Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Combine your strengths
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Combine your strengths

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mordorf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Combine your strengths Reply with quote

I sent this email to pocketgpsworld and navigating.de. It seems that support@pocketgpsworld.com is unmonitored so I am posting it here in the hope it will be read.

Hi Pocketgpsworld and Navigating.de,
It strikes me that you are both the best in individual aspects of Speed Camera alerting but neither of you have got it completely right.
POIbase is an amazing app but the camera database really sucks. Where as the pocketgpsworld database is amazing but the app sucks.
Surely it would benefit everyone if you combined your strengths. You'd have an app that would be truly unbeatable. People would pay for that on an annual subscription as people do currently for pocketgpsworld. I've currently stopped using pocketgpsworld and not renewed my subscription because the app is so outdated. I'm sure I'm not alone in doing this.
Come on guys, join forces and make the world a better and safer place. Concentrate on what you are good at.

Thanks
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly what would you like to see of an 'updated' CamerAlert?
Many people have said it needs updating, but never actually suggested what needs doing.
Mordorf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things I think it needs.

Start/Stop on bluetooth
Auto database update
Stability improvements
Android Auto support and iphone equiv
Display on when camera in range and display off when none (screen burn protection)

Think that about covers it for me.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start/Stop on bluetooth - pretty sure this could be done with something like Tasker
Auto database update - on the list
Display on when camera in range and display off when none (screen burn protection) - settings / map options - show map / near camera - pretty much does what you're asking

MaFt
Mordorf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why should I need to use another app to make it do what it should do by itself.
I have tried to get tasker to do it for a number of years and have not managed to get it to do it reliably.

If you want to stay in business I'd suggest you listen to your users. I've seen so many business fail in the past due to simply not listening to their customers.

There are other apps that are much, much better than cameralert but you do have a very good database. Needs both halves though.

I suggested you partner up with POIbase as it seems that you can't be bothered to update your own app for whatever reason.

I have also noted your bluntness with some of your responses to threads within these forums. People are simply trying to help by making suggestions. Don't take it as a personal attack.
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the quality of the data which is important, not the glossiness of the front end. I looked at other apps for travelling overseas more than the UK. The data is poor to put it mildly. I checked their coverage of the UK, France and Spain and none of them had the coverage. The best sources were similar sites to this one but no apps.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mordorf wrote:
Why should I need to use another app to make it do what it should do by itself.
I have tried to get tasker to do it for a number of years and have not managed to get it to do it reliably.

To use a similar style of response to you:

Why should we add a feature that only one person wants when that can already be done using Tasker? Hook into Car Mode or Car Dock Mode. In Settings / Advanced look for those. If Tasker can activate 'Car Dock Mode' when you connect to Bluetooth then CamerAlert can automatically start when it detects that trigger.

Sorry you feel I was being defensive. I was simply giving a few suggestions which could reduce your wishlist.

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Combine your strengths Reply with quote

Mordorf wrote:
I've currently stopped using pocketgpsworld and not renewed my subscription because the app is so outdated.
That of course is your prerogative. But it's not the app that you were paying your subs for, it's the data.
So you have found a better app with similar data quality that does exactly what you want? Please tell us about it.

And I don't think that telling a provider that his app or data 'sucks' will earn you any smarty points or get him to actually listen to what you have to say, especially when you say 'it sucks' without explaining why.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, I do agree that the PGPSW app could be improved. Fixing the long outstanding zoom fully in fault would be good.

WHY CAN'T I EDIT MY DAMN POST HERE?
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixing the sound volume problem would encourage me to start using it again. I have requested this before as have others!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
Fixing the sound volume problem would encourage me to start using it again. I have requested this before as have others!

I thought we'd found a workaround for this? Simply adjust the volume on the device when the audio is playing.

Or is this a different issue?

What is your audio output set-up?
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
IanS100 wrote:

I thought we'd found a workaround for this? Simply adjust the volume on the device when the audio is playing.

Or is this a different issue?

What is your audio output set-up?

Audio output setup is to play through device speaker, adjusting the volume adjusts / lowers the volume for all apps which isn't really a solution.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: