Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Apple CarPlay Adds Third Party Navigation Apps - At Last
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple CarPlay Adds Third Party Navigation Apps - At Last

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Apple CarPlay Adds Third Party Navigation Apps - At Last Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Apple announced the forthcoming iOS 12 update at their World Wide Developers Conference (WWDC) on Monday.

Hidden amongst a long list of updates was news that CarPlay is to gain support for third party navigation apps at long last. Currently the only navigation app available is Apple's own Maps app.

Fans of Google's own Maps app and Waze will be pleased and it's hoped that TomTom will look to making their navigation apps available on CarPlay, we've reached out to them but not yet had confirmation on this.

The WWDC session covering CarPlay is available here

email icon

timmys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom now need to pick up the ball and bring their iOS app up to the standard of their standalone units. The writing's on the wall for standalone units so this is their last chance to actually get back in the game for the future - bet they won't though.
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Timmys, hopefully it will allow any and all navigation apps to be used, some are better at different tasks than others, such as POI handling.
steveJ
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering how TomTom abandoned their app users by discontinuing app updates to ‘concentrate’ on their own dedicated sat nav products, then I very much doubt that Apples Carplay will be anywhere near the top of their list.
I may be wrong, I certainly hope so, but I for one won’t be holding my breath!
steveJ
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a follow up on my previous post, I’d be interested to know if we will still be able to run CamerAlert as a background app if we’re using Google Maps or Waze in Apple Carplay? Or is it a case that we won’t know until ios12 is officially released?

Steve
g0tch
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Rant Reply with quote

I couldn’t let this go without commenting. What exciting news! (Sarcasm). I’m sick and tired of everyone (meaning companies) thinking that the world is revolving around Apple. Apple first, sod the rest is the motto. It’s just an easy way out. Take Fords latest Sync 3, you can only use Waze from an Apple phone to communicate with the system. TomTom and Apple make a good pair. Both with stupid locked down OS’s.
Rant over!
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Rant Reply with quote

g0tch wrote:
I couldn’t let this go without commenting. What exciting news! (Sarcasm). I’m sick and tired of everyone (meaning companies) thinking that the world is revolving around Apple. Apple first, sod the rest is the motto. It’s just an easy way out. Take Fords latest Sync 3, you can only use Waze from an Apple phone to communicate with the system. TomTom and Apple make a good pair. Both with stupid locked down OS’s.
Rant over!

It's not a rant in my book.
Spacerat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Camera Alert to be CarPlay compliant? Reply with quote

Hi all
So does this mean the CA will be CarPlay compliant, or do Apple make you jump through too many hops to get the software approved?
Rob

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: