Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Jeremy Clarkson Says Speeding Makes You Clever
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeremy Clarkson Says Speeding Makes You Clever
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black - because the DM (for the acronym-thick like me, that’s Daily Mail) has got it wrong.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't mention forum-rage Very Happy

Merry Xmas
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Davidonly
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Definitely have a dash cam so I can report drivers who drive dangerously. Every time I've done so the police have acted.

However getting back to your idea that you're so brilliant you can ignore traffic laws please just carry on but when you cock up, as one day you will, please just ensure you kill yourself and not others. Far too often I've attended RTCs where speeding was a factor and unfortunately more often than not it's the innocent who die and not the one who believed, like you, that his driving 'skill' was way beyond his actual ability. Ask 100 drivers whether they feel they are an above average driver and consistently you get around 90% who say they are, which means around one in every two who think they're above average actually must be below average. I suspect not only do you ignore speed limits but also other road laws, and any other law you feel is stupid. Anti social is the phrase that comes to mind, merry Christmas.

You are clearly incapable of understanding any of the points i am trying to make. So I'll have another go!

How can a 'speed' alone determine 'safety' : unless it's zero any speed is a potential risk factor - and all transport systems require movement! How do you know what speed to carry at a given part of the road under a range of conditions? Please explain how you approach controlling that parameter? But also: which other factors do you consider in your analysis?
Davidonly
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the use of personal attacks based on sweeping assumptions suggests a severe weakness in the underlying logic being used by contributors to this thread. Engaging in discussion is tricky when confronted by such attitudes. So here are some facts.

Fact. I have never had any accidents related to my use of speed and have never had any 'at fault' insurance claims. Fact: I have a clean licence. Fact I am simply describing how one can make safe and sensible use of speed. I have driven a long way all over the world for work and pleasure over many years. I am still learning as a driver and have developed car handling skills proactively to support that. I still have a lot to learn but I know that.

Why the single topic of speed in relation to a road sign gets you all so hot around the collar is beyond me! Why you are so convinced that some 'expert' is capable of defining the safe speed for miles of road with a single sign is also surprising. There is MUCH more to driving than speed. It receives a huge level of focus just because it is so easy to measure. No other reason can explain why.

Being smug and 'quipping' away in the way you do here is rather sad. I know I am partially guilty of some of that too - I have a generally low opinion of 'dash cam warriors' having watched some of their footage on You Tube and listened to the pious comments they make. Most of them seem to belong to the professionally offended class. Many drive into avoidable situations because the feel they have the 'right of way' or some such nonsense. I would tend to ease off and avoid much sooner than they do and I seldom remonstrate with another road user. We all make mistakes for goodness sake.

So I apologise if I upset who-ever it is here that enjoys those devices.

I do not apologise for applying a great deal of thought to driving or for resisting the ever increasing level of state control I see in this domain. We should not welcome that: period. It's not a healthy way to organise a society.

'Speeding' is now an industry - and even those responsible for enforcement have admitted openly, one that has little to do with 'safety'.

I'll sign off by pointing out that 75% of motorway users want the UK NSL to move to 80mph at least. Most other countries run 81 mph. Texas has now got 85mph roads. We all know how it works in Germany. So is 70mph (set by arbitrary guess work in the 1960's) really likely to be the 'correct' limit for people in the UK?
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I suggest a truce please?

Neither side is going to win and it shall just lead to division and acrimony.

I sit on the fence here. Currently,I drive within the speed limit, but, in bygone times I have made progress and driven at an "appropriate speed".

Sadly, road laws are dumbed down to the stupidest of people driving at the lowest of their ability in the worst of conditions. Unfortunately, we all have to comply, regardless of how "superior" we are.

So if your motto is - "We pays our money and takes our choice". I touch wood, I wish you well and hope that your decision does not affect the lives of others. For, heavens knows, I do see some idiots on the roads driving at inappropriate speeds making the stupidest of manoeuvres and, forgive me, I do hope that they crash and burn. Alone. Darwinian style.

We all know that if the powers of be were really serious about saving lives, the first thing to tackle would be smoking, but there is no money to be made in doing that.

So, for the the sake of the site, please accept this White Flag moment.

Back to the OP and to get back on topic.

Jeremy Clarkson.
Arse or not?

For me, The BBC Jeremry Clarkson = A bit of a lad with a point to make.
The Amazon Jeremy Clarkson = Self publicising Arse, pushing the point a bit too far.

EDITED. several times.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: