Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New 40mph speed limit on A40 West London
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New 40mph speed limit on A40 West London
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markjw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: New 40mph speed limit on A40 West London Reply with quote

TFL has changed the speed limits on the A40 in West London in the area around the Northolt (A312) and Greenford (A4127) junctions - this is around the section where there was a 30mph limit due to central barrier issues.

Note, currently there are NO start of the 40mph limit signs in place on the eastbound carriageway only 40mph repeaters and no return to 50 signs on the westbound, again only 50mph repeaters.

Signage problems were reported to TFL but they were less than interested in the issues.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where exactly is this ?

I know it was 50 from the Polish through to Hoovers. I can't remember where it all changed westbound but I do still have the old limits on dashcam footage. I did a run last year from the Polish to Gypsy corner and back.

I'm not surprised because even with Specs from the Polish right through to the Marylebone road there are still a load of bumps.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New 40mph speed limit on A40 West London Reply with quote

markjw wrote:
TFL has changed the speed limits on the A40 in West
Note, currently there are NO start of the 40mph limit signs in place on the eastbound carriageway only 40mph repeaters and no return to 50 signs on the westbound, again only 50mph repeaters.

Signage problems were reported to TFL but they were less than interested in the issues.

If not then the speed limit cannot be enforced Wink
markjw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been back down there tonight:

1. 50MPH signs at RAF Northolt eastbound replaced with 40MPH
2. There are at least two 50mph repeater signs eastbound after the 40MPH sign
3. The signs on the entry slip at the Polish War Memorial eastbound are still 50MPH

I've sent a formal complaint to TfL and a copy to my MP as this is not TfLs first screwup with the speed limit signage on the A40 (National Speed Limit signs on the westbound exit slip at Uxbridge B467/B483 instead of 30MPH)

I have video footage from tonight showing the wrong signage
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds a real cockup.

Can't really do anything to drivers who enter the A40 at the Polish as they have been informed 50 whilst those who've come from Hillingdon have been informed 40.

I wonder what the specs are set to ?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
markjw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
That sounds a real cockup.

cockup looks even worse - https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/3099689

3. The general nature and effect of the Order is reduce the maximum speed limit from 50 m.p.h. to 40 m.p.h. on:
(1) both carriageways of the A40 Western Avenue between a point approximately 90 metres west of the eastbound off-slip road to Target Roundabout and a point approximately 140 metres east of the westbound off-slip road to Argyle Road;

well the new 40mph signs are around 1700 meters (ie RAF Northolt) from the eastbound Target slip, not 90 meters
toyracer69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why they changed it?
Not that it ever makes any sense what they do to the roads...... Idea Question
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so they've dropped the limit from 50 to 40 but from your observations not changed all signs yet Rolling Eyes

This is a situation where a dashcam would he vital evidence when you are ticketed doing 50 after the last sign indicated such.

According to that Gazette article they also mention Long Lane which is way back where the 70 drops to 60. What's that got to do with it ?

Also, they mention Argyle road which is where the 50 dropped to 40 so I assume it's now 40 all the way from the Polish to the Marylebone road.

That article is a gobbledegook mess how I read it.

To be fair to their decision though, if it stops the daily A40 car park, as the temporary 40 limit on the M25 western section did in 2004/5 then it could be worthwhile.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not as extreme as the cock-up in this thread but we had a road reduced to 30 from 40 not so long back but the council left the 40mph repeater signs up for a few months after changing the larger starter sign to 30! It's like they thought "oh, it's 30 so we don't need repeater signs" forgetting that they needed toe 40 repeater signs from before...!!
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been out and I've got the whole thing on dashcam.

It's still 60 from Hillingdon and 50 from the Polish but does drop soon after, all the way through to Hoovers/Hangar Lane where it was 40 anyway.

Just doing the verifying bits now ...................

My DashCam doesn't play ball with signs but there are a few of these that say:

"From Sunday 9th September the Speed Limit is 40 mph, follow the signs"

Idiot alert - I broke off the A40 (Westbound) at the Target so I didn't capture where it goes back to 50 so I can't verify camera 175844. It's currently 50 and may still be correct.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
markjw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen - thanks for the info, I was hoping to drive down myself this evening and take a look but traffic was too bad.

Suspect 175844 should be 40mph from the traffic order given its' position on the map (checked StreetView and map position looks right):
(1) both carriageways of the A40 Western Avenue between a point approximately 90 metres west of the eastbound off-slip road to Target Roundabout
175844 is on the map as being east of this location, within the slip road area. If I can get down there I'll take a look as to exact locations of signs relative to the camera.

There is also a mistake in the Traffic Order - it reads:
5) Long Lane from its junction with the A40 Western Avenue to a point approximately 15 metres northwards.

this should read '5) Long DRIVE from its junction' as they are talking about the side road by Dunelm not the A437 in Hillingdon
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta

Going towards London the Polish is still 50 as are another 2 50mph signs after it.

The first 40 marker is just where the Eastbound A40 to Target off slip starts. I would guess that the other side may be the same (40 to 50) but I'll try to get out there again before next Wednesdays update.

When I joined the A40 (westbound) at the Polish, the black and white NSL signs were prominent so it's definately back to 70 by that point.

Just to be thorough I'll join at Greenford and break off at the Polish next time as it may change under the Target flyover and joining there I may miss it again.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
markjw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen - took a run from Polish War Memorial to Greenford roundabout and back again this morning:

EASTBOUND:
1. 50mph signs on the eastbound entry slip at Polish War Memorial have been replaced with correct sized ones
2. Last 50 repeater eastbound is just after the 200m exit marking for Northolt
3. First 40 repeater eastbound is just before the footbridge over the eastbound exit slip for Northolt (level with the chevrons)
4. Did not see any main 40 signs eastbound between the last 50 and first 40 repeaters.
5. New 40 sign entering eastbound from Long Drive

WESTBOUND:
1. New 40 sign on the westbound entry slip at Greenford, just after the pedestrian lights
2. Last 40 repeater is just before the chevrons at the westbound exit slip for Northolt
3. First 50 repeaters (pair) are west of camera 175844 just after the footbridge passes over the A40.
4. Did not see any main 50 signs between the last 40 repeater and the first 50 repeater.

If you would like a copy of the videos to save you a trip down there I can upload them to a server for you (4 of them totalling around 1.6Gb)

Mark
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it all sussed now, been out for a walk .........

Got a better shot of one of the numerous warnings:

Westbound:

The entry slip signs at the Target are correct because when you reach the Specs at the bottom of the slip the 50mph signs are only yards away:

Therefore End Specs 175844 is still correct.

The 50mph limit then changes to the 70mph NSL just before the Polish:

So all sorted, thanks for the headsup.

Proper Job
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... what, if anything, needs changing on the database?

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: