Garmin? That doesn't explain why only redlights work though.
WHGAUNT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: 2017 Honda Civic Touring Reply with quote

No the red lights did not work.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The posts I've seen on the Honda site say that you need the unlocked Cyclops database.

The link to the pirated Cyclops database is removed as soon as someone tries to post it.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
pigsy10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Cyclops not available Reply with quote

The pirated Cyclops GPI fles are no longer available in the UK.
Is there a way of converting CSV files from this site to GPI?
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Cyclops not available Reply with quote

pigsy10 wrote:
Is there a way of converting CSV files from this site to GPI?

The (free) software that performs this function, is called POILoader - available for download from Garmin, here: https://www8.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=927

Instructions for its use are to be found here and here

However ...

for them to actually work (i.e. sound an alert), you have to reset the Garmin software before every journey. Personally, I don't find that overly practical Crying or Very sad
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But providing you select POIs on, they do show up on the screen all that time.
One other problem with that is, if you do the Restore thing, you get two icons for all the cams (unless you switch POIs off) but you do get the banner and voice alerts.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I raised a support call with Garmin...
...I'm not holding my breath Rolling Eyes
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda do not support safety cameras on their Connect unit so you're unlikely to get a satisfactory reply.

The ploy that does get them to work is just that, a ploy because behind the scenes Garmin does accept .GPI files albeit a faff.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only likely response from Garmin will be to redirect you to Honda, but I will be interested if they prove me wrong.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
The only likely response from Garmin will be to redirect you to Honda

...and I'm sure we can both imagine how that will pan out Wink

(Before I picked up my Civic, I asked Honda if there were any special running-in procedures - the Honda USA manual says 'yes', but the UK manual is silent on the subject. Honda's response was "we don't know - better ask a dealer" ... which utterly beggars belief Shocked

I look forward to asking Honda how to get the voices and vehicles back, that the Garmin destroyed - albeit with some encouragement from me)

The thing about the alerts, is that it's not missing functionality ... it appears to be a straight-forward bug. I can't see how anyone could make a case for it being expected behaviour...
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:20 am    Post subject: Garmin response ... Reply with quote

Against all the odds, I've had an initial sensible response from Garmin - asking what exactly is happening and how I'm resetting the device.

We'll have to wait and see if this develops into anything useful Shocked
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have Garmin realised it's a built in Honda unit with Garmin embedded ?

I know when I was communicating with them regarding their recent traffic transmission issues they often didn't read the question properly.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: