Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NEW OS 1:25000 Entire UK due 8th Oct
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NEW OS 1:25000 Entire UK due 8th Oct
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tOpCaT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: NEW OS 1:25000 Entire UK due 8th Oct Reply with quote

On the Anquet website they say that you can buy OS 1:25000 scale maps of the entire UK from 8th October. That's today.

I just rang the sales line and they don't know what's going on! Embarassed They are going to ring me back with some info later on and I'll post it here as soon as I know.
tOpCaT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're finally on the website! However, there appear to be 117 of them and they retail at £100 EACH! So that's a bit of a shame if you want the whole set (nearly twelve bags!! 8O )

Here's the link:

http://www.anquet.co.uk/product.asp?id=2499
maubp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Smile , but £100 each :o

The lakes are now covered by two maps (£100 each). I wonder if their original single product for the whole of the lake district (£80) will be phased out, or what?

Similarly for Snowdonia and the Yorkshire Dales, old single product for £80, or under the new system two maps at £100 each.
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same hike from £80 for 1 map to £200 for 2 maps for the Peak District too. Looks like a marketing dept trying to be clever to me. I had been on the point of buying Anquet, but will not now.
tOpCaT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be worth remembering that you also get aerial photographs with the new maps which you didn't with the old ones. Mind you, if you don't want the aerial photographs that comes as cold comfort...

I too was on the verge of buying Anquet but my thinking has been running thus:

I can get the ENTIRE UK in 1:50,000 for about £200 (being Landranger maps 1-204) with no aerial photographs or I can get the ENTIRE UK in 1:25,000 with aerial photographs (and maybe some extra right to roam information) for £11700. Hang on a minute, that doesn't seem right. Wouldn't £800 be more reasonable (since we're talking two dimensions, so at double the resolution in each direction it's kind of four times as much data)??? What shall I do? Getting the North and South of Britain map sets for £100 each (1:50000) seems the only logical choice at the moment...

Anyway, what does everyone else think about this? Can anyone else make any other suggestion as to where I can obtain 1:25000 map data, with the whole UK being available, at a sensible price?
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you want to buy the whole country at 1:25,000?

You could just buy the National Park series 1:25,000 maps for the areas that may require the finer detail. I use 1:50,000 for walking in the Lakes, Yorkshire Dales and Peak District and find it adequate.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
tOpCaT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icsys: If 1:50,000 is adequate for walking in the places you mentioned then I reckon I'll probably just buy those and thanks for the advice. Out of interest, which software do you use for this? Is it Anquet, Memory-Map or what?

As for my reasons for wanting the whole lot, I dunno. I guess it's just because I'm a bit of an anorak! Laughing
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

As it happens I use Anquet.

If you are unsure as to the scale you think is best, don't just take my word for it. Download the demo maps from either Anquet or Memory Map and look at them first. They will give you a good indication.
If you already have a paper Landranger map then you can expect the same detail with the electronic version.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
tOpCaT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'll rephrase that last question...

Since I reckon you've got Anquet, have you used any of the competitors and are they any cop?
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends what you want to do with the software.

Anquet is fine for creating routes on the PC or even downloading from Anquet's database of routes, and transfering them to a PDA or handheld. It will track your position with remarkable accuracy when set to WGS84.

If you want more functionality, like creating routes on-the-fly plus many more, go for Memory Map. I have asked for more functionality in Anquet's PPC companion but the cost of OS licensing is
restrictive (or so I am told)

I would discount Fugawi at this stage - others may disagree.

I suggest reading up on the different products before committing yourself to see what's best for you.
Map-wise, there should be no difference.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
tOpCaT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I think I'll try Anquet then, what with them being a British company and therefore possibly more interested in supporting the OS mapping side than Memory Map (or, to put it another way, Memory Map might be able to survive without UK customers whereas Anquet wouldn't). I've certainly read on this forum that Anquet seem to provide the best support.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't knock their support... it's spot on (or has been for me).

Unless you're absolutely sure, I would still check out the others for your own peace of mind.
Not that I want to put you off Anquet, on the contrary, the more products they sell the more they can enhance the software. And to date, all upgrades have been free to registered users.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
IanM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memory Map do the whole country at 1:25000 via their Selections service. The website has a "Coming Soon" sort of message but I sent them an email and ordered 10,000sqkm at £200 (they also do 2500sqkm and 5000sqkm but at a higher cost per area). The beauty of it is that you can select the exact area that you require using a route as an outline. My area was extremely odd in that I wanted to include relatives' areas as well, but that wasn't a problem.

However their data is pretty out-of-date. I stupidly ordered in late August, so just before the new "Right to Roam" paper maps came out for my area. The digital map I received is from 1998 (it matches my paper map of that date), so 6 years out of date! I've got the new paper map and a lot has changed in that time. Anquet are specifically stating that they have the new "Right to Roam" maps, so I assumed that Memory Map would as well. I sent them an email asking how much it would be to upgrade to the latest data, but they said that they would have to wait for the OS to send them the new maps and that wouldn't happen until sometime next year.

So it looks like Anquet have got a big headstart at the moment in terms of the currentness of the data, but I can recommend Memory Map for the flexibility in specifying the area that you require. As long as you don't mind getting 6 year-old data (in the case of my local area).

Cheers,
Ian.
tOpCaT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 years out of date! 8O

Thanks for that info Ian. I think I'll have to have a bit more of a think. I wonder how old the Anquet 1:50000 map data is...
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Anquet CD's I have say Crown Copyright 2004 but I would check with Anquet support for exact dates.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Anquet All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: