Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Drive 50
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Drive 50

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hypnotist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Garmin Drive 50 Reply with quote

After 8months approx I've gone back to a TomTom Start 25, mainly due to the bizarre routes the Garmin took me down, when there were very obvious direct routes available, which the new Start 25 does.

Garmin didn't work out to well for me in Cornwall.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck
cottonsocks
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Drive 50 Reply with quote

hypnotist wrote:
After 8months approx I've gone back to a TomTom Start 25, mainly due to the bizarre routes the Garmin took me down, when there were very obvious direct routes available, which the new Start 25 does.

Garmin didn't work out to well for me in Cornwall.

Reluctantly, I've had to do the same, partly for problems with the routing and partly because of the lack of road numbers provided at complex roundabout junctions. I do prefer the Garmin Driveluxe hardware and some of the other features, but for basic routing from A to B, my new TomTom GO6200 seems much better (no deviating off pre-planned routes either) and I can add POIs and routes in advance from any Internet-connected PC or mobile, including using the excellent MyRoute-app from tyre (for routes at least). I shall keep my Garmin for the time being to see how things develop, or don't as the case may be.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Drive never deviates off pre-planned routes, and with BaseCamp and indeed 3rd party programs you can send routes and POIs/waypoints to your Drive, I do it pretty much every day

I take your point re road numbers but it's never bothered me, if I'm told to take the 3rd exit at a roundabout I'm not fussed what it's called, whether it's a road number or name.
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with cottonsocks regarding the devices

I ended up getting a Go6200 last month (got a deal from tomtom with case and 4 year extra care for £273 instead of £383) and so far happy with it, yes I prefer the design build of the driveluxe 50 and the ability to use pgpsw speedcameras on it, but the go6200 does have better routing (not sending me down dirt tracks like the DL50 was), i can plan a route on pc or mobile and send it to my device, something you can't do with the garmin and the limited smartlink app.

my driveluxe 50 is gathering dust at the moment until decide what to do with it.

If I want to still use PGPSW cameras I can on my spare mobile Smile
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can plan a route on my PC and send it to the Garmin. I use MapPoint as I find Basecamp user unfriendly.

With TT I'd be worried they would deem it obsolete with little warning.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never tried mappoint. .. must do so sometime. Does it read the map from your device?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. I haven't done it in a while but I seem to remember MapPoints route export function produces a file that is fully compatible.

I did demo it to M8 in the summer and it worked a treat for him as well.

I prefer MapPoint, albeit old maps, as the initial routing is better and the drag and drop route adjust is better than Basecamp (for me anyway).
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

even though can plan route on pc and send it to the device, i don't as rarely use it these days unless doing my photo's.

i tend to send from my mobile or tablet instead
Marigold9
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Sorry to hijack this thread a bit but I'm getting increasingly frustrated with my DriveSmart 50.

In the countryside it's sending me off down country lanes rather than staying on the main roads and in towns I'm going through housing estates!

Reading above it looks like it's just something it does?

My old but reliable Streetpilot 2610 allowed types of roads (M-ways, A roads etc.) to have different speeds/preferences and was brilliant at sticking to the most sensible route.

I'm guessing there's nothing like that on the Drivesmart?

I'm even thinking of getting one of the 7" Double DIN units with GPS and fitting that.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Thanks.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ensure you have fastest time set in routing and no strange avoidances set. While I do find that my DS50 does occasionally take me off a main road the route it finds is often faster. The caveat here is that if you're in an area with narrow roads, possibly with passing places, that sort of route may not be quicker.

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about this other than view the route on screen before you start off to see if there are any strange route choices that you'd like to avoid and insert a waypoint appropriately.

You may also find it better for you if you turn off TrafficTrends as that attempts to predict traffic patterns and route you accordingly. That can often send you via secondary roads at certain times of day to avoid normal congestion.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marigold9 wrote:
I'm even thinking of getting one of the 7" Double DIN units with GPS and fitting that
Just be a bit circumspect. You might just pay a lot of money for something that is no better than what you have ATM.
Marigold9
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

I'll hang fire on the "built in" GPS units and see what I can live with on the Garmin.

Cheers.

Andy.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: